website statistics

Winter Olympics Games 2018 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Are you sure about these? These are basically Nigeria's and Jamaica's reserve pushers!

There is an official list

https://www.olympic.org/news/the-flagbearers-for-the-pyeongchang-2018-opening-ceremony

vor 20 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Shani Davis has reacted very angrily at this. Basically saying he deserves it more ("Because in 2010 I was the first American to defend the 1000m speed skating gold", like being the first of nation X to defend a medal in random event Y in itself is so meaningful), and even throwing in the #BlackHistoryMonth2018 hashtag, suggesting racism in all of this. Davis goes from one of the most awesome athletes to a really, really sore 'loser' (loser as in, missing out on carrying the flag). 

I mostly agree, just a few additional thoughts:

1) I am very surprised that they selected Erin Hamlin ... do people in the US even know what luge is? I would have expected that they select a snowboarder or figure skater.

2) The fact that they flipped a coin to decide between Hamlin and Davis is pretty embarrassing, they should have come up with a better method to decide in case of a tie.

3) He also said that he can wait until 2022, which might mean that he plans to continue until 2022, which would be pretty surprising considering his age.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Pavlo:

interesting choice for Austria

How so? She is an olympic champion and very popular, so who would have been a better choice in your opinion?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minut temu, OlympicsFan napisał:

How so? She is an olympic champion and very popular, so who would have been a better choice in your opinion?

well...Kraft/Hirscher/Reichelt/Matt are probably more "popular / known" in Poland, some luge athletes too probably. Great biathlonists, nordic "combiners", this internal popularity is sure the key. She certainly isn`t the most recognized Austrian athlete in PL, maybe that`s why this choice was quite a surprise for me

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it