website statistics

Swimming 2018 Discussion Thread

George_D

Alessandro Miressi, just a few days after becoming European Champion over the men's 100m Freestyle, earlier today at the National Age Groups Championships improved his PB (48.00, swam in the European Final) and clocked the new Italian Record over the distance in 47.92...

new National Record also for Ilaria Bianchi ("only" 4th in Glasgow earlier this week) over the women's 100m Fly with 57.22, which would have given her a medal if clocked in Scotland...

as usual, many Italian swimmers improve their best times when it's too late and when it doesn't really count that much...:facepalm::wall:

Edited by phelps

2008 Olympic open water champion Maarten van der Weijden is swimming a bit over 200 kilometer these days to get money for cancer research (the illness he had before his gold medal). He started yesterday morning around 4am and is expected to finish somewhere late tomorrow :p

Live stream:

Spoiler

He's following the 'Eleven Cities Tour' course, which is this wonderful, legendary speed skating race (which sadly hasn't been held in over 20 years already because of a lack of real winters):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

He's following the 'Eleven Cities Tour' course, which is this wonderful, legendary speed skating race (which sadly hasn't been held in over 20 years already because of a lack of real winters):

Eleven Cities Tour :wub: It's epic... since i follow sport i really want see, damn global warming :( 

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

Eleven Cities Tour :wub: It's epic... since i follow sport i really want see, damn global warming :( 

It was so close a few years ago. Oh well, I'm convinced one day it'll happen again, global warming doesn't mean literally every winter will be too warm :p 

Meanwhile Van der Weijden had breakfast today with a cold pizza :p He was planning to sleep 1,5 hour earlier tonight (on one of those floating 'beds'), but kept waking up so he decided to get back to swimming

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...

2018 Open Water Junior World Championships (Eilat, ISR)

Day 1 Results

Women's 5km (14-15 years old Girls)

Gold: :ITA Iris Menchini

Silver: :HUN Mira Szimcsak

Bronze: :USA Mariah Denigan

Men's 5km (14-15 years old Boys)

Gold: :RUS Aleksandr Stepanov

Silver: :RUS Ivan Morgun

Bronze: :HUN David Betlehem

Women's 7.5km (16-17 years old Girls)

Gold: :USA Chase Travis

Silver: :ITA Giulia Berton

Bronze: :ITA Giulia Salin

Men's 7.5km (16-17 years old Boys)

Gold: :FRA Jean-Baptiste Clusman

Silver: :RUS Danil Nemolochnov

Bronze: :HUN Zoltan Tabi

On 8/19/2018 at 15:05, heywoodu said:

2008 Olympic open water champion Maarten van der Weijden is swimming a bit over 200 kilometer these days to get money for cancer research (the illness he had before his gold medal). He started yesterday morning around 4am and is expected to finish somewhere late tomorrow :p

Live stream:

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve been waiting to watch my first Eleven Cities Tour for years now. Stupid Climate Change :redcard:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve been waiting to watch my first Eleven Cities Tour for years now. Stupid Climate Change :redcard:

Unlike some other people, I'm still confident it'll happen again one day :d 

Sure, the chances are lower in individual years, but climate change doesn't mean there will never be a harsh winter anymore.

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Unlike some other people, I'm still confident it'll happen again one day :d 

Sure, the chances are lower in individual years, but climate change doesn't mean there will never be a harsh winter anymore.

It is generally accepted to be the opposite 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

It is generally accepted to be the opposite 

If climate change should make for more harsh winters, climate change is only hitting us in the summer... :p 

2018 Open Water Junior World Championships (Eilat, ISR)

Day 2 Results

Women's 10km (18-19 years old Girls)

Gold: :ESP Paula Ruiz Bravo

Silver: :PER Maria A. Bramont-Arias

Bronze: :HUN Reka Rohacs

Men's 10km (18-19 years old Boys)

Gold: :USA Micheal Brinegar

Silver: :FRA Enzo Roldan Munoz

Bronze: :RUS Kirill Dolgov