website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, Master said:

Really scary to see that Serbian nationalistic propaganda is still effective.

The Serbia thing is the single most explosive topic on Totallympics, by a wide margin, I'd choose words more carefully :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The Serbia thing is the single most explosive topic on Totallympics, by a wide margin, I'd choose words more carefully :p 

As I did in my post (but hey, that’s what you should expect from a potential communications major)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Master said:

Just saying that describing it as an aggression with the subtle threat that they will never forget is a niece piece of one-sided propaganda.

If my country was bombed to pieces (hey Germany :p) I'd feel like 'never forget' as well. Wars should not be forgotten, especially since quite often both sides commit quite some atrocities. Didn't Serbia themselves arrest and deliver war criminals like Karadzic and Mladic who are, luckily for the world, safely behind bars for the rest of their lives?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Master said:

Just saying that describing it as an aggression with the subtle threat that they will never forget is a niece piece of one-sided propaganda.

Right, but there is something to be said about the ugliness of conflict for all involved. Of course I wasn’t alive when all of this went down (and I believe the right outcomes were reached). You have to remember that history two sides and that it’s better to try to make peace than make more ethic and political divides.

Im just a simple 18 year old though, what do I know? :dunno:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@heywoodu

I just look at the results for the provincial elections in Netherlands and saw this new party FvD, Forum for Democracy, became the biggest party overall.

Is this Forum for Democracy the new PVV? Another question, why are they so big in Noord-and Zuid-Hollland?

I can also see that FvD is the biggest party in an opinion poll from yesterday.

https://www.noties.nl/v/get.php?a=peil.nl&s=weekpoll&f=2019-03-24.pdf

1 minute ago, wumo26 said:

@heywoodu

I just look at the results for the provincial elections in Netherlands and saw this new party FvD, Forum for Democracy, became the biggest party overall.

Is this Forum for Democracy the new PVV? Another question, why are they so big in Noord-and Zuid-Hollland?

They are sort of like a more intelligent version of the PVV, focused a bit more wide instead of almost only (at least publicly) on the immigration problems like the PVV. They'll have some problems though, they won more seats than they have people to fill them :p

Why especially those two provinces, no idea. Probably because they're good in cities, but cities are generally more left (especially Amsterdam is as left as PVV is right), so that's odd. They were even the 3rd biggest in my town, only slightly behind the ever dominating SGP (super strict Christians who often don't for politics but just for religion) and ChristenUnie (more relaxed Christians).

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

They are sort of like a more intelligent version of the PVV, focused a bit more wide instead of almost only (at least publicly) on the immigration problems like the PVV. They'll have some problems though, they won more seats than they have people to fill them :p

Why especially those two provinces, no idea. Probably because they're good in cities, but cities are generally more left (especially Amsterdam is as left as PVV is right), so that's odd. They were even the 3rd biggest in my town, only slightly behind the ever dominating SGP (super strict Christians who often don't for politics but just for religion) and ChristenUnie (more relaxed Christians).

FvD's rise is probably just another example that many Dutch voters are tired of the current political establisment in the Netherlands and want something new.  Just like many other European countries. 

17 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

FvD's rise is probably just another example that many Dutch voters are tired of the current political establisment in the Netherlands and want something new.  Just like many other European countries. 

Even if, in my opinion, it’s a rise in the wrong direction. What’s interesting is the similarities between are current time period and WW2