Bronze Medal Match:

Hungary b. Russia 45-43

Gold Medal Match:

South Korea b. Iran 45-31

Here is the Full Final Ranking (and Results) from Today's competition:

http://fie.org/competitions/2018/827/results/rank

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, phelps said:

not only, right now Iran is facing South Korea in the gold medal final of the Team event...

here's the Live streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfBCiYGTGVo

Yeah I was following them today, but missed the final , just forgot it as I was watching basketball World Cup qualifiers :facepalm:

that was great for Iran beating great teams Italy and Hungary but yet again they lose to Korea. I don't know if it's technical or mental . I would expect a closer match at least. but still second place is a great result.

I wonder how is our chance to qualify for Tokyo in team event. I assume they will reduce the number of teams per each weapon since they added two more events (or maybe not ? 8 was already very low, we can't have a team competition with 6 or 7 teams)

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

Yeah I was following them today, but missed the final , just forgot it as I was watching basketball World Cup qualifiers :facepalm:

that was great for Iran beating great teams Italy and Hungary but yet again they lose to Korea. I don't know if it's technical or mental . I would expect a closer match at least. but still second place is a great result.

I wonder how is our chance to qualify for Tokyo in team event. I assume they will reduce the number of teams per each weapon since they added two more events (or maybe not ? 8 was already very low, we can't have a team competition with 6 or 7 teams)

no, they cut down the individual spots for the smaller Nations...:facepalm:

the teams will be 8 per event (plus, in case they elect 3 athletes in that given weapon without actually qualifying, the hosts), as usual...

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, phelps said:

the teams will be 8 per event (plus, in case they elect 3 athletes in that given weapon without actually qualifying, the hosts), as usual...

and no change in qualification system ? top 4 in world ranking plus next best from each continent (should be in top 16) ? in this case there is a good chance for Korea to be in top 4 which helps Iran to qualify easier. even tough I know this is too early to think about that

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

and no change in qualification system ? top 4 in world ranking plus next best from each continent (should be in top 16) ? in this case there is a good chance for Korea to be in top 4 which helps Iran to qualify easier. even tough I know this is too early to think about that

The draft published by FIE confirms what you are saying for all team events

2 hours ago, phelps said:

One less for the Americas, right?

3 minuti fa, Agger ha scritto:

But isn't that an AOR spot reserved for the Americas?

there's one spot less in that ranking and one in the continental quota...but I have to check this things a bit better...:mumble:

I only remember that they took out 2 spots in each of the 4 events that already had the team event to make room for a few more spots in the remaining 2...

the only thing I'm sure it's that we should have 6 individual events with 38 starters each (plus the reserved spots for Japan, of course)...

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

there's one spot less in that ranking and one in the continental quota...but I have to check this things a bit better...:mumble:

I only remember that they took out 2 spots in each of the 4 events that already had the team event to make room for a few more spots in the remaining 2...

the only thing I'm sure it's that we should have 6 individual events with 38 starters each (plus the reserved spots for Japan, of course)...

From what I see (2016 on wiki and the 2020 draft http://static.fie.org/uploads/18/92132-10.Tokyo 2020 - Qualification System - Fencing - ang.pdf) it's just the AOR spot for the Americas (compared to weapons with team events in 2016). They had 11 individual spots in 2016 and now 10 per weapon