website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

3 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I mean...

Moguls has gold medalists from four continents.

Aerials has gold medalists from four continents.

Snowboard half-pipe has medalists from four continents and gold medalists from three continents (Ayumu got robbed :( )

Ski half-pipe has medalists from four continents even though it’s only been contested at two Olympics.

Snowboard Big Air has medalists from three continents after having been contested at one Olympics.

It’s not just a matter of the sport as a whole bringing geographical diversity. There are multiple events in freestyle skiing and snowboarding where every continent other than Africa has medal potential.

I don't see South America having (realistic) medal potential there (yet). Less so than in speed skating, where North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Oceania all have at least somewhat realistic chances to win a medal in the next two or three Winter Olympics.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 ora fa, Col_Frost ha scritto:

I don't know about that cheap part. I honestly have no idea how costs of building venues for snowboarding and freestyle skiing looks like in compare with for example luge track, but I know that you have to build venues for: slopestyle, halfpipe, cross, big air, moguls, aerials and parallel slalom (well, maybe last thing can be the same venue as for slalom in alpine skiing, I don't know). Every single one of them is definetly cheaper than the hill for ski jumping but all together, I don't know.

By the way, it isn't so strange that so many countries are getting medals in this two events if they are practically six different events (slopestyle and halfpipe have a lot in common) ;) 

if you give a read at the Official Reports of the previous OG, you can find a lot of financial infos on the Games and on the Venues in particular...

for instance, just to make it simpler, you can read the last 15 pages of the Vancouver Report vol.2...that would give you an idea of the costs of those venues...;)

https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll8

13 godzin temu, phelps napisał:

if you give a read at the Official Reports of the previous OG, you can find a lot of financial infos on the Games and on the Venues in particular...

for instance, just to make it simpler, you can read the last 15 pages of the Vancouver Report vol.2...that would give you an idea of the costs of those venues...;)

https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll8

Not exactly, I'm affraid. There are no details about costs of building, only one big price for each big centre. Cost of freestyle and snowboarding park is "only" 16,7 million $, but it is not cost of building it, just improvment. What was improve? Almost everything or maybe just infrastructure (more parking slots or better capacity)? No idea. And let's not forget that in Vancouver there was 5 from 7 venues that we need today (there was no slopestyle and big air). I wanted to compare this sum with two most expensive venues, as I assumed - ski jumping hill and sliding track. Unfortunately couldn't find cost of hill because there was only cost of biathlon/cross-country/ski jumping/nordic combined centre, which is 119,7 million $ for building it (not improve). In turn whole sliding centre cost 104,9 million $, also build with whole infrastructure of course. Couldn't find any cost of building venues in Sochi and SLC documents (maybe I just don't know where to look ;) ) and don't speak Italian so couldn't check Torino so in this point my searching is over.

Summarizing. I think I am convinced that building freestyle/snowboarding centre is cheaper than sliding track or ski jumping hill but still not sure how big is the difference.

1 ora fa, Col_Frost ha scritto:

Not exactly, I'm affraid. There are no details about costs of building, only one big price for each big centre. Cost of freestyle and snowboarding park is "only" 16,7 million $, but it is not cost of building it, just improvment. What was improve? Almost everything or maybe just infrastructure (more parking slots or better capacity)? No idea. And let's not forget that in Vancouver there was 5 from 7 venues that we need today (there was no slopestyle and big air). I wanted to compare this sum with two most expensive venues, as I assumed - ski jumping hill and sliding track. Unfortunately couldn't find cost of hill because there was only cost of biathlon/cross-country/ski jumping/nordic combined centre, which is 119,7 million $ for building it (not improve). In turn whole sliding centre cost 104,9 million $, also build with whole infrastructure of course. Couldn't find any cost of building venues in Sochi and SLC documents (maybe I just don't know where to look ;) ) and don't speak Italian so couldn't check Torino so in this point my searching is over.

Summarizing. I think I am convinced that building freestyle/snowboarding centre is cheaper than sliding track or ski jumping hill but still not sure how big is the difference.

well, for freestyle and snowboard you don't need to build anything (only the temporary stands and the Tv rooms are needed)...you just have to "model" the snow on the track (which is normally the same for HP, SS and BA + another slope for Moguls and Aerials...and they're already there, otherwise you only have to throw some trees down to build it), there are no sticky concrete/iron structures, so it's obvious that those are cheap venues compared to jumping hills, sliding track (which is by far the most expensive structure for winter sports, also because of very haigh cost of maintenance during the whole year) and skating/hockey arenas...

p.s. all the official reports are in English, from the first to the last chapter...

• 2 weeks later...
5 ore fa, Gianlu33 ha scritto:

Logos of Milano/Cortina and Stockholm

IMG_20181128_074606_711.jpg

IMG_20181128_074603_075.jpg

I like Milano/Cortina logo...1 billion times better than Torino 2006, for instance...:whistle:

meanwhile Stockholm...well, the IKEA designers would have done better (and it's definitely NOT a compliment, for those who might think otherwise)...:facepalm:

Edited by phelps

3 hours ago, phelps said:

meanwhile Stockholm...well, the IKEA designers would have done better (and it's definitely NOT a compliment, for those who might think otherwise)...:facepalm:

The Klippan Logo, you only have to put it together with exactly not enough screws and you're ready to go :woohoo:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!