website statistics

Wrestling 2018 Discussion Thread

Federer91

A guy named Akhsarbek Gulaev just won silver for Slovakia at the European U23 Championships in the -74kg class losing the final against Russian Zaurbek Sidakov. He apparently won all his previous games of the tournament by superiority... Interesting, our wrestling federation attended some Black Friday shopping in Russia :lol:

since our team for the U23 Europeans was already composed of 5 naturalized guys...If we count that the almost entire senior team of last tournaments composed only of Russian born athletes, the future of SVK wrestling is a bit worrying :mumble:

I don´t see how a Slovak youngs can be even motivated to start doing this sport, when they´ll rarely reach the national team

Spoiler

U23 Team for Europeans

FS:

-57 kg: Martin Gatiaľ
-61 kg: Ivan Molnár
-65 kg: Elbrus Chertkoev
-70 kg: Taimuraz Salkazanov
-74 kg: Akhsarbek Gulaev
-125 kg: Georgi Nogaev

FS - Women´s:

-62 kg: Mária Juhászová

GR:

-75 kg: Leoš Drmola

-77 kg: Denis Horváth
-82 kg: Norbert Sipka
-130 kg: Georgi Nogaev

• 4 weeks later...

Iran won the team title in World Freestyle Cadet Championship in Croatia. finally a bit success for our freestyle program ! even though winning 3 out of 10 gold medals is not something to celebrate too much but some of these kids did great and that was the first team title for Iran after 22 years !

USA and Russia finished 2nd and 3rd in team ranking . I wonder if Iran already seleceted the wrestlers for the Youth Olympics (cuz Iran qualified 3 wrestlers and have to pick 2) but if not Zare at super heavyweight deserves one of the spots. other two guts won silver and bronze ,it will be hard to pick any of them.

btw Italy also won a bronze medal in men's freestyle by a home grown wrestler. which was interesting and the Italian kid almost made it to the final. he lost narrowly to the eventual gold medalist from Uzbekistan (if I'm not wrong)

Iran won the team title in World Freestyle Cadet Championship in Croatia. finally a bit success for our freestyle program ! even though winning 3 out of 10 gold medals is not something to celebrate too much but some of these kids did great and that was the first team title for Iran after 22 years !

USA and Russia finished 2nd and 3rd in team ranking . I wonder if Iran already seleceted the wrestlers for the Youth Olympics (cuz Iran qualified 3 wrestlers and have to pick 2) but if not Zare at super heavyweight deserves one of the spots. other two guts won silver and bronze ,it will be hard to pick any of them.

btw Italy also won a bronze medal in men's freestyle by a home grown wrestler. which was interesting and the Italian kid almost made it to the final. he lost narrowly to the eventual gold medalist from Uzbekistan (if I'm not wrong)

7 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

yes, and it was a great result for us...

by the way, I think Piroddu should have won the semifinal bout against the Uzbek Marfunov, first because he wrestled better than his opponent (he got even close to pin him down after 40 secs, but the Uzbek guy somehow managed to escape from Piroddu's move, so our wrestler only got 2 points -and maybe he should have got 4, too, but I'm not that expert in technicalities to be sure of that) and second because the last move with only 1 second to go should have given him 2 points (and the consequential victory after a 5-5 tie), meanwhile the judges only gave him 1 point (so he lost 5-4 in the end)...

however, when I see an Italian born and trained wrestler making the podium I'm always very happy...:d

p.s. however, this medal doesn't make me fully confident for the future, since I've already seen Giovanni Freni winning the world cadet title (in GR), but not being able to translate that result even at junior level (even if he's still sub-20, so maybe at the next Junior Worlds in Rome he could do what he hasn't been able to do in the last 2 years yet)...:mumble:

Edited by phelps

4 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, and it was a great result for us...

by the way, I think Piroddu should have won the semifinal bout against the Uzbek Marfunov, first because he wrestled better than his opponent (he got even close to pin him down after 40 secs, but the Uzbek guy somehow managed to escape from Piroddu's move, so our wrestler only got 2 points -and maybe he should have got 4, too, but I'm not that expert in technicalities to be sure of that) and second because the last move with only 1 second to go should have given him 2 points (and the consequential victory after a 5-5 tie), meanwhile the judges only gave him 1 point (so he lost 5-4 in the end)...

however, when I see an Italian born and trained wrestler making the podium I'm always very happy...:d

p.s. however, this medal doesn't make me fully confident for the future, since I've already seen Giovanni Freni winning the world cadet title (in GR), but not being able to translate that result even at junior level (even if he's still sub-20, so maybe at the next Junior Worlds in Rome he could do what he hasn't been able to do in the last 2 years yet)...:mumble:

I just finished watching the match, I think Piroddu will remember this for a while, he gave up two takedowns both of them on his own attack. he could easily score on both but instead he gave up points ! I think the first action was definitely a 2 and not 4. cuz the action started on the ground. that wasn't a 4pts throw. and the last action was also just one point pushout . that was no way a takedown. they used to penalize these kind of actions as fleeing with 2pts + caution but if I'm not wrong the new rules say 1pts + caution ! (they change the rules day to day so even for me it's hard to be up to date about the rules :d) but I didn't understand what happened after the challenge , they removed the caution and gave the challenge thing back to the Italian coach !! if their challenge was wrong (which it was) they should gave another point to the Uzbek guy.

and yeah success in cadet level doesn't necessarily mean success in Junior/Senior levels. specially in Greco because Greco is less technical. but this kid has the talent, i believe he has a Greco background, he needs more experience in freestyle competition to not lose the single leg twice. this semifinal was his match to lose.

4 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

I just finished watching the match, I think Piroddu will remember this for a while, he gave up two takedowns both of them on his own attack. he could easily score on both but instead he gave up points ! I think the first action was definitely a 2 and not 4. cuz the action started on the ground. that wasn't a 4pts throw. and the last action was also just one point pushout . that was no way a takedown. they used to penalize these kind of actions as fleeing with 2pts + caution but if I'm not wrong the new rules say 1pts + caution ! (they change the rules day to day so even for me it's hard to be up to date about the rules :d) but I didn't understand what happened after the challenge , they removed the caution and gave the challenge thing back to the Italian coach !! if their challenge was wrong (which it was) they should gave another point to the Uzbek guy.

and yeah success in cadet level doesn't necessarily mean success in Junior/Senior levels. specially in Greco because Greco is less technical. but this kid has the talent, i believe he has a Greco background, he needs more experience in freestyle competition to not lose the single leg twice. this semifinal was his match to lose.

OK, thanks for all the explaination...:yes

• 3 weeks later...
55 minuti fa, Gianlu33 ha scritto:

Today we'll have the 1st day of finals at the Yasar Dogu, in Istanbul. The biggest match of the day will be Frank Chamizo against Jordan Burroughs in the -70kg, i can't wait :bounce:

it's the -74kg, however...;)

the good thing is that this time we're gonna have adecent live streaming...

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/yasar-dogu-4