website statistics

Handball 2018 Discussion Thread

mihamiha

and after todays win against Israel, we are already qualified for the play-off, the last match against Kosovo has no more importance.

Hopefully this time we´ll be a bit more lucky than last time, when we got Spain (WCh runner-up at that time)

Australia got their 1st victory ever in their 1st participation in Women's Asian championship , as they defeated Iran at group stage 29-24 and they have a big chance for another victory when they face their neighbors NZ , they're coached by the Egyptian Heba Ali  

On 08/12/2018 at 20:08, DaniSRB said:

Appearently for Australia is playing transwoman. This all went too far

Are you gonna tell that to her face or am I? Hint: I'm not :p 

Spoiler

10222662-3x2-700x467.jpg

100kg of muscles

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Some of the headlines from today's EHF Executive Committee meeting are that handball's international club tournaments come in brand new versions, and national team players get longer summer break. Handball's biggest club tournaments look significantly different from 2020. EHF's Executive Committee has approved new structures.

At the same time, the international matches that are usually played in June will move forward. Instead, the matches will be played at the end of April and early May. That way, the best players get a longer summer break, which will help them to recover properly between the seasons.

Champions League will be changed. The changes will come into force from the 2020/2021 season and apply to both men and women.

There will be 16 teams. This number is no change for the women's handball, but for the men the field is cut sharply. In the current structure, 28 teams participate in men's Champions League. On the other hand, it is new to both that the structure of the group phase has been changed. Now it will consist of 2 groups with 8 teams in each. The two best teams in each group go straight to the quarterfinals, while the two lowest placed teams are out after the group phase. The remaining clubs are paired across the two groups in a play-off round where they play in the quarterfinals. Four teams advance from the play-off phase and meet the four best teams from group phase. The winners here are ready for Final 4.

image.png.3ba028317b3885ec2c02f96eb7f453ee.png

The EHF Cup will change its name. The changes will come into force from the 2020/2021 season and apply to both women and men. The tournament will be called the European Handball League. The changes for the men's edition will come into effect from the 2020/2021 season. 24 teams in 4 groups with 6 teams in each.  The two lowest placed teams are out after the group phase, while the other four teams meet in the 1/8 finals. 

image.png.75862a10f7c4d35d2163c3396c8ad08c.png

The changes for the women's editon will take effect from the 2020/2021 season. 16 teams in 4 groups with 4 teams in each. The two lowest placed teams will be out after the group phase, while the two best teams go through to the quarterfinals. 

image.png.835108d21d53b54cfd39490ffeb2b543.png

Edited by wumo26

• 2 weeks later...

No longer Helle Thomsen as headcoach of The Netherlands' women. I can't believe it ... such a good coach and the NHV (Dutch Handball Association) doesn't want to work with her any longer. Or did Helle demand too much money?

26 minutes ago, CCB said:

No longer Helle Thomsen as headcoach of The Netherlands' women. I can't believe it ... such a good coach and the NHV (Dutch Handball Association) doesn't want to work with her any longer. Or did Helle demand too much money?

She has said this to a Danish media.

- Basically, it has nothing to do with the fact that we could not reach agreement. I'm just too ambitious and goal-oriented. I would like to create the optimal development, but the leaders of NHV and I may not agree upon how we develop Dutch handball and that is fair enough.

During the final round of the European Championship, her contract was a theme.

- Of course I would like to continue, but there are also some things which one should have control over to continue. I also have some requirements for the NHV, where there are some places I would like them to step up. So we have to see that in January, Helle Thomsen said on December 9.