website statistics

Athletics 2018 Discussion Thread

bestmen

33 minuti fa, dcro ha scritto:

Here is the map of the race walking courses. Looks like 2km laps for 20km and 4km laps for 50km.

20180531-02-EN.jpg

wow! that's something new...

IAAF should have changed some rules (since until last year the 2-km circuit also for the 50km race was mandatory)...

however, I think this new format is way, way better...the 2km circuit is too short for a race that long...there's always too much confusion with all those lappings..if they can cut them down , it's only a good thing...

p.s. always thinking that Race Walking should be cancelled from any sport program...since it's a total farce ran by a couple of cheaters making only their personal interests...

any reference to the Damilano family and China + Japan is not unintentional...:whistle:

Edited by phelps

34 minutes ago, dcro said:

Here is the map of the race walking courses. Looks like 2km laps for 20km and 4km laps for 50km.

20180531-02-EN.jpg

4km? That doesn't quite add up (unless they do the 2km for the last lap) :mumble:

7 minutes ago, Agger said:

4km? That doesn't quite add up (unless they do the 2km for the last lap) :mumble:

"The race walk events will take place in the Outer Gardens of the Imperial Palace; there will be a 1km loop course for the 20km events and a 2km loop course for the 50km event. "

https://tokyo2020.org/en/news/notice/20180531-01.html

1 ora fa, Dunadan ha scritto:

"The race walk events will take place in the Outer Gardens of the Imperial Palace; there will be a 1km loop course for the 20km events and a 2km loop course for the 50km event. "

https://tokyo2020.org/en/news/notice/20180531-01.html

OMG!!! that's an absolute killer! only 1 km loop...they must be totally crazy...so, we're gonna have the same mess we're used to see in the 50km race also in the 20km event...:facepalm::wall:

once again...get rid of this farce!

2 hours ago, phelps said:

OMG!!! that's an absolute killer! only 1 km loop...they must be totally crazy...so, we're gonna have the same mess we're used to see in the 50km race also in the 20km event...:facepalm::wall:

once again...get rid of this farce!

It's rather interesting. Other sports really try getting simpler but this is really set up for a race that's tough to follow!

hace 11 horas, phelps said:

p.s. always thinking that Race Walking should be cancelled from any sport program...since it's a total farce ran by a couple of cheaters making only their personal interests...

I also dislike race walking, but because they walk awkardly. I don't find it interesting at all. Instead, the Olympics and other games should have half-marathons and 4 x 5km mixed relays.

19 minutes ago, NaBUru38 said:

I also dislike race walking, but because they walk awkardly. I don't find it interesting at all. Instead, the Olympics and other games should have half-marathons and 4 x 5km mixed relays.

Yay, another event where you don't see the best performances (like in the marathon) and a completely random relay. How about shot put hurdling while we're at it?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And for anyone wanting race walking to be gone: 

Spoiler

raw

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 ore fa, NaBUru38 ha scritto:

horror! horror! horror, again!!!

I hate all the mixed events...men and women are NOT made to compete together in sport...they complete themselves in a family, but they must not be put in the same sport competition (I mean, racing against each other...they can easily take part in the same event...but with different rankings)...

Martina Hrašnová became today the 13th officially qualified SVK athlete for the European Championships in Berlin with a attempt of 73.25 :yes

Qualified Athletes with the EA standards

Men´s

• Ján Volko (100 m and 200 m)
  • Tibor Sahajda (marathon)
  • Matej Tóth (20 km Race Walk and 50 km Race Walk) *Obviously he´ll very likely focus only for the 50km
  • Dušan Majdán (50 km Race Walk)
  • Lukáš Beer (High Jump)
  • Matúš Bubeník (High Jump)
  • Tomáš Veszelka (Triple Jump)
  • Marcel Lomnický (Hammer Throw)

Women´s

• Alexandra Bezeková (200 m and 400 m)
  • Iveta Putalová (400 m)
  • Martina Hrašnová (Hammer Throw)
  • Mária Katerinka Czaková (20 km Race Walk and 50 km Race Walk)
  • Lucia Vadlejch (Heptathlon)

Qualified Athletes with the SAZ (Slovak Athletics Federation) standards

*A athlete can qualify throughout this standard only if there no other athlete that reached the EA standard in the event and will be still a subject of approval from the ECh Technical delegate

Women´s

• Stanislava Lajčáková (100 m Hurdles)