website statistics

Karate 2018 Discussion Thread

thepharoah

1 ora fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Finals are tomorrow?

yes...

Bronze Medal matches start @ 2 a.m. CET, Gold Medal matches start @ 8 a.m. CET

unfortunately, there's no official/legal world streaming nor TV coverage...the only chance could be Chinese TV/online portals, which are basically impossible to follow from Europe (at least, from Italy)...

Gold , silver and bronze for Egypt another average result for Egyptian Karate especially because our 2 individual medalists at last WCH didn't win medals here , but we won a new talent Ali Ismael who won gold in men's -67 kg after defeating world vice champion in the final , Mohamed Ramadan won his 2nd medal in a row in World series tournaments in men's -84 kg as he proved that he's way better than Mohamed el Kotaby who took part in last WCH and he can be our man in this weight as long we would lose a great talent like Ahmed el Masry who will join the military college so looks like he doesn't care more about Karate , Ali Ismael could replace also Ali el Sawy whom i'm not convinced at all with his ability to win something big in Tokyo , but i know things don't happen in the same eay it should in Egyptian Sport as long as u have relations with people in charge 

Karate 1 Serie A (Shanghai, CHN)

Medallists Recap

women's Kata
Gold: :ESP Sandra Sanchez Jaime
Silver: :ITA Viviana Bottaro
Bronze: :HKG Grace Mo Lau Sheung & :JPN Emiri Iwamoto

women's Kumite, -50kg
Gold: :TUR Gulsen Demirturk
Silver: :AUT Bettina Plank
Bronze: :ESP Nadia Gomez Morales & :TPE Gu Shiau-Shuang

women's Kumite, -55kg
Gold: :UKR Anzhelika Terliuga
Silver: :JPN Fumika Ishiai
Bronze: :JPN Shiori Nakamura & :BRA Valeria Kumizaki

women's Kumite, -61kg
Gold: :CAN Haya Jumaa
Silver: :ESP Cristina Ferrer Garcia
Bronze: :CHN Yin Xiaoyan & :JPN Yuki Kujuro

women's Kumite, -68kg
Gold: :CHN Gong Li
Silver: :EGY Feryal Abdelaziz
Bronze: :JPN Kayo Someya & :TUR Eda Eltemur

women's Kumite, +68kg
Gold: :GRE Eleni Chatziliadou
Silver: :CHN Gao Mengmeng
Bronze: :BRA Isabela Rodrigues & :JPN Yuzuki Sawae

men's Kata
Gold: :ESP Damian Hugo Quintero Capdevila
Silver: :INA Yuda Ahmad Zigi Zaresta
Bronze: :JPN Chikashi Hayashida & :JPN Issei Shimbaba

men's Kumite, -60kg
Gold: :IRI Miad Yari
Silver: :TUR Eray Samdan
Bronze: :BRA Douglas Brose & :EST Daniel Rodionov

men's Kumite, -67kg
Gold: :EGY Aly Ismail
Silver: :BRA Vinicius Figueira
Bronze: :IRI Amir Mehdizadeh & :JPN Soichiro Nakano

men's Kumite, -75kg
Gold: :UKR Stanislav Horuna
Silver: :CRO Enes Garibovic
Bronze: :JPN Yusei Sakiyama & :TUR Erman Eltemur

men's Kumite, -84kg
Gold: :IRI Zabiollah Poorshab
Silver: :KAZ Igor Chikhmarev
Bronze: :EGY Mohamed Ahmed Ramadan & :ITA Michele Martina

men's Kumite, +84kg
Gold: :GER Jonathan Horne
Silver: :NED Tyron Lardy
Bronze: :BEL Luca Costa & :USA Brian Irr

Karate 1 Serie A (Shanghai, CHN)

