website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

he current English monarchy are Germans too (House of Windsor my ass, the Anglo-Saxons don't rule England since 1066).

When does one start being (in this case) British though? After over a century, should they still be called Germans? Go back far enough and one can say every single country in the world right now is ruled by a South African (or Ethiopian?).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

When does one start being (in this case) British though? After over a century, should they still be called Germans? Go back far enough and one can say every single country in the world right now is ruled by a South African (or Ethiopian?).

They are ethnic Germans and nothing changes that no matter how you look at it. The Kingdom of Great Britain was formed in 1707, I believe that starts the 'British" period of history.

This is not really political, more historical, but I genuinely find it interesting when someone becomes 'ethnic' German (in this case). I mean, take your average German now and take their father, their father's father, their great-grandfather's great-grandfather and so on...at some point there's gonna be someone who never even came within 1000km of present-day Germany :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

In all fairness the Ottoman Empire and classic Islam were much more tolerant of Christians than Christians were of them. 

Tell that to 1.5 millions of Armenians killed by Ottoman authorities in Armenian Genocide. Or to 500,000 Greeks killed in same time on same place. And not to mention what their rule did to Christian's nations across the Balkans

Edited by NikolaB

1 minute ago, NikolaB said:

Tell that to 1.5 billions of Armenians killed by Ottoman authorities in Armenian Genocide.

Now I know the whole Armenian Genocide thing is a bit of a 'thing' and rightfully so, but 1,5 billion is around 1000 times too high :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Now I know the whole Armenian Genocide thing is a bit of a 'thing' and rightfully so, but 1,5 billion is around 1000 times too high :p 

Bit of a thing? Oh yes, life has never meant less than in liberal Western Europe of the 21st century who preaches islamophobia instead :wall:

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Bit of a thing? Oh yes, life has never meant less than in liberal Western Europe of the 21st century who preaches islamophobia instead :wall:

Huh what? I didn't mean to say "it's a small deal", 'a bit of a thing' was meant as an understatement since it's obviously one of the largest tragedies in history.

I've got a tiny feeling you misunderstood my post.

Edited by heywoodu

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You know what I mean, of course it's a millions not billions (it was just an typo). Point is that they almost completely destroyed entire nation and Armenians survived only in Russian Armenia (today modern day Armenia)

3 minutes ago, NikolaB said:

You know what I mean, of course it's a millions not billions (it was just an typo). Point is that they almost completely destroyed entire nation and Armenians survived only in Russian Armenia (today modern day Armenia)

Well yeah, and when there's even people protesting against recognizing the genocide, you know something is wrong (and you know your propaganda is working, hello Turkey). 

This by the way:

The Turkish government does not deny that many Armenians were killed by the Ottoman military, but disputes the death toll, and emphasizes that there were deaths on both sides during World War I.

For fuck's sake, yeah. "You know what? Holocaust wasn't so bad, because there were also Germans killed by Jews and resistance fighers!" :facepalm: