website statistics

Judo 2018 Discussion Thread

bestmen

1 ora fa, George_D ha scritto:

i predict that japanese will make a sweep in 2 years at their home

I hope they will feel so much pressure that they have an epic fail...

but I'm afraid of what they could do...a possible sweep is not so unthinkable...

Kim Polling is out for the rest of the year, she'll get a surgery for a hernia.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Am 12.8.2018 um 18:57 schrieb George_D:

i predict that japanese will make a sweep in 2 years at their home

Nope, Wieczerzak won't allow it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I am very impressed by Hungary recently, they are really developing a lot of diversity (artistic gymnastics, judo, athletics). Also nice to see Karl-Richard Frey being back on the podium, he and Wieczerzak/Ressel (depending on who qualifies) are the only german medal hopes on the men's side.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you guys , Judo experts. I used to know Judo rules better but IJF changes the rules almost every year and there are some unwritten rules .

take a look at this match

https://tamasha.com/v/Vl5md

what do you think about the last Shido ?! I know it's not hard to justify that but is this a common thing to give 3rd Shido in last second for such a non-obvious situation ? in a gold medal match ?

Personally I think Shido wasn't technically wrong but it wasn't just fair. I saw so many times Judokas go extremely defensive in last few seconds with no penalty, the Kazakh guy won the gold medal without doing anything special the entire 4 minutes. :(

Edited by MHSN

1 ora fa, MHSN ha scritto:

I have a question for you guys , Judo experts. I used to know Judo rules better but IJF changes the rules almost every year and there are some unwritten rules .

take a look at this match

https://tamasha.com/v/Vl5md

what do you think about the last Shido ?! I know it's not hard to justify that but is this a common thing to give 3rd Shido in last second for such a non-obvious situation ? in a gold medal match ?

Personally I think Shido wasn't technically wrong but it wasn't just fair. I saw so many times Judokas go extremely defensive in last few seconds with no penalty, the Kazakh guy won the gold medal without doing anything special the entire 4 minutes. :(

unfortunately (or fortunately?) they've become very strict about those waste of time in the final seconds of a bout...

to be honest, earlier today I'd have given the 3rd shido to Mollaei with still 14 secs to go, when he clearly threw a fake attack on his back...technically, it would have been even more justified than the last second shido, which is within the new interpretation of the rules, but at the same time it's also very harsh to him and tough to be accepted (also by the neutral fans)...

but nowadays with 2 shido you must pay a lot of attention...it's a lot easier than in the past to get DSQ because of stupid and meaningless mistakes (at last year's world champs, Fabio Basile was DSQ in the extra time in his re-match of the Olympic final against An-Baul for a lot less than what Mollaei did today)...

however, he's in good company...I remember I saw a semifinal bout in a grand prix tournament last year (or was it just before Rio 2016? :mumble: I'm sure of the episode, but I might be wrong on the date in which it happened), when it was the Brazilian Olympic medallist Erika Miranda to be penalized after the end of the match against an Italian girl (I think she was Giuffrida, our Rio silver medallist in the women's -52kg class)...

and I'm pretty sure it happened quite a few times in the last couple of years...

30 minutes ago, phelps said:

unfortunately (or fortunately?) they've become very strict about those waste of time in the final seconds of a bout...

to be honest, earlier today I'd have given the 3rd shido to Mollaei with still 14 secs to go, when he clearly threw a fake attack on his back...technically, it would have been even more justified than the last second shido, which is within the new interpretation of the rules, but at the same time it's also very harsh to him and tough to be accepted (also by the neutral fans)...

but nowadays with 2 shido you must pay a lot of attention...it's a lot easier than in the past to get DSQ because of stupid and meaningless mistakes (at last year's world champs, Fabio Basile was DSQ in the extra time in his re-match of the Olympic final against An-Baul for a lot less than what Mollaei did today)...

however, he's in good company...I remember I saw a semifinal bout in a grand prix tournament last year (or was it just before Rio 2016? :mumble: I'm sure of the episode, but I might be wrong on the date in which it happened), when it was the Brazilian Olympic medallist Erika Miranda to be penalized after the end of the match against an Italian girl (I think she was Giuffrida, our Rio silver medallist in the women's -52kg class)...

and I'm pretty sure it happened quite a few times in the last couple of years...

thanks. that was helpful. even in Iran after few minutes of being in shock they said the call wasn't wrong, of course Mollaei himself never accepted this. Mollaei's coach got rejected in another match and they had to put some random guy in place of the coach, I think having his coach would help him in last 20 seconds.

this defeat still hurts me, it would be our first gold medal in Judo after 16 years ! and would be my 2nd best moment of the Games. that was really sad a big guy like him crying like a baby. even in Rio 2016 he lost to the eventual gold medalist by having one more shido just because he disposed his judogi without referee's permission !

to make things worse. our other Judoka today lost by ippon to An Chang-rim again in the last second !

• 2 weeks later...