website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

13 hours ago, vinipereira said:

That is great and all, but in reality it seems like they couldn't waste some time designing another logo, which makes the Paralympics an afterthought.

Isn't it, though? It seems to me that the IOC cannot make up their minds about what they want for the Paralympic Games. It looks like the IOC thinks about itself as a generous organization for "lending" the venues to the IPC after the Olympic Games. It would have been better if the Paralympic Games were staged before the Olympics, so they could attract supporters who were highly anticipating the Olympics.

In my mind, though, I think it would be better to have a drastically smaller number of Para events integrated with the Olympic Games, and get rid altogether of the Paralympic Games. The Games segregate able-bodied and disabled athletes, while an integrated Olympic Games would promote sports even more. Besides, let Macau and Faroe Islands compete at the Olympics.

Edited by thiago_simoes

1 godzinę temu, Olympian1010 napisał:

Cigarettes do not cause cancer (at least according to the people that supposedly pay me)

Cigarettes and cancer? As if everyone who smokes was sick with cancer, in a moment 3/4 of humanity would die. Of course, they are not healthy, but they react differently to everyone.

23 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Isn't it, though? It seems to me that the IOC cannot make up their minds about what they want for the Paralympic Games. It looks like the IOC thinks about itself as a generous organization for "lending" the venues to the IPC after the Olympic Games. It would have been better if the Paralympic Games were staged before the Olympics, so they could attract supporters who were highly anticipating the Olympics.

In my mind, though, I think it would be better to have a drastically smaller number of Para events integrated with the Olympic Games, and get rid altogether of the Paralympic Games. The Games segregate able-bodied and disabled athletes, while an integrated Olympic Games would promote sports even more. Besides, let Macau and Faroe Islands compete at the Olympics.

We generally see eye to eye around, but I must disagree with this. 

The IOC and the IPC have a memorandum of understanding. They work to cooperate and share resources. Both understand that they are equally important organizations. I can’t really hold it against the IOC for wanting to support their event more, it is the whole reason for their existence after all. The relationship is beneficial for both.

To the second point you make, absolutely no. Many para athletes would get overlooked and shutout in that scenario. If we look at games where Para-Sport and Olympic sport are combined (Commonwealth Games, World Games, Mediterranean Games (and a few I may be forgetting), the host country generally only choose classifications, sports, and events in which they will win. There would be no para-sport at this point. There would just be some free charity medals. The games wouldn’t promote inclusion, though I very much respect your desire for that, they would promote exclusion and sectarian divide. The Paralympics are fine on their own. They are rapidly increasing in popularity and TV time/audience. The games do a lot of good for people with “disabilities”, and I’d hate to see that taken away.

Also, :MAC and :FRO should get their own NOCs tbh. Faroe Islands NOC now has recognition from :DEN:NOR:GER and :SWE I believe. Both are also technically independent countries in free association.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 hours ago, TomJa said:

Some famous interior or fashion designer from Paris did this :lol:. We better not laugh at his creation, because knowing his life he got millions for it.

5 euros would have been enough:  https://www.fiverr.com/kymber_lytitch/design-high-quality-hairdresser-logo-with-satisfaction-guaranteed

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

That's only going to make it even more impossible to watch everything though. You're gonna get a ton of situations where you have an Olympic final and a Paralympic final going on and really, a huge majority of people is going to choose to watch the Olympic one. Sad, but honest: when there's a Diamond League meet with some para-events (often in the UK I believe), I find myself often skipping those events when not watching live or turning away for a moment when watching live, because I'm just not very interested.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

tbh, I don't like this logo that much...I still prefer the old bidding logo with the Tour Eiffel...

by the way, imho they should have chosen a picture of a very young guy breakdancing with a smoking big city on the backdrop...it would have been more "youth and urban", like the Olympics they want to promote...:whistle:

7 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Even if most people think like that, it shouldn't be. But of course I'm fully aware that I'm on the outside when it comes to Paralympic events since I follow them more than other sports fans. Even though I don't agree with some of your thoughts, I wish there was some changes in the Paralympic programme. I don't know exactly how it's possible, but less events would make the Games more exciting to watch.

"The 2024 logo has immediately prompted criticism and mockery. Many people have pointed out that the logo basically looks like a chic Paris woman with bobbed hair and lipstick. Brits have mocked it as resembling Welsh actress Ruth Jones - better known as Nessa in hit TV show Gavin and Stacey. Others say it looks like Lisa Simpson. However there has also been plenty of support for it."

#banbestmen