website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which they should.

Yes, that’s what we decided. And then we had a referendum in n wether or not to force police to enforce it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Griff88 said:

That's basically asking more than half of the population to go to jail...

But yeah my country folks are really fond of these stuff. We have the popular saying "rejected love means it's time for the shaman".

There are cases our migrant workers in Saudi are sentenced to death with charge of sorcery ranging from wearing certain things (accused amulet) to adding their own urine to their employer's tea to make him complain less :lol:

Indonesia has to be to one of the weirdest fucking places on the planet :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Indonesia has to be to one of the weirdest fucking places on the planet :d

As long as you don't use black magic in your weird fucking..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Dammit! Trudeau is racist :(. There goes the one world leader I liked :(. Time to find my new favorite progressive. 

This is a massive over-reaction. The policies his government has put forth over the last four years have shown he is anything but racist. What he did was racist and stupid, but he owned up to it and apologized - certainly more than you can say about other world leaders. I am getting sick of this persecution of people for past mistakes to score political points, but it is the new norm, and will only become even more normalized as we live in a new age where political candidates (or any public figure for that matter) have their entire past on social media to be scrutinized.

The problem here lies in hypocrisy. This is an example of why the virtue-signaling, holier than thou posturing of liberal politicians like Trudeau today is so frustrating and dangerous, and only leads to further polarization and the election of populist figures. For all of the terrible things that done Donald Trump has done, at least he is unabashedly a piece of shit, and doesn't pretend to be perfect. 

In summation, this incident shouldn't taint your entire perception of Trudeau, and certainly does not make him a racist. Is he a stupid and unqualified moron, yeah, of course, but he's not a racist.

Another thing to consider is that Canada is a parliamentary democracy - the real issue will be reconciling voting for Liberal candidates who are brown, while these photographs of their leader lie in the background. At the end of the day, I don't know if it is quite as damaging as it would be for a Presidential candidate who is directly voted for.  

Just now, ofan said:

This is a massive over-reaction. The policies his government has put forth over the last four years have shown he is anything but racist. What he did was racist and stupid, but he owned up to it and apologized - certainly more than you can say about other world leaders. I am getting sick of this persecution of people for past mistakes to score political points, but it is the new norm, and will only become even more normalized as we live in a new age where political candidates (or any public figure for that matter) have their entire past on social media to be scrutinized.

The problem here lies in hypocrisy. This is an example of why the virtue-signaling, holier than thou posturing of liberal politicians like Trudeau today is so frustrating and dangerous, and only leads to further polarization and the election of populist figures. For all of the terrible things that done Donald Trump has done, at least he is unabashedly a piece of shit, and doesn't pretend to be perfect. 

In summation, this incident shouldn't taint your entire perception of Trudeau, and certainly does not make him a racist. Is he a stupid and unqualified moron, yeah, of course, but he's not a racist.

Another thing to consider is that Canada is a parliamentary democracy - the real issue will be reconciling voting for Liberal candidates who are brown, while these photographs of their leader lie in the background. At the end of the day, I don't know if it is quite as damaging as it would be for a Presidential candidate who is directly voted for.  

We completely agree by the way. I explained my points later in the thread. That comment was just to start the discussion. :yes

5 hours ago, thepharoah said:

:old:

I swear I remember somethin about football and ghosts and them being allowed :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!