website statistics

Swimming 2018 Discussion Thread

George_D

it looks that Santo Condorelli will be cleared to swim for the Italyan National team very soon, probably already in time to enter the Short Course Swimming Worlds mid December in China under his new Flag...

well, always if he can swim the required times in the upcoming meets which will be held in Italy in November...

and on November 8th and 9th, at the Nico Sapio Memorial Meet in Genua, Federica Pellegrini will make her season's debut and for the occasion she'll get back to her beloved 200m Free for the 1st time since that magic race in Budapest in 2017...

Edited by phelps

now it's official...

tomorrow and saturday @ the Nico Sapio meet in Genua, Santo Condorelli will make his debut as an Italian swimmer...

and if he gets the required clockings within the next couple of weeks, he's going to be part of our National Team already at the Short Course Worlds next month in China...

Swimming Marathon World Cup stage #8, Final (November 9th, 2018 @ Abu Dhabi, UAE)

Men's 10km
Gold: :GER Florian Wellbrock
Silver: :ITA Gregorio Paltrinieri
Bronze: :HUN Kristof Rasovszky

Full Ranking

http://www.fina.org/competition-detailed-results/finahosa-marathon-swim-world-series-2018-men-10km/event-5

Women's 10km
Gold: :ITA Arianna Bridi
Silver: :ITA Rachele Bruni
Bronze: :BRA Ana Marcela Cunha

Full Ranking

http://www.fina.org/competition-detailed-results/finahosa-marathon-swim-world-series-2018-women-10km/event-5

Wellbrock and Bridi win last stop in Abu Dhabi

Florian Wellbrock (GER) and Arianna Bridi (ITA) were the winners of the eighth and final leg of the FINA/HOSA 10km Marathon Swim World Series, held in Abu Dhabi (UAE) on November 9, 2018. In a very close finish among men, Wellbrock touched in 1h53m00s9, while Bridi managed to get some advantage over the pack in the final metres to earn the gold in 2h00m21s8

It was the second win of the year for both swimmers, with the German athlete previously prevailing in Lake Balaton (Hungary) and the Italian ace dominating operations in Seychelles. The minor medals in Abu Dhabi went to Gregorio Paltrinieri (ITA), silver in the men’s race in 1h53m01s4, and to Kristof Rasovszky, from Hungary, third in 1h53m01s7. In the women’s category, Italy was once more in evidence, with the second place of Rachele Bruni (2h00m25s7), while Ana Marcela Cunha, from Brazil, touched third in 2h00m26s2. 

“The race started really slow and it remained like that until the 5km mark. Then, things got a bit faster, but this initial pace allowed me to save some energy for the final. I could then manage to get into the last metres of the race with additional strength”, confessed Wellbrock after his effort. Also a pool swimmer, he sincerely hopes that he can compete both in the 1500m free and 10km marathon swimming race at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. “I’ll try to qualify for both. Here, it was an easy race – the water was quite flat, so I could imagine swimming in a pool”, he added, smiling. “I’m happy, because being only my second race of the season, I won both!” Wellbrock concluded.

dsc_9115.jpg?itok=qpiaE9ce

On the women’s side, Bridi, winner of the Series in 2017, was also thrilled with the outcome of the race: “My tactics was to stay as much as possible in the pack, and then push faster in the last km. It worked quite well and I even managed to arrive ‘comfortable’ to the finish. Open water races are today very tight, so I was happy to get some advantage in the final metres”. On her 2018 season, the Italian admitted: “I am not disappointed as I didn’t compete enough to accumulate points. I only did five races, but I won two – it’s good”, she said.

dsc_8973.jpg?itok=oVn4vhON

With these results, Cunha confirmed her overall lead of the World Series ranking, finishing the season with 112 points. The Brazilian star had been the best already in 2010, 2012 and 2014. With her silver medal in UAE, Bruni also gets the second position of the 2018 ranking, with 84 points. In third, the 2016 Olympic champion Sharon van Rouwendaal (NED), who finished only sixth in Abu Dhabi.

“I have done a very regular season, so this is a happy conclusion of it. I couldn’t be on the podium in all races, but this is of course a very positive outcome. This is a year without World Championships, so this is the main competition for us. Now, it’s time to take a short break and to prepare for 2019, where we will have the FINA World Championships in Korea. We will be in all individual events, plus the team, so we hope we can do well, and, who knows, get a fourth title in the 25km”, admitted Cunha. The Brazilian ace has accumulated nine medals at FINA World Championships, including three victories in 25km (2011, 2015 and 2017). “Then, the Olympic Games, however I like to think about the upcoming goals once at the time. But I am quite optimistic”. In the World Series, Cunha has won the races in Hungary and Lac St-Jean (CAN), and had an additional silver from Seychelles.

dsc_9132.jpg?itok=D17Es_Am

Among men, the overall winner was Dutch Ferry Weertman, who finished seventh in Abu Dhabi. Despite that, he had enough points to maintain his advantage, as his main challenger, Jack Burnell (GBR), was also not so much successful in UAE (12th). Weertman, 2016 Olympic champion in Rio, was the best in the initial race in Doha (QAT) and second in Lake Balaton.

“It’s the first time for me that I managed to compete the series and win. I had Olympic, World, and European titles – only the World Series was missing. Now, it’s done. Moreover, finishing the year with a race like this in Abu Dhabi is fantastic. The highlight in 2018 was my victory in Doha – it was my first series’ victory!” considered Weertman. “I very much liked the overall experience – travelling to so many places, meeting the same people all the time. We are really an open water family! Now, it’s train, train and train to make the cut for the Olympics in 2020!”

A total of 74 men and 46 women completed the 10km race in Abu Dhabi.

Swimming Marathon World Cup, Final Overall Standings

Men

1st, :NED Ferry Weertman

2nd, :GBR Jack Burnell

3rd, :ITA Simone Ruffini

Women

1st, :BRA Ana Marcela Cunha

2nd, :ITA Rachele Bruni

3rd, :NED Sharon Van Rouwendaal

Full Final Standings (when they update the page with today's results) here:

http://www.fina.org/content/ranking-finahosa-marathon-swim-world-series-2018

pretty average debut as an Italian swimmer for Santo Condorelli at the Sapio meet in Genua (short course)...

yesterday he was 3rd in the 50m freestyle in 21.68, today he was only 4th over the 100m free in an awful 48.23...

I hope he can do better in the next couple of weeks...

p.s. I'm really disapponited with the fact that he doesn't speak Italian at all yet...

always today in Genua, Federica Pellegrini's comeback over "her" 200m free as expected ended in a collective madness, but not in a really serious effort...she "only" swam 1.54.30...

• 1 month later...

'Missy' Franklin has retired.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!