website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Italy always had some of the most unstable governments I can remember :rolleyes: If a PM lasted over two years in office he'd be a marathon runner. It wasn't all that crazy for the anti-immigrant die-hards to finally hear their named called in one of these elections.

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Italy always had some of the most unstable governments I can remember :rolleyes: If a PM lasted over two years in office he'd be a marathon runner. It wasn't all that crazy for the anti-immigrant die-hards to finally hear their named called in one of these elections.

After the last hour declaration the italian government is over. It's funny that in our republican history we never had a one-party government or a government that reach to end his legislatures :p

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

After the last hour declaration the italian government is over.

Wait what? I feel like governments falling is way too common to be special anymore, but still :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

What actually counts is the Parliament, as Italy is a parliamentary republic. In practice we don’t see in general huge changes in political directions from a government to another (unless new elections are called) but the different souls inside the parties change their political weights and this reflects on the government

with the actual, nearly ex-government we have reached the lowest point in terms of several things, like international prestige, respect of institutions, political sobriety and respect of the political opponent. With the next, I prefer not say: I said I would have never preferred berlusconi to others, but I had to retreat; I fear like the same will happen with the next government in comparison to the current... 

1 hour ago, Gianlu33 said:

After the last hour declaration the italian government is over. It's funny that in our republican history we never had a one-party government or a government that reach to end his legislatures :p

Technically speaking we had a monochrome government in 1960 and the same PM from 2001 to 2006 although leading two slight different governments 

South Korea has agreed to pay substantially more money to the United States in order to defend itself from North Korea. Over the past many decades, the U.S. has been paid very little by South Korea, but last year, at the request of President Trump, South Korea paid $990,000,000..

7 hours ago, George_D said:

I would like to ask the Italian friends. What is the actual ideology of 5 Star Movement party? There is the perception that it is crypto - anti-immigration and quite euroscepticist

They say about themselves that they cannot be “tagged” into an ideology because they “follow the will of the people”. Originally, however, they were mostly based on left-wing and green ideas, as witnessed by the fact that they gave resonance to anti TAV/TAP movements (tav is the Lyon-Turin high speed train, tap is the trans-Adriatic pipeline which will convoy Azerbaijan methane in Europe avoiding Ukraine, with all the geopolitical consequences of that). Further, in their absolutely funny way of direct democracy, among the top 10 supported candidates as Republic President (Italy’s head of state), there was Romano Prodi, who is the historical leader of the Italian center/left-wing political alliances. 

In addition to what @phelps correctly said about them, it must be added that they (should) found on transparency and the will of morphing Italian politics in a direct democracy rather than a representative democracy. Their guru was famous for his very strange predictions about the use of internet and so on and from these predictions their political instancies come.

in practice, they have supported one of the most right-wing government in Italian history and, as far as concerns their flagship reformations, they acted with rush, as it seems to have become the rule in all Italian political class, sadly

Just now, amen09 said:

South Korea has agreed to pay substantially more money to the United States in order to defend itself from North Korea. Over the past many decades, the U.S. has been paid very little by South Korea, but last year, at the request of President Trump, South Korea paid $990,000,000..

I hope he had the change for the 1,000,000,000 dollars check he got, otherwise that is going to be the most expensive tip for cigarettes in history :p