website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Alright, so this week alone Trump has:

• Directed his aides to begin talks with Denmark to buy Greenland (I’m sure there’s no way this happens (we already tried once a while ago))
  • Refused to condemn the the People’s Republic of China after they’ve continued to build up their  military at the Hong Kong border 
  • Thanked Israel for blocking an democratic senator of Palestinian decent from visiting the West Bank to see her grandmother, and take up the country’s offer of seeing West Bank issues first hand
  • Thank Kim Jong Un for sending him a “nice letter”, and then continuing to let him test missiles

Now, when I think “What countries do I want to be associated as allies and friendly with?”; the People’s Republic of China, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, and Israel are NOT at the top of the list. In fact, those are very close to being the bottom three on that list. Also, personally, I don’t want to be known as the country that recolonizes Greenland, helps increase their ice melt, and takes all their natural resources for our own use.  

Ugh! I just want it be January 1, 2021 already. That will be the day we get new hope, or I move to the EU and never comeback.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Trump administration says transgender workers aren't protected by civil rights, Supreme Court filing reveals

The Trump administration on Friday took one of its most aggressive steps yet to legalize anti-transgender discrimination by telling the Supreme Court that federal law allows firing workers solely for being transgender, arguing a Michigan funeral home could fire a transgender woman because she wanted to wear women’s clothing on the job.

Riots in (West) Papua after an allegation of Papuan students breaking a flagpole and threw the Indonesian flag to a sewage ditch in Surabaya, East Java...

image.png

The alleged flag in the sewage photo spread quickly in WhatsApp and FB. Later the Papuan Students Dorm in Surabaya (yes, it exists because no one really want to rent rooms for Papuan students) was surrounded by angry mobs plus members from ultra nationalist group. Also starring the I-don't-know-why-they-are-there Islamic Defenders Front supporters. Funny when a group that wants to change the nation's ideology so bad also take part in "defending the national symbol", perhaps crowds and riots attract them lol.

Police forced their way to the dorm and arrested (but later released) the students. Unfortunately a viral video in WhatsApp about the incident enraged Papuans, where some people yelled "Monkeys!" and "Dogs!" to the arrested students. Even worse, hoaxes about a Papuan student got killed started overflowing in WhatsApp.

image.png

And those in Papua started demonstration demanding police actions. Fortunately non-Papuans are not attacked, instead the local council building was burned. Papuan students in other province also voiced their concern with mass rallies.

3 viral WhatsApp posts = riot in 2 province :facepalm:

Yesterday was the anniversary or 28 Mordad coup d'état , as someone who read a lot about the Iranian history (which is very long and complicated) I can say that day was probably the most important day in modern history of the country.

63 years ago USA (and UK) overthrew the democratically elected prime minister since they wanted their puppet dictator to stay with maximum power. at the time the new Shah was weak (and already left Iran) and the prime minister Mosaddegh was trying to use the situation to weaken the Shah's position and give more power to the parliament. but of course western powers didn't like that mostly because of Iran's oil. they arranged the coup, captured Mosaddegh (later died in exile) gave maximum power to Mohammad Reza Shah (who came back after the coup) and he later created a much more brutal dictatorship, few years later people after losing hopes on politicians turned into someone else Rouhollah Khomeini who took the opportunity (still a big question mark for me how the hell people thought something good will come from this guy, he never really tried to show himself as a good person) made a revolution and overthrow the whole system and created a new one which is indeed a mess. probably even worse than the previous dictatorship.

I always think that day was the turning point of Iran, the country was moving into less dictatorship but since then everything has changed. and USA (and lesser degree UK) is responsible for that. @Olympian1010 I wonder if people in USA are aware of such things. or they always were told Iran is the bad guy and we are the good one.

@MHSN The average American is pretty much taught to hate Iran. They are to be seen in on the same level as Russia and North Korea, especially amongst conservatives. However having done my own research, I know what you say is true. The US, UK, France, Germany, and Russia are probably responsible in some way for almost every global conflict since 1900. The US made a lot of foreign policy mistakes in the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s.

I believe I’ve already stated before that I completely apologize for what we did to Iran, Iraq (unsure about that one though), Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc. 

The interesting thing is how completely different the political parties are in this country, even on foreign policy. The GOP is more United in there polices, but the difference between them and the majority of Democrats is interesting.

Most republicans are in favor of a one state solution to Israel. Many democrats favor the Palestinians (including myself).

GOP is strictly against Iran. The Democrats are willing to hold out an olive branch.

GOP is willing to enter talks with North Korea. The Democrats are extremely against it.

The Democrats are willing to hold out an olive branch to Cuba. The GOP thinks Cuba=Russia.

Those are just the basic best ones. Their are a lot of other interesting democrat/republican splits.

Republicans are almost all religious in some way.

the Democrats are increasingly not religious.

Both groups however have wings against child vaccination and climate change.

The GOP feels pride when they hear the national anthem. Most Democrats hate the national anthem and symbols.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Speaking of republicans being pro-Israel:

The left already made Palestine a trending topic on Twitter a few days ago. The president was probably somewhat inspired to make this statement after seeing that.

Also, fun fact: many people of Jewish faith and ethnicity vote on the left. The split is something like 70% DEM - 30% GOP, but that may have changed for all I know.

Edited by Olympian1010

Denmark escapes :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!