Final Medal Table

:ESP ESP,  2 / 1 / 1
:IRI IRI,  2 / 0 / 1
:UKR UKR,  2 / 0 / 0
:TUR TUR,  1 / 1 / 2
:CHN CHN,  1 / 1 / 1
:EGY EGY,  1 / 1 / 1
:CAN CAN,  1 / 0 / 0
:GER GER,  1 / 0 / 0
:GRE GRE,  1 / 0 / 0
:JPN JPN,  0 / 1 / 9
:BRA BRA,  0 / 1 / 3
:ITA ITA,  0 / 1 / 1
:AUT AUT,  0 / 1 / 0
:CRO CRO,  0 / 1 / 0
:INA INA,  0 / 1 / 0
:KAZ KAZ,  0 / 1 / 0
:NED NED,  0 / 1 / 0
:BEL BEL,  0 / 0 / 1
:EST EST,  0 / 0 / 1
:HKG HKG,  0 / 0 / 1
:TPE TPE,  0 / 0 / 1
:USA USA,  0 / 0 / 1

Only 3 medals for that "big army" ! I think the number of Iranians in this tournament was good enough to invade China :d we had something like 10-15 athletes in repechage but only Mehdizadeh managed to win a bronze (and maybe because he had to beat two other Iranians !) I don't think athletes can participate in such event without approval from their national federations. and my question is "how the hell our federation let these unknown athletes participate under Iran's flag" ? and looks like Karate is rich people sport here :d I mean nowadays considering current economical situation it's no easy to pay a trip to China on your own.

Poursheib and Mehdizadeh were already famous, but I didn't know this guy Yari at all and had to google him. but I think after all this tournament is not going to help our Olympic chance. Yari is not even in the national team program (yeah maybe they change that now) Mehdizadeh was terrible recently and now he is moving up a weight I don't think he stands a chance , Derafshipour is probably our best chance for Olympic quota here in this weight (he was there too but lost to Japan) and Poursheib is only the 2nd option behind Ganjzadeh. of course it's good to have someone else in the ranking in case something happens. 

our federations hopes for 6 quotas in Karate (which is VERY optimistic) to me 4 will be GREAT. but the most important thing is to qualify in all 3 men's kumite weights . they all can be gold medal chances in Tokyo. I believe we can't qualify more than 2 via Ranking (75kg and +75kg) the rest has to focus on the last qualifier.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I don't think athletes can participate in such event without approval from their national federations.

For Series A competitions (where there's no limit on the number of athletes that can participate) they can go on their own without approval from their federation, they only need to have a licence and pay for everything.

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

For Series A competitions (where there's no limit on the number of athletes that can participate) they can go on their own without approval from their federation, they only need to have a licence and pay for everything.

thanks, now that makes sense. I googled some of those names and couldn't find a thing about them , that was OK if a neighbor country like Turkey or UAE was the host but China  :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

2018 season has just gone, but 2019 is already knocking at the door...

ready for a "new" Karate?

well, even if the Olympic qualification pathway is already underway, the upcoming year will give us a completely new, revolutionary world of Karate competitions...

2 are the major changes that will surely impact big time the future of the sport: first, the women's Kumite bouts from now will last 3 minutes like the men's (alleluja! it was time! :cheer:); second, Kata competitions will have a totally new electronic scoring system, clearly inspired by figure skating, gymnastics and that kind of disciplines...system based only on the individual performance and not anymore on direct match-ups between the participating athletes...:yikes:

not sure what to think about it...if we get a bit less unfair judging, it's more than welcome, but I don't trust sports judges in any case (it doesn't matter if they are 5 with blue and red flags in their hands or if they are 14, writing their opinion with a small number on a PC :whistle::facepalm:)...so, let's wait and see what's coming with this new thing...:mumble:

p.s. and the competition format will also change accordingly to the new system, of course...

more details in the WKF press release, which I'm posting just below these lines...

'WKF competition rules amended ahead of crucial year for Karate

As Karate is getting closer and closer to making its anticipated debut in the sports programme of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, the competition rules for both Kata and Kumite will see significant amendments being introduced next season. The duration of bouts in female Kumite and a modernised judging system for Kata will be among the main updates to be applied by the World Karate Federation. 

