website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

59 minutes ago, Agger said:

We had a few tie breaks in Iowa done by a coin toss.

But now it's Nevada and how could they do it if not by drawing a card? :p

Slot machine :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, it’s been a productive day. Wrote the quiz, wrote the articles, got a new pair of running shoes (so I can start running again), and I went to vote. LA County has a voting period of 14 days for all elections now. There are a few designated places in the county where you can vote. The voting is all electronic, and it’s a fantastic improvement on the old paper ballot system. 

I was able to vote as a non-aligned (since my old party isn’t recognized by California) in the Democratic Primary. I spent a few minutes seriously thinking about vote before lodging one for Sanders. My heart kept saying Warren, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I actually regret not voting for her now.

I also voted on the other stuff too. Yes to more money (taxes) to pay for schools, hiring more firefighters, and funding our city hospital. Wasn’t that interested in the local races. Didn’t vote McCarthy (for obvious reasons) for House Representative. Hoping the Democratic Party doesn’t nominate the pedophile for our local state representative again.

Now all I can do is wait for the results from California and rest of the country :yes

753C27E7-517D-447E-B136-3B57F45A949F.jpeg

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, it’s been a productive day. Wrote the quiz, wrote the articles, got a new pair of running shoes (so I can start running again), and I went to vote. LA County has a voting period of 14 days for all elections now. There are a few designated places in the county where you can vote. The voting is all electronic, and it’s a fantastic improvement on the old paper ballot system. 

I was able to vote as a non-aligned (since my old party isn’t recognized by California) in the Democratic Primary. I spent a few minutes seriously thinking about vote before lodging one for Sanders. My heart kept saying Warren, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I actually regret not voting for her now.

I also voted on the other stuff too. Yes to more money (taxes) to pay for schools, hiring more firefighters, and funding our city hospital. Wasn’t that interested in the local races. Didn’t vote McCarthy (for obvious reasons) for House Representative. Hoping the Democratic Party doesn’t nominate the pedophile for our local state representative again.

Now all I can do is wait for the results from California and rest of the country :yes

Oh dear...

8 minutes ago, Agger said:

Oh dear...

You begin by putting a specially designed (with security protocols) paper in to the machine. It then records you votes, and prints them onto the paper. It then prints out you paper and let’s you read it and check it for errors. You then put the paper back in the machine, and cast your votes. The paper records are stored so they can be checked.

Bernie has already been declared the winner by CBS, AP, NBC, and FOX with less than 5% of the vote counted in the Nevada. It looks like he could win by a margin of 25%. He has done better than expected, and he’s been able to win 55% of the Latino vote (which is very surprising). Biden is holding second over Buttigieg. Warren is the only other candidate in double digits. Klobuchar is doing horribly. This is my one political post for the night :yes

I get to vote in my very first US election next month (all the primaries in Texas are on March 3rd, not just the one for president). We'll see how voting machines compare to the good old paper ballots they use in Canada.

The biggest difference, though, is the huge number of elections going on. I have to figure out who to vote for in the US senate primary, the state house primary, the board of education primary, the railway commission primary (despite it's name, the Texas Railroad commission has absolutely nothing to do with railways but rather deal with regulating the oil and gas industry) and various judicial primaries. No US House primary (my district has a Democratic incumbent who is running unopposed in the primaries) or state senate primary (my state senator got elected to a four year term during the midterms - in Texas during the midterms half the senators get elected to two year terms and the other half to four year terms, determined by lottery).

Edited by NearPup

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

I get to vote in my very first US election next month (all the primaries in Texas are on March 3rd, not just the one for president). We'll see how voting machines compare to the good old paper ballots they use in Canada.

The biggest difference, though, is the huge number of elections going on. I have to figure out who to vote for in the US senate primary, the state house primary, the board of education primary, the railway commission primary (despite it's name, the Texas Railroad commission has absolutely nothing to do with railways but rather deal with regulating the oil and gas industry) and various judicial primaries. No US House primary (my district has a Democratic incumbent who is running unopposed in the primaries) or state senate primary (my state senator got elected to a four year term during the midterms - in Texas during the midterms half the senators get elected to two year terms and the other half to four year terms, determined by lottery).

Welcome to the big leagues :p

That’s mostly how it is in California too. Make sure you’re registered on time, and that you’ve filled out the necessary paperwork. Texas is a red state, which means the voting laws are generally much more strict. I recommended Ballotpedia, isidewith, and votersedge to inform your vote. There will most likely be even more elections in November by the way. Good luck!

#TeamPaperBallots

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Welcome to the big leagues :p

That’s mostly how it is in California too. Make sure you’re registered on time, and that you’ve filled out the necessary paperwork. Texas is a red state, which means the voting laws are generally much more strict. I recommended Ballotpedia, isidewith, and votersedge to inform your vote. There will most likely be even more elections in November by the way. Good luck!

I registered on my way out of the citizenship ceremony. There was a voter registration booth. I actually got a voter card that was valid from the last week of November 2019 to the end of 2019 (since Texas registration cards are always valid for a two year cycle), which is kind of amusing since there was literally no election of any kind anywhere in the state during that time. I got my voter registration card for 2020-2021 in the mail without having to do anything. Texas has an open primary (but you can only vote in one party's primary for any given cycle). The only complication there is that for all offices other than the presidency there is the potential for a primary runoff in May, which will almost certainly include the US Senate race on the Democratic side.

Edited by NearPup