website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

• 1 month later...
On 28/11/2018 at 17:02, dcro said:

Both logos are awful to be honest. At least these are only the candidature logos, so hopefully the official ones will be more inspired.

I like the Italian logo better. And I hope OG alpine skiing is finally held at a proper alpine skiing resort. Enough with this artificial snow & slopes crap. I can't even imagine how bad Beijing will look like.

12 ore fa, intoronto ha scritto:

Milan-Cortina bid book

What do the Italians think? @phelps @Gianlu33 @Sindo

We also know the games will be held between Feb 6 and 22, 2026

The gender equality crap is back in the schedule. :facepalm:

I need to read all the 127 pages of the document to answer your question more properly, but here are a few quick thoughts:

as I wrote in the past, I'm pretty much divided between the pride of being a citizen of Milan and the scare of what another Olympic party would mean for the Italian economy and above all for the Italian wintersports (the shame of 1 and 0 gold medals in the 2 Games following Torino 2006)...

about the 2026 Olympics, my fear it that they already said that some things may change after we get the Games (one safe bet: the new multi-purpose arena in Milan won't be built and the Hockey tournament flies to Turin, as rumors of the Olympic city from 2006 still getting something despite all the shameful chaos created in the past months by mayor Appendino and the majority of the city coucil have already started)...

the other venues to me are more than OK...they are all well established World Cup/World Championships locations and courses...and some of them are among the most demanding and spectacular in the world...so, probably under a strictly technical point of view, if it's going to happen, Milano-Cortina 2026 would feature the best competitions ever (and it will offer the audience some of the most amazing and breath-taking landscapes also)...

the finacial part is what I call a "cheat"...

basically they say that almost all the venues are already there (but they don't say that their "renovation works" are probably a full rebuilding and they also underestimate the costs of those works or, in some cases, they don't keep any relation to the same kind of works and the Olympics, as they say that most of them are already planned or underway in any case) and the most expensive new one (the new multi-purpose arena in Milan) is...well, they just say it will be built in any case (even if we don't get the Olympics) by private investors...

so, I'm really divided...my heart is for Milano-Cortina (and I'm sure it will be a great Olympic edition), my mind is to stay away from it like pestis...

• 2 weeks later...

Norway is considering to apply for 2030 olympics . The counties of Trøndelag , Telemark , Oppland and Hordaland wants have the olympics . Rogaland might also join.

If they get the government and stuff on board then Norway might apply. 

It will be a decentralized game with the events spread out on the various counties. 

It was mentioned having cross country in Trondheim , alpine skiing on Lillehammer , ice sports in Bergen and freestyle events on Voss. There's also talk of including a ski flying event in Vikersund.

IOC member Gerhard Heiberg said that in the future host nations might include new events that fits with that nation's games . Int that case Norway might include Telemark , ski orientering , bandy and dog sled racing. 

Lillehammer wanted to apply for 2026 games , but it didn't get support. 

Edited by Skijumpingmaster

Ok, done deal, give it to Norway now please :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

If Sweden wins in 2026, highly unlikely the IOC chooses Norway for 2030 (and that is if they survive till the vote).

Which is why they should act fast and award the whole thing now :evil: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!