website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

Deaths of Olympians in February.

:POL Ryszard Olszewski, 87 - Basketball

:CZE Jana Vapenkova, 72 - Volleyball

:URS Alexander Skvortsov, 65 - Ice Hockey (1×G, 1×S)

:YUG Eugene Plesko, 71 - Cycling

:ITA Giancarlo Bergamini, 93 - Fencing (1×G, 2×S)

:ETH Abadi Hadis, 22 - Athletics

:CAN Brian Glennie, 73 - Ice Hockey (1×B)

:FRA Maurice Girardot, 98 - Basketball (1×S)

:CAN Bill Robinson, 71 - Basketball

:HUN Tamas Wichmann, 72 - Sprint Canoeing (2×S, 1×B)

:CZE Karel Neffe, 71 - Rowing (1×B)

:ITA Renzo Chiocchetti, 74 - Cross Country Skiing

:GBR John Cockett, 92 - Hockey (1×B)

:ESP Jaime Amat, 78 - Hockey

:CAN John Robertson, 90 - Sailing

:HUN Istvan Gali, 76 - Boxing

:PAK Usman Ullah Khan, 45 - Boxing

:HUN Janos Gorocs, 80 - Football (1×B)

:POL Jan Kowalczyk, 78 - Equestrian (1×G, 1×S)

:ARG Braian Toledo, 26 - Athletics

:CAN Craig Mackay, 92 - Speed Skating

:POR Teresa Machado, 50 - Athletics

:HUN Eva Szekely, 92 - Swimming (1×G, 1×S)

And three late reported deaths from January.

:USA Herbert Voelcker, 90 - Shooting

:HUN Sandra Kalo, 75 - Handball

:RUS Irina Laricheva, 55 - Shooting

A bad month for Hungary with five deaths including Tamas Wichmann who won three medals in sprint canoeing between 1968-80. He also won nine world titles. Eva Szekely was Olympic champion in the 200m breaststroke in 1952 and followed up with silver in 1956. From a sporting family, her husband Desso Gyarmati won medals at five consecutive games in water polo including three golds. Her daughter Andrea was also a swimmer and won two medals in Munich in 1972.

Alexander Skvortsov was a member of the Soviet ice hockey team that famously lost to the Americans at Lake Placid in 1980. However, he gained redemption when the Red Machine got back on track to win gold four years later.

Last, but not least, the deaths of two athletes who competed at the last Olympics in Rio. Abadi Hadis was an Ethiopian middle distance runner who, although only 22, had been ill for sometime. Braian Toledo of Argentina was Youth Olympic champion in the javelin in 2010 and went on to compete in London and Rio where he finished tenth. Sadly he died in a traffic accident aged just 26.

Edited by Nickyc707

I wonder if Paralympic athletes count. today we heard a tragic news in middle of all these disasters

Siamand Rahman, two time Paralympics Champion in Powerlifting, (2012 and 2016) current World record holder died today from heart attack at the age of 31 :(

he was the most famous Paralympics athlete in Iran and maybe one of the best in the world . RIP :cry::cry:

I'm not much of a follower of Paralympic powerlifting, meaning you must be a big one if I've actually heard of your name, like is the case with Rahman...RIP

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm not much of a follower of Paralympic powerlifting, meaning you must be a big one if I've actually heard of your name, like is the case with Rahman...RIP

A clip of him lifting in Rio went viral if a remember. The dude was a tank, and was someone you always anticipated seeing something amazing from. I follow Paralympics sports enough to be aware of him, so it’s really sad day for the Paralympic community.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Canadian rider Katharine Morel and her horse died Saturday after an accident at a competition in Florida, Equestrian Canada said. https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canadian-equestrian-rider-and-horse-dies-following-accident-at-competition-1.4834132?fbclid=IwAR02EgNj5xzE-TcHbKitfLx2nEkRKEFqT6kWIr7Fhykd5a_nNEl1QDJPqEI

BARUCH DAYAN EMET Éva székely 1952 Olympic gold medalists swimmer  has passed away today at the respectable age of 92 she won Gold in 1952 and silver in 1956 at the 200m breaststroke she represented :HUN 

3 hours ago, Dnl said:

BARUCH DAYAN EMET Éva székely 1952 Olympic gold medalists swimmer  has passed away today at the respectable age of 92 she won Gold in 1952 and silver in 1956 at the 200m breaststroke she represented :HUN 

I think that was a few days ago.

PS. What does "Baruch Dayan Emet" means?

5 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I think that was a few days ago.

PS. What does "Baruch Dayan Emet" means?

Jewish blessing for death or something, according to Google :p

We really do learn something new every day!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!