website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2017

vinipereira

I'm the best, I don't understand it" says Iran's Weightlifter of the Year Rostami after US visa problems

Iran's Kianoush Rostami, who has been refused a visa to enter the United States for the International Weightlifting Federation World Championships ©Getty Images

Kianoush Rostami, the popular Olympic champion from Iran who was overwhelmingly voted male Weightlifter of the Year last February, has been refused a visa by the United States.

His hopes of competing in the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) World Championships, which run from November 28 until December 5 in Anaheim, California, rest on a second application to the US Department of State, which he made last week.

"“I don’t understand it," Rostami told insidethegames from his home in Iran.

"They tell me I must wait but they don't explain anything."

It is a race against time for Rostami, the Olympic champion and world record holder at 85 kilograms, whose first application was a "214b denial" - which means the Department of State was not fully satisfied of his intent to return to Iran after the World Championships.

Athletes from Iraq and Albania are also waiting on the Department of State to approve their visa applications.

There is no US embassy in Iran, so Rostami travelled to Dubai last week for a second interview with consular officials.

Part of the application process involves providing proof of a bank account and, said Rostami, on his second visit to Dubai: "I showed them I have two million dollars in my country.

"I told them: 'I am the best weightlifter in the world, I am the most popular weightlifter in the world, I am the world record holder'.

"I am not trying to get a green card, and I don't know what the problem is. 

"Is it fear?

"I am proud of being Iranian, and I want to come back to my country.

"They said 'we don’t need more, everything is okay, we will give you an answer, you must wait'. 

"But I said 'I have a competition in 25 days. I want to participate in this competition.'"

Rostami, a Kurd who trains alone without a coach, and who has criticised Iran’s coaches in the past, said he would never seek asylum in the US.

"I love Iran - we owe much to our martyrs and war veterans," he said.

"I just think about winning gold in the World Championships, and about a world record.

"For me a world record is more important than the gold medal - winning the gold medal is not always beautiful.

"The world record is the person that wants to fight me."

Phil Andrews, chief executive of USA Weightlifting, said: "We remain in daily contact with the US Department of State through the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) Government Relations Team and remain hopeful that all athletes who have applied in sufficient time will be issued visas for the World Championships.

"In particular, we look forward to welcoming the Islamic Republic of Iran, who are among the top teams in weightlifting."

Rostami, 26, was announced as male Weightlifter of the Year by the IWF in February after polling 20,000-plus votes, more than three times as many as his nearest rival, the Georgian super-heavyweight Lasha Talakhadze.

Two days later Rostami was dropped by the Iran national team for failing to attend a training camp.

Iran's head coach, Sajjad Anoushiravani, said at the time: "Rostami has been dropped from the national team after not participating in the training.

"He will not be a member of our team in the fourth Islamic Solidarity Games in Baku in May.

"Rostami has been also dropped from the national team in the 2017 Asian Weightlifting Championships [in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan in April]."

Rostami did not compete in either of those events because, he said, he rested after the Olympic Games for 11 months, and returned to high-intensity training only about two months ago.

He is back in the team now.

"I don’t have any problems with the Iran Weightlifting Federation but my training programme, the way I use my time, is different to all others, it's my own," he said.

Rostami has not competed since Rio, where he broke his own world record with a total of 396kg.

If Rostami is absent from Anaheim, a beneficiary could be Safaa Al-Jumaili from Iraq ©Getty Images

If Rostami is absent from Anaheim, a beneficiary could be Safaa Al-Jumaili from Iraq

©Getty Images

The next-ranked Iranian in the same weight class is Ali Miri, whose best of 361kg leaves him a long way behind Rostami but very close to the top-ranked Anaheim competitor should Rostami be absent, Safaa Al-Jumaili from across the border in Iraq.

The rest of Iran’s team have their visas.

Among them is the super-heavyweight Saeid Ali Hosseini, whose eight-year suspension for a second doping offence expired on October 24.

Hosseini, 29, who has been lifting huge weights in training, is joined in the over-105kg by Behdad Salimikordasiabi, who broke the snatch world record in Rio then controversially failed to register a total when his final lift was overruled for a press-out.

Georgia’s Talakhadze, runner-up to Rostami in the awards voting, won that super-heavyweight contest in Rio and broke Salimi’s snatch record in April, at the European Championships.

He bettered that snatch effort by 3kg yesterday with a lift of 220kg at the Georgian Championships, where his total of 474kg also exceeded his own world record.

Neither attempt will go into the record books, though, as they were not achieved in an international competition.

If Rostami - whose Olympic bronze in 2012 is due to be upgraded to silver after a doping disqualification - does not compete, his absence would take the number of no-show Olympic champions in Anaheim to nine.

One retired, Colombia’s Oscar Figueroa, and the others will not be there because nine nations are banned for multiple doping offences, and North Korea is not sending a team for political reasons.

The reduced field makes the competition wide open, and gives the host nation a chance of winning its first men’s World Championship medals since 1997.

"Many Olympic and World champions will be present in Anaheim,"said Andrews.

"Although the entry list shows chances for many different nations, including the United States, to grace the podium."

Edited by thepharoah

7 hours ago, thepharoah said:

and what's the point of having 2 consecutive wchs in the same country , to this limit no one cares about weightlifting in the world anymore !

