website statistics

Field Hockey 2018 Discussion Thread

Dolby

• 1 month later...

FIH awards for 2017:

Male Player of the Year: Arthur van Doren :BEL (also won best under 23 player)

Female Player of the Year: Delfina Merino :ARG 

Female Under 23: Maria Granatto :ARG 

Male Goalkeeper of the Year: Vincent Vanasch :BEL 

Female Goalkeeper of the Year: Madeleine Hinch :ENG 

Today started both the men and women's indoor world cups.

I'm not particularly interested in indoor hockey but it has free YouTube livestream on the FIH channel and some "exotic" nations (for this sport at least) like :IRI:NAMor:KAZ participate.

On 2/7/2018 at 18:12, VolleyRuller96 said:

I realize winter olympics start soon, but it would be nice if our media actuallynoticed we are playing the world championship.

To be fair, indoor is so much smaller. Hockey is not the biggest thing in our country, but it does get quite a decent amount of attention, but this indoor World Cup basically went by without anyone really noticing. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 4 weeks later...

Australia won the 27th edition of the traditional men's tournament "The Sultan Azlan Shah Cup"...

earlier today, they defeated England 2-1 in the final match

Argentina (3-2 over the hosts from Malaysia) ended up in 3rd place, meanwhile India (4-1 over Ireland) were 5th

more infos:

http://www.azlanshahcup.com/

Asian Games men's qualifiers going on right now, they will give 4 quota for the games. I think it's the first time I see :AFG playing any tournament, good for them.

On the other hand, after winning bronze in indoor WC Iran is not even participating, so they won't even go to the Asian Games. What gives? :dunno:

Also Pan american YOG qualifiers (M&W) started today, with YouTube livestream in PAHF channel if anyone interested.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 20:03, LDOG said:

Asian Games men's qualifiers going on right now, they will give 4 quota for the games. I think it's the first time I see :AFG playing any tournament, good for them.

On the other hand, after winning bronze in indoor WC Iran is not even participating, so they won't even go to the Asian Games. What gives? :dunno:

well, outdoor hockey isn't active much in Iran. lack of hockey pitch, poor hockey federation etc. I don't know how hard it is to adjust to outdoor hockey but based on previous results Iran is probably good for a 7th-8th place in Asia right now.

BUT Iran NOC has some policies about the Asian Games participation, with few exceptions like Gymnastics and Swimming, they only participate in sports where they can be competitive and compete for medal. last time in 2014 Iran qualified for the Asian Games but the NOC didn't send them to Incheon.

• 2 months later...

I just watched the Euro Hockey League final...

and I must say that I really DO NOT LIKE this stupid new scoring system with the field goals giving 2 points and the goals coming off penalty corners giving just 1 point...:facepalm:

c'mon, man! this is not basketball with free throws, 2-pointers and 3-pointers...this is Hockey...and a goal is a goal...STOP! :wall:

p.s. however, HC Bloemendaal (NED) won the European Club title once again (today, they won 8-2 [4-1, with the "old", traditional scoring system] against HC Kampong, also from NED)...