website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Olympic Sports Programme

31 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That all but ends the hopes of smaller nations to qualify. 

The problem is quota have to come from somewhere. Personally every reduction in speed skating is one too many in my opinion, don't get me wrong. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the IOC policy and its olympic program, I can only encourage people to read this piece from insidethegames

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1068066/liam-morgan-beijing-2022-will-not-be-any-more-exciting-with-addition-of-more-mixed-team-events

This two beauties sum it up quite nicely to me 

Citation

Yes, the Olympics are about celebrating participation, but they are principally about competition.

Citation

But convenience and suitability should not trump the need for thrilling competition

Adesso, dcro ha scritto:

Good read. Honestly, at times it looks like only Totallympics is against those pop-up mix events.

probably because we are the only hardcore Olympic fans, really caring for the competitive aspect of the Games, meanwhile IOC, politicians and media networks are only interested in getting as much money as they can in their pockets...:whistle::pope:

Juste maintenant , phelps a déclaré:

probably because we are the only hardcore Olympic fans, really caring for the competitive aspect of the Games, meanwhile IOC, politicians and media networks are only interested in getting as much money as they can in their pockets...:whistle::pope:

That's a very short term view then.

The Olympics have become the Olympics because they became a forum for the best of the best to compete each others. That's the message of the olympics. The competitive nature of the games is what drives people every four (two) years. Each time, the IOC is adding more made up events whith basically no competitive fields or pending to its 'gender equity' policy, sacrificing much more competitive events in the process, they blur their inital message and alienate their inital fanbase.

The YOG are the crux of this philosophy. A bunch of random events played by random people, just making sure every one gets something. A festival of sports of some sort. Not something I'm interested in tbh.

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

That's a very short term view then.

The Olympics have become the Olympics because they became a forum for the best of the best to compete each others. That's the message of the olympics. The competitive nature of the games is what drives people every four (two) years. Each time, the IOC is adding more made up events whith basically no competitive fields or pending to its 'gender equity' policy, sacrificing much more competitive events in the process, they blur their inital message and alienate their inital fanbase.

The YOG are the crux of this philosophy. A bunch of random events played by random people, just making sure every one gets something. A festival of sports of some sort. Not something I'm interested in tbh.

The irony is that only the most hardcore of hardcore Olympic fans even know about the YOG. It has zero mainstream appeal.

48 minutes ago, Nate River said:

The irony is that only the most hardcore of hardcore Olympic fans even know about the YOG. It has zero mainstream appeal.

I still think YOG is important and great concept and idea

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I still think YOG is important and great concept and idea

I think the IOC have to decide whether they want it to be an Olympic Games for teenagers or a big festival where everybody enjoys themselves.

At the moment it's stuck in between the two ideas.

Personally I can see the good parts in both.

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The campaign for ice football at Beijing 2022 begins here...

Ice can’t wait for ice track Cycling and ice athletics 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela