website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

The gunman has officially passed away. 2 other students died a 14 year old and a 16 year old. Most of the community seems to have pretty much moved on already. In fairness, I think people are saving their emotions for the Sunday night vigil.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

36 minutes ago, intoronto said:

If anyone is interested, :SRI live election results

Yeah, heard a war criminal might win thanks to the Easter bombings.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

Today it´s exactly 30 years of the Velvet revolution. 30 years of the fall of communism

Reveal hidden contents

That must be one of the more 'weird' celebrations of it in 30 years I assume? You know, with a huge national tragedy only a few days before..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

That must be one of the more 'weird' celebrations of it in 30 years I assume? You know, with a huge national tragedy only a few days before..

yes. But anyway, a day when also my parents showed tremendous courage and with millions of other similarly courageous peoples in both parts of the country helped to bring for me and the whole czech and slovak nations the freedom . It´s a gift one must respect, commemorate and celebrate despite any circumstances.

people who did not live under such a harsh communist regime cannot even imagine what was going on here. For us it is a very important day to commemorate.

The situation in Hong Kong has been deteriorating fast over the last few days. HK Police have surround one of the main universities where student protestors have barricaded themselves in during a standoff. The students are holding like a fort, and the police have supposedly begun to make threats of lethal force to take the university. 

I’m beginning to think Hong Kong may rapidly become a humanitarian crisis if both sides fail to seek more peaceful methods of problem solving. The worst I fear is a massive crackdown by the People’s Republic of China.

At this point we’ve tried everything we can in this state. It’s time to mount a challenge on the second amendment. It just sucks to see this at the end of such an enjoyable day. I just reminds me of how incredibly lucky I am to have never witnessed shooting. It’s just so sad. Well, time to blame everything but the proliferation of guns. See y’all tomorrow morning, when I wake up to mourn :(