website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2018 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) Congress has voted in favour of including parkour as an official new discipline.

It has also been officially confirmed that Congress accepted the creation of the Gymnastics Ethics Foundation, a new body charged with implementing FIG policy on the safeguarding and protecting of athletes.

The Congress also agreed to strengthen the FIG's governance in the field of gender equality and ratified a number of changes related to the statutes.

"For instance," the release continued, "Federations participating with more than one delegate in the Congress, must now include at least one representative of each gender.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1073020/fig-congress-votes-for-official-inclusion-of-parkour-events

2 hours ago, wumo26 said:

The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) Congress has voted in favour of including parkour as an official new discipline.

It has also been officially confirmed that Congress accepted the creation of the Gymnastics Ethics Foundation, a new body charged with implementing FIG policy on the safeguarding and protecting of athletes.

The Congress also agreed to strengthen the FIG's governance in the field of gender equality and ratified a number of changes related to the statutes.

"For instance," the release continued, "Federations participating with more than one delegate in the Congress, must now include at least one representative of each gender.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1073020/fig-congress-votes-for-official-inclusion-of-parkour-events

I support Parkour Earth and not the abomination the FIG wants

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...
Em 05/12/2018 at 20:28, wumo26 disse:

Again? Parkour was accepted as a discipline in late 2017, so they probably only ratified their their previous decision.

Em 05/12/2018 at 23:28, Olympian1010 disse:

I support Parkour Earth and not the abomination the FIG wants

I completely agree. Parkour is not gymnastics. I feel ashamed as a fan of gymnastics to even call parkour practitioners "gymnasts".

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I completely agree. Parkour is not gymnastics. I feel ashamed as a fan of gymnastics to even call parkour practitioners "gymnasts".

In all fairness there are similarities, but anyone who knows the history of parkour knows that it do not start that way. It was intended to be a modern martial art, and improve on guerilla warfare/movement strategies. Free-running I’ll buy as being closer to gymnastics, but it still has different origins. Parkour was never even meant to be a competition, and free-running was supposed to be a fun trick filled way to practice with friends. Parkour Earth is definitely in the right here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela