website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No worries, deleting sports that have been on the Olympic program for basically as long as possible and aren't known for widespread corruption is always great, fuck history :whistle: 

Thank you for understanding :p

Though real talk, should it come to it and the IOC is basically begging a city to host, which sports could potentially be on the chopping block as a cost saving measure? Ski Jumping/Nordic Combined? Sliding Sports? Freestyle Skiing/Snowboarding?

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Though real talk, should it come to it and the IOC is basically begging a city to host, which sports could potentially be on the chopping block as a cost saving measure? Ski Jumping/Nordic Combined? Sliding Sports? Freestyle Skiing/Snowboarding?

Slidings sports, absolutely. I mean, I'd be awfully sad and if the choice was entirely mine, freestyle skiing and freestyle snowboarding would be gone in 2,5 seconds, but not having to build a huge and expensive sliding centre is gonna save so much in costs as long as those scientists didn't figure out the plastic and modular sliding track yet.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Slidings sports, absolutely. I mean, I'd be awfully sad and if the choice was entirely mine, freestyle skiing and freestyle snowboarding would be gone in 2,5 seconds, but not having to build a huge and expensive sliding centre is gonna save so much in costs as long as those scientists didn't figure out the plastic and modular sliding track yet.

At least with luge they could eliminate artificial track and use natural track instead. Bobsled would be a screwed. I think that Nordic Combined would be next in line for being cut. The Freestyle events are to urban and youthful to be cut. Plus they cost less than most other events.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Realistically Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding are basically the last two sports to get cut, even behind a bunch of the traditional sports. They are cheap to hold, they are popular and they both share the unique distinction in winter sports of having multiple nations from four continents win medals (America, Europe, Asia and Oceania all have at least two medal winning NOC in both Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding). Freestyle Skiing is also the only winter discipline with gold medalists from four continents. With the possible exception of figure skating there are no more universal sports in the Winter Olympics.

Edited by NearPup

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

At least with luge they could eliminate artificial track and use natural track instead. Bobsled would be a screwed. I think that Nordic Combined would be next in line for being cut. The Freestyle events are to urban and youthful to be cut. Plus they cost less than most other events.

Nordic events needs no extra venue though, considering both ski jumping and cross-country skiing are already there anyway. In fact, it'd be basically the most stupid choice ever if one has to cut one sport :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, Nate River said:

Realistically Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding are basically the last two sports to get cut, even behind a bunch of the traditional sports. They are cheap to hold, they are popular and they both share the unique distinction in winter sports of having multiple nations from four continents win medals (America, Europe, Asia and Oceania all have at least two medal winning NOC in both Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding). With the possible exception of figure skating there are no more universal sports in the Winter Olympics.

True if you look at the number of continents, for now. I know cutting sliding sports is way more realistic, cutting freestyle events would simply be my personal choice as I said :p 

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nordic events needs no extra venue though, considering both ski jumping and cross-country skiing are already there anyway. In fact, it'd be basically the most stupid choice ever if one has to cut one sport :d 

Yeah, Nordic Combined stays as long as Ski Jumping stays, they two pretty much go hand in hand.

11 minut temu, Nate River napisał:

Realistically Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding are basically the last two sports to get cut, even behind a bunch of the traditional sports. They are cheap to hold, they are popular and they both share the unique distinction in winter sports of having multiple nations from four continents win medals (America, Europe, Asia and Oceania all have at least two medal winning NOC in both Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding). Freestyle Skiing is also the only winter discipline with gold medalists from four continents. With the possible exception of figure skating there are no more universal sports in the Winter Olympics.

I don't know about that cheap part. I honestly have no idea how costs of building venues for snowboarding and freestyle skiing looks like in compare with for example luge track, but I know that you have to build venues for: slopestyle, halfpipe, cross, big air, moguls, aerials and parallel slalom (well, maybe last thing can be the same venue as for slalom in alpine skiing, I don't know). Every single one of them is definetly cheaper than the hill for ski jumping but all together, I don't know.

By the way, it isn't so strange that so many countries are getting medals in this two events if they are practically six different events (slopestyle and halfpipe have a lot in common) ;) 

58 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

I don't know about that cheap part. I honestly have no idea how costs of building venues for snowboarding and freestyle skiing looks like in compare with for example luge track, but I know that you have to build venues for: slopestyle, halfpipe, cross, big air, moguls, aerials and parallel slalom (well, maybe last thing can be the same venue as for slalom in alpine skiing, I don't know). Every single one of them is definetly cheaper than the hill for ski jumping but all together, I don't know.

By the way, it isn't so strange that so many countries are getting medals in this two events if they are practically six different events (slopestyle and halfpipe have a lot in common) ;) 

Besides, snowboarding is definitely not the sport with the biggest potential for 5 continents to win a medal within 2 or 3 Winter Olympics :p 

55 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

I mean...

Moguls has gold medalists from four continents.

Aerials has gold medalists from four continents.

Snowboard half-pipe has medalists from four continents and gold medalists from three continents (Ayumu got robbed :( )

Ski half-pipe has medalists from four continents even though it’s only been contested at two Olympics.

Snowboard Big Air has medalists from three continents after having been contested at one Olympics.

It’s not just a matter of the sport as a whole bringing geographical diversity. There are multiple events in freestyle skiing and snowboarding where every continent other than Africa has medal potential.