website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

heywoodu

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dennis:

Nine different countries in the top 10: :NED:CAN:NOR:NZL:KOR:BEL:ITA:JPN:GER 

Name another event at the Winter Olympic Games with athletes from 9 different countries and 4 different continents finishing in the top 10.

Not at the winter olympics, but women's modern pentathlon at 2016 olympics for example:

1) Australia (Oceania)

2) France (Europe)

3) Poland

4) Germany

5) GB

6) Ireland

7) Italy

8) GB

9) Kazakhstan (Asia)

10) Mexico (South America)

So now we know which sports are the most competitive at summer and winter olympics ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not at the winter olympics, but women's modern pentathlon at 2016 olympics for example:

1) Australia (Oceania)

2) France (Europe)

3) Poland

4) Germany

5) GB

6) Ireland

7) Italy

8) GB

9) Kazakhstan (Asia)

10) Mexico (South America)

So now we know which sports are the most competitive at summer and winter olympics ...

Of course I'm not saying that speed skating is the most competitive sport, but since Sochi there has been a lot of discussion about the Dutch 'dominance' in speed skating. In this distance that's a valid argument as :NED has won 37 medals at the World Single Distance Championships. The second best country is :USA with 4 medals.

Now at the Winter Olympic Games, the biggest competition in the world where everyone is trying to peak, we see that athletes from so many different countries and continents can fight for the medals and top 10 spots. In 2010 the top 10 consisted of athletes from 6 countries (2 continents) and in 2014 there were athletes from 5 countries all from Europe in the top 10. I think that what we saw today is a great result for the sport. These are Sven Kramer's final WOG, so I'm curious to see how this will develop in the next Olympic cycle.

Edited by Dennis

I don't think a sport or event should be eliminated because it is dominated by one nation. No one is calling for basketball to be removed because the US always win. What matters more is how many nations actively compete and for a winter sport speed skating is fine. Nordic combined may want to watch itself if there ever comes a time to shrink the number of sports.

Edited by JoshMartini007

il y a 11 minutes, JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

I don't think a sport or event should be eliminated because it is dominated by one nation. No one is calling for basketball to be removed because the US always win. What matters more is how many nations actively compete and for a winter sport speed skating is fine. Nordic combined may want to watch itself if there ever comes a time to shrink the number of sports.

There are hundred of millions of basketball players around the world... That's a very flawed comparison to make IMO (it also only gives two gold medals).

Besides, what's a competitive nation ? Is France one ? We don't have a speed skating rink, no amateur skaters, no dedicated federation, not even a comite somewhere and yet Alexis Contin is a mass start silver medallist.

I don't see here a "nations actively compete", but a sole skater actively compete on his own. Having a bunch of posterboys from all around the world hardly makes for an interntional competitive sport in my mind.

There are what ? Five, six nations with a dedicated homegrown program for speed skating ? Even for winter sports, that's on the lower side.

PS: I don't want speedskating out or anything, but there is no need to exagerate its international nature by cherrypecking a couple of races here and there.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb JoshMartini007:

I agree, sports like nordic combined, aerials or especially women's ice hockey are much more in danger.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

19 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

There are hundred of millions of basketball players around the world... That's a very flawed comparison to make IMO (it also only gives two gold medals).

Besides, what's a competitive nation ? Is France one ? We don't have a speed skating rink, no amateur skaters, no dedicated federation, not even a comite somewhere and yet Alexis Contin is a mass start silver medallist.

I don't see here a "nations actively compete", but a sole skater actively compete on his own. Having a bunch of posterboys from all around the world hardly makes for an interntional competitive sport in my mind.

There are what ? Five, six nations with a dedicated homegrown program for speed skating ? Even for winter sports, that's on the lower side.

PS: I don't want speedskating out or anything, but there is no need to exagerate its international nature by cherrypecking a couple of races here and there.

France obviously has a federation or else they wouldn't be able to send athletes in the sport. "Active participation" can be difficult to measure, is one person enough? I say yes, but having more is better. It's just that once you pass a certain number it stops mattering. American Football has a lot of people playing, but it's concentrated in the United States.