The new year will not only bring an event-filled season of first-class Karate; Starting January 1st, the regulations of top Karate competitions will be updated to further strengthen the appeal and relevance of Karate's main events in the build-up of the introduction of the sport in the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. 

Following a long-time request from competitors and major stakeholders alike, the duration of Kumite bouts will be adjusted so both Male and Female encounters will have the same length.

Therefore, from January 1st, both Male and Female Kumite bouts will last three (3) minutes, thus increasing the duration of clashes of Female Kumite from two to three minutes. 

ELECTRONIC JUDGING SYSTEM INTRODUCED IN KATA 

Aiming to streamline Kata competitions, the WKF will introduce a modernised judging system for the category of choreographed movements. Accordingly, the decision-taking protocol by flags will now be replaced by a point-allocation system. 

121218_rules01.jpg

With the new procedure, technical and athletic performances will be examined. A panel formed by seven judges will evaluate the performances, and scores will be given according to the technical and athletic presentation of the Katas. The system will automatically eliminate the two highest and two lowest scores for both criteria; the total amount of points will be calculated following a breakdown of 70% for technical performance and 30% for athletic performance. 

The evaluation for technical performance includes aspects such as stances, transitional movements, timing, “Kime” and conformance, while the athletic performance will be reviewed according to strength, speed and balance.  

All the competitors participating in a Kata event will be divided into pools of eight karatekas, with the four competitors getting the highest scores moving into the next round. Athletes with lesser points will be eliminated until only two groups of eight competitors remain. At this stage, the top three competitors from both pools will qualify for the final bouts, with the second and third-ranked karatekas from each group competing for bronze and the two top athletes clashing for gold. 

In the event that competitors obtain the same number of points, the tie should be resolved by executing an additional kata to determine which competitor goes into the next round. 

The amended judging system will be applied to both individual and team Kata competitions. In the case of the team kata events, the duration of the medal bouts will also be modified. The time limit of katas in the team categories for medal bouts will be reduced to five minutes thus aiming to further increase the dynamism and excitement of the tremendously popular category of choreographed movements by teams.'

121218_rules02.jpg

Edited by phelps

and after the news related to the new competition formats, here we have also the calendar of the main 2019 events, the Karate 1 Premier League and the second-tier league, Serie A:

2019 Karate 1 Premier League Calendar

January 25-27: Karate 1 Premier League Paris (France)
February 15-17: Karate 1 Premier League Dubai (UAE)
April 19-21: Karate 1 Premier League Rabat (Morocco)
June 7-9: Karate 1 Premier League Shanghai (China)
September 6-8: Karate 1 Premier League Tokyo (Japan)
October 4-6: Karate 1 Premier League Moscow (Russia)
November 29-December 1: Karate 1 Premier League Madrid (Spain) 

2019 Karate 1 Serie A Calendar

March 1-3: Karate 1 Serie A Salzburg (Austria)
May 17-19: Karate 1 Serie A Istanbul (Turkey)
June 21-23: Karate 1 Serie A Montreal (Canada)
September 20-22: Karate 1 Serie A Santiago (Chile)

3 hours ago, phelps said:

ready for a "new" Karate?

'WKF competition rules amended ahead of crucial year for Karate

As Karate is getting closer and closer to making its anticipated debut in the sports programme of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, the competition rules for both Kata and Kumite will see significant amendments being introduced next season. The duration of bouts in female Kumite and a modernised judging system for Kata will be among the main updates to be applied by the World Karate Federation. 

I think I exactly asked for such change in Kata scoring system. having a number as the final score is much better than just a 5-0 or 4-1 which doesn't show the real difference between two competitors.

the new Kata format is also interesting. what if we have less than 16 competitors ? we still should have those 1st/2nd rounds or we can go directly to the pre-final round . what about the Olympics with only 10 competitors ? 2 groups of 5 and then after one round of Kata, group winner to the final ?

and finally 3 minutes competition for women. even though I still prefer 4 minutes for both gender but still this is better than only 2 minutes !!! still no extra time but positive changes in general.