website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Trump’s presidency in a nutshell right there.

I agree with what you said, but the problem is that white voters tend to only see white male candidates as qualified. I’m sorry but Biden and Buttigieg do not have the cleanest records. Neither does Kamala or Warren, but it in terms of the what this country needs they’re better choices. We’ve tried white males for 300 years and this country has gotten marginally better. All I’m saying is that it’d be nice if our legacy wasn’t so white.

I don’t have anything against a white male, I just think it’s time to try something different. All the candidates left in this race our qualified, so why not go for a candidate that’s a true reflection of our country.

"It's like they've forgotten me already" 

Spoiler

tenor.gif

:p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well he “won” that election. It’s because of the fucking electoral college that the right candidates have lost elections. We’ve given to much power to Iowa, Ohio, Florida, and New Hampshire. The minute we get rid of the electoral college will be the end of classic American conservatism. It’s a day I wait for eagerly. If the DNC loses this election it’s on them. I really don’t understand voting for Trump unless you’re a racist, sexist, or otherwise deplorable person. 

If in a tennis match, player A wins 3 sets 7-6 while player B wins 2 sets 6-0, who according to you is the real winner? Player A or player B? 

Olympian 1010

Well Trump  is President because he won the Electoral College  . If he needed to win the popular vote he would have tried a different strategy for eg he would not have totally ignored California or other States where he had no hope of winning a majority 

This seems very obvious to anyone familiar with a Parliamentary system of government with individual seats . You put all your ( not unlimited ) resources in winnable seats only 

Your other point about white men :

Most countries are not run by white men . Actually very few are .

Which countries not run by white men are great places to live -better than the white men run countries ?

Why are so many non white men  from countries not run by white men so eager to move to countries run by white men ?

330px-Foto_Presiden_Habibie_1998.jpg

BJ Habibie, our 3rd president, died this evening. Despite only holding the office for a year, he did a lot of things to stabilize the country such as freedom for press, started decentralization, starting first steps of anti-discrimination laws, and holding referendum for East Timor (which resulted in his downfall).

May he rest in peace

4 hours ago, rajiv said:

Most countries are not run by white men . Actually very few are .

Which countries not run by white men are great places to live -better than the white men run countries ?

Why are so many non white men  from countries not run by white men so eager to move to countries run by white men ?

What do you mean, that white men are better suited to rule and those countries not run by white men would be better places to live if they were run by white men? :mumble:

6 hours ago, Dolby said:

If in a tennis match, player A wins 3 sets 7-6 while player B wins 2 sets 6-0, who according to you is the real winner? Player A or player B? 

To be perfectly honest. I don’t watch enough Tennis to get this analogy, sorry. It’s not Urban or youthful enough for me to understand.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

To be perfectly honest. I don’t watch enough Tennis to get this analogy, sorry. It’s not Urban or youthful enough for me to understand.

Team A wins Games 1,2,3 and 7 of NBA finals by 1 point each. Team B wins Games 4,5 and 6 by 100 points each. Who is the NBA champion?

Spoiler

I have a lot of patience and can create similar analogies for a number of sports. Hopefully, atleast one would be urban and youthful enough for you, Mr. Bach

48 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Team A wins Games 1,2,3 and 7 of NBA finals by 1 point each. Team B wins Games 4,5 and 6 by 100 points each. Who is the NBA champion?

Reveal hidden contents

Yes this one was urban enough :p. I’d say there’s something wrong with the league (system) if a team could win by 100 on 3 occasions, but loose by a singular point on 4 occasions. I would investigate the cause to make sure the better team wins in the future. I would also accept the result of that Championships (unless I’d enough support not to)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

For a country as vast and different like the USA the Electoral College is the most suited and fairer system there could be. And for me frankly, it's a genious system, thought long before it should have been. But of course it's good when you win it and bad when you lose it. Excuses, excuses..

Just now, Federer91 said:

For a country as vast and different like the USA the Electoral College is the most suited and fairer system there could be. And for me frankly, it's a genious system, thought long before it should have been. But of course it's good when you win it and bad when you lose it. Excuses, excuses..

I think that the "winner takes all" system is very weird, especially when applied to a non homogeneous country like USA