The reason why most people don't care anymore is mostly because a ton of countries are proven to have a million dopers. As long as countries like Morocco or UAE can organize events (and even force Israeli athletes not to show their flag), USA can too :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

The reason why most people don't care anymore is mostly because a ton of countries are proven to have a million dopers. As long as countries like Morocco or UAE can organize events (and even force Israeli athletes not to show their flag), USA can too :p 

At least they don't prevent any Israeli athlete from participating , and if USA does this on purpose , how come we consider it a democratic country , and how come we can believe them when they talk about freedom for Muslim countries , so they are only liers if we consider your hypothesis 

4 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

At least they don't prevent any Israeli athlete from participating , and if USA does this on purpose , how come we consider it a democratic country , and how come we can believe them when they talk about freedom for Muslim countries , so they are only liers if we consider your hypothesis 

There is a big difference in this particular incident and the way Israeli athletes are treated by a number of Muslim countries. This is an isolated incident. Every year a large number of international competitions are held in USA. Muslim nations and athletes take part in these competitions regularly without many problems. 

There is no doubt that organisers should have ensured that Rostami got his visa, but to say that USA should be banned from hosting events due to this is a bit over the top.

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

There is a big difference in this particular incident and the way Israeli athletes are treated by a number of Muslim countries. This is an isolated incident. Every year a large number of international competitions are held in USA. Muslim nations and athletes take part in these competitions regularly without many problems. 

There is no doubt that organisers should have ensured that Rostami got his visa, but to say that USA should be banned from hosting events due to this is a bit over the top.

I'm not saying what happens in some countries are true , if u can't respect others , then don't organize an international event, but why always we see athletes from Muslim countries refused from entering US soil , this also happens with Egyptian athletes a lot , although Egypt doesn't have any problems with USA politically , rostami will not only be the one , Godelli and some Iraqi weightlifters and I'm sure soon I'll know that an Egyptian athlete or 2 were banned , I'm following individual sports closely from 2006 and I can tell u that this's not the first and won't be the last , maybe this time the athlete banned got some interest as long as he's the current Olympic champion and world record holder

Edited by thepharoah

Based on Entry list published on IWF site , these're Top 3 of each weight category in next WCH :- 

• Men's -56 Kg : 
  1. :VIE Tchach Kim Twan - 280 Kg 
  2. :VIE Tran Le Quoc Toan - 280 Kg
  3. :COL Berna Gonzales Carlos - 275 Kg
  4. :COL De Las Salas De La Rosa - 275 Kg
  • Men's -62 Kg :
  1. :COL Mosquera Valencia Francisco - 307 Kg 
  2. :VIE Trinh Van Vinh - 300 Kg
  3. :MEX Vazquez Mendes Antonia - 300 Kg 
  4. :JPN Itokazu Yoichi - 300 Kg
  5. :EGY Ahmed Saad - 300 Kg
  • Men's -69 Kg :
  1. :KOR Won Jeongsik - 340 Kg 
  2. :TUN Karem Ben Yehia - 330 Kg
  3. :MAS Mohd Hafifi Bin Mansour - 330 Kg
  4. :FRA Kingue Matam - 330 Kg 
  • Men's -77 Kg : 
  1. :EGY Mohamed Ihab Youssef - 365 Kg 
  2. :ALB Daniel Godelli - 360 Kg 
  3. :COL Caicedo Piedrahita Andres - 355 Kg 
  4. :COL Rodaligas Carvajal Brayan - 355 Kg 
  5. :ALB Qerimag Erkand - 355 Kg 
  • Men's -85 Kg : 
  1. :IRI Kinoush Rostami - 390 Kg 
  2. :POL Swarycz Krzysztof - 365 Kg 
  3. :KOR Yu Dongju - 365 Kg 
  4. :COL Moreno Torres - 365 Kg 
  • Men's -94 Kg : 
  1. :IRI Sohrab Moradi - 413 Kg 
  2. :LTU Dizbalis Aurimas - 390 Kg 
  3. :IRI Mousavijirahi Sayedayoob - 390 Kg 
  4. :EGY Ragab Abdelhay - 390 Kg 
  • Men's -105 Kg : 
  1. :LAT Plesnieks Arturs - 405 Kg 
  2. :IRI Soleymani Alireza - 401 Kg 
  3. :IRI Hashemi Ali - 401 Kg 
  • Men's +105 Kg : 
  1. :GEO Lasha Talakhadze - 450 Kg 
  2. :BRA Fernando Reis - 445 Kg 
  3. :IRI Behdad Salimi - 440 Kg 
  4. :IRI Saied Alihosseini - 440 Kg 
  5. :EST Mart Seim - 440 Kg 

Based on Entry list published on IWF site , these're Top 3 of each weight category in next WCH :- 

• Women's -48 Kg : 
  1. :MEX Carolina Hernandez - 191 Kg 
  2. :TKM Yulduz Dzhumbayeva  - 190 Kg
  3. :THA Sunya Suckshareon - 190 Kg
  4. :IND Saikhom Chanu - 190 Kg
  5. :FRA Anais Michel - 190 Kg
  • Women's -53 Kg :
  1. :TPE Shu-Ching Hsu - 220 Kg 
  2. :THA Sopita Tanasan - 210 Kg
  3. :THA Suppatra Kaewkhong - 210 Kg 
  • Women's -58 Kg :
  1. :TPE Hsing-Chun Kuo - 240 Kg