website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

Just now, Jur said:

I actually LOVED the idea.

It's different to the rest of the sailing events, loved that it runs for three days and it's a large endurance race. I'm really hyped right now!

I only had bad reviews about it cause I heard some international sailors trash it, cause aparently it's very expensive (I mean, isn't all sailing expensive?). But it really adds something new to the games.

I like that you can use an app the virtual compete against them in near live time. It’d be interesting to see if any can beat real Olympians on the Olympic course. I also like the on-board 24/7 cameras, and the fact the race for 24 hours. I think it should really reenergize the program. I really hope to see some great sailing and great sailors. I’m totally ready like you, to give it a chance. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s a bit ambitious, but I’m honestly down to give this event a shot. There are some really cool ideas in video about the event. Based of the description, it would meet my personal requirements for Olympic inclusion. Video Description:

it has nothing to do with Olympic sailing...

it's just because the French are more than obsessed with those trans-oceanic races and would like to celebrate their popular heroes also at a global event...:whistle:

some kind of activity, as entertaining and exciting they could be, are just not tailor made for the Olympic Games and their environment...this is one of those (otherwise, why not a full America's Cup kind of class and format? surely it's more exciting and tv friendly than this thing)...

Just now, phelps said:

it has nothing to do with Olympic sailing...

it's just because the French are more than obsessed with those trans-oceanic races and would like to celebrate their popular heroes also at a global event...:whistle:

some kind of activity, as entertaining and exciting they could be, are just not tailor made for the Olympic Games and their environment...this is one of those (otherwise, why not a full America's Cup kind of class and format? surely it's more exciting and tv friendly than this thing)...

I have to disagree here. I think this is the perfect event for the Olympics. The Volvo Ocean Race has never been more popular (it’s televised in the US all the time), and longer race tours are becoming more frequent. It makes sense to add an event like this to the Olympics. They actually wanted to add it in Tokyo, but IOC said they’d need more time to prepare and organize something like this. I don’t know if it’s officially in the 2024 Olympics yet, since the program isn’t confirmed. I don’t think this event is a perfect fit for the Olympics, but I’m ready to give it a chance. Plus, it’s closer to how sport sailing has been conducted for hundreds of years.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I have to disagree here. I think this is the perfect event for the Olympics. The Volvo Ocean Race has never been more popular (it’s televised in the US all the time), and longer race tours are becoming more frequent. It makes sense to add an event like this to the Olympics. They actually wanted to add it in Tokyo, but IOC said they’d need more time to prepare and organize something like this. I don’t know if it’s officially in the 2024 Olympics yet, since the program isn’t confirmed. I don’t think this event is a perfect fit for the Olympics, but I’m ready to give it a chance. Plus, it’s closer to how sport sailing has been conducted for hundreds of years.

Popular =! Olympic event

I thought the popular days of the Volvo Ocean Race were years ago :d

Anyway, I didn't watch the video yet but it can't be much less interesting than current sailing (in my opinion, of course), so let's give it a try, nothing to lose :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, LDOG said:

It's a good idea but it looks ridiculously expensive, not sure how many nations could afford that.

Supposedly the boats are one design, and will be provided at the Olympics. I’m not sure about qualification events.

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I'm not saying it's not gonna be exciting for the real sailing fans...but popular? it's the most elitarian event they could add to the program...the exact opposite of youth, urban and easily accessible...:evil:

there are no more than 5 or 6 Nations that could build a crew not going to risk their life in such kind of regatta...not to mention how expensive it is in terms of organization (mainly due to the monitoring and rescue teams)...

the Volvo Ocean race is popular just in those few Countries with centennial sailing tradition (and not all of them)...USA, GBR, AUS, NZL, FRA...maybe NED and the Scandinavian Nations...that's it...

and I don't know how much tv time it gets on the main tv networks also in those Countries...

• 2 months later...

The official logo and emblem will be revealed on Monday (Oct. 21). It will not feature the Eiffel Tower :cry:. Too bad, I like the current logo a lot.