website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

I’m not sure about the validity of a referendum where the leading google search the day after is “What is the EU?” and “What does Brexit mean?”. The referendum was vote on a idea (a very dumb one at that). They didn’t vote on a plan. Cameron is the one to be blamed. May did her best, and I commend her for that. Johnson is Britain’s Trump, so enough said there. 

The problem is Britain is that there’s no good party to challenge the Tories. The LIB/DEM are gaining, but I still don’t think they’re strong enough to beat them. I do agree that Corbyn needs to go badly.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'd say that's how it finishes when you take the ruling out of a monarch and give it all to parlament/government. Another example - Spain (although I doubt that King Felipe would do something in case of Catalonia as he can't even make his own wife respect his parents).

36 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m not sure about the validity of a referendum where the leading google search the day after is “What is the EU?” and “What does Brexit mean?”. The referendum was vote on a idea (a very dumb one at that). They didn’t vote on a plan. Cameron is the one to be blamed. May did her best, and I commend her for that. Johnson is Britain’s Trump, so enough said there. 

The problem is Britain is that there’s no good party to challenge the Tories. The LIB/DEM are gaining, but I still don’t think they’re strong enough to beat them. I do agree that Corbyn needs to go badly.

UK has the same problem like USA. Two-party system makes the entire political landscape stuck in mud. Moreover the first past the post voting system favors the two biggest parties even more. Hail to the democracy! The politicians have learned how to spin the democracy into their favor, it's always us or them, no third party will spoil the result.

When it comes to politics, people often do not know what they're voting for. The Brexit campaign was a bunch of lies, people voted for Brexit and Brexit only, not for "no Brexit without a deal". Another epic flaw of the democracy. The entire post-voting circus was centered around this frickin' deal with EU which somehow nobody talked about before the vote. Brexit puppets wanted the control back, hell, they can't even control their own parliament now.

57 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I'd say that's how it finishes when you take the ruling out of a monarch and give it all to parlament/government. Another example - Spain (although I doubt that King Felipe would do something in case of Catalonia as he can't even make his own wife respect his parents).

You really are a royalist aren’t you? I thought that was joke. You’re my first royalist friend :yes

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So Chile went from 0-60 real quick. Gotta love South American politics. Ecuador’s on fire, Chile’s on fire, Venezuela’s on fire, Peru’s on fire. Those are literal, not figure fires by the way. 

So in Chile we’ve seen a movement begun by kids slightly younger than myself. I have to admit that I really don’t understand the issue, but I’m glad to see kids taking politics and law seriously (though the fires were unnecessary) 

Well no one will be paying those fees now :p (now because the trains have no stations)

How did I not now that Canadian elections were right around the corner? :wacko:

After reading background, the Green Party or NDP would get my votes (I like the NDP’s leader), and the worst case scenario would be PPC getting any votes.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

So Chile went from 0-60 real quick. Gotta love South American politics. Ecuador’s on fire, Chile’s on fire, Venezuela’s on fire, Peru’s on fire. Those are literal, not figure fires by the way. 

So in Chile we’ve seen a movement begun by kids slightly younger than myself. I have to admit that I really don’t understand the issue, but I’m glad to see kids taking politics and law seriously (though the fires were unnecessary) 

One can argue South America saw less unrest during all the military regimes of the 60s & 70s. Guess people are fed up with the democracy over there already :lol:

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

How did I not now that Canadian elections were right around the corner? :wacko:

After reading background, the Green Party or NDP would get my votes (I like the NDP’s leader), and the worst case scenario would be PPC getting any votes.

Jagmeet Singh is a Khalistani. Wearing a rainbow turban doesn’t absolve him of his terrorist links. 

6 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Jagmeet Singh is a Khalistani. Wearing a rainbow turban doesn’t absolve him of his terrorist links. 

What’s a Khalistani? I’ve never heard of that.