website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Vancouver would be a no because Canada’s already denied hosting rights, so residents would be upset. Barcelona is a no because the public would not support it, and it’s whole political crisis with Spain. Lausanne is a no, unless the IOC pays the full cost of hosting the games.

Calgary did, not 'Canada', if I'm not mistaken.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Calgary did, not 'Canada', if I'm not mistaken.

Right, but look what happened in Switzerland this time around. It would be a political and financial gamble.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Canada is pretty big. I pretty much heard very little details on the local news other than a referendum was taking place while people in Calgary/Alberta were hit hard by the yes/no campaign.

Vancouver likely won't host it. We no longer have a track for speed skating and we would have to build an Olympic village (something that was a bit of a nightmare after 2010).

Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said if “private funding isn’t enough, we’ll make the final push” to cover the remaining costs.

https://apnews.com/3d08df3defcf4287af4f9cb57a32fca6

@Gianlu33 @AlFHg @Dunadan @phelps have you read more about this in the Italian news? 

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Canada is pretty big. I pretty much heard very little details on the local news other than a referendum was taking place while people in Calgary/Alberta were hit hard by the yes/no campaign.

Vancouver likely won't host it. We no longer have a track for speed skating and we would have to build an Olympic village (something that was a bit of a nightmare after 2010).

I would love for Vancouver to host it because it the best city I’ve every been to.  You could just renovate the Richmond Olympic Oval (which I visited). Plus Whistlers infrastructure has improved since the games (another place I visited)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

52 minuti fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said if “private funding isn’t enough, we’ll make the final push” to cover the remaining costs.

@Gianlu33 @AlFHg @Dunadan @phelps have you read more about this in the Italian news? 

Starting from the fact that I'm politically distant from the minister, or better, I'm politically opposite to the minister and to this government in general. It is difficult to trust this government, apart from the ideas they have towards Europe that are silly, to say the least. The fact is that this minister, that is the actual leader of the government, is in contrast with the other (supposed, but in practice inconsistent) leader of the government, who is totally against the olympics. And this contrast is exacerbated by the fact that a third city (Turin), whose goverment is of the same party of this second minister, has withdrawn from the bid. All this premise to say these two things: 1) not sure if this government will last to next summer (but even next spring), so probably they won't give any decision; 2) Italian politics is a mess and find something trustworthy is almost impossible, and this since the end of WWII.

However, my opinion is that in practice a way to have political and financial support from the government will be found, especially if Stockholm withdraws, officially or not. Also considering what happened in Veneto, that is where Cortina stays, this is a good chance to have external fundings to make that region on its track again. In theory.

Edited by AlFHg

46 minuti fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

yeah...but we still have to wait and see if by next year this government is still in charge...:lol::facepalm:

and trust me...from now to the next July (and after, if we really get the chance to host the Games) you'll hear everything and the opposite of that from our politicians...

any question is good to feed their propaganda...

however, the Olympic news never make the headlines...those are all focused on the fight vs the EU because of the balance law and on our internal political fights (today's one is on the law for the reconstruction's funding of the Genua bridge collapsed a few months ago)...

and the sports news are always only about football and F1/Valentino Rossi...

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would love for Vancouver to host it because it the best city I’ve every been to.  You could just renovate the Richmond Olympic Oval (which I visited). Plus Whistlers infrastructure has improved since the games (another place I visited)

That would be rightly, a waste of money. Any "no" campaign will use it as a rallying point.

We'd have to either host those events somewhere else or scrap (long track) speed skating altogether. (Sorry Netherlands)

1 hour ago, wumo26 said:

Not about what Salvini said, but the article also mentions the dispute between the government and CONI, which is heating up: the CONI president (who is also a newly elected IOC member) was furious today https://www.ansa.it/english/news/sports/2018/11/15/malago-blasts-govts-coni-reform_50e37f2c-cead-4e09-ad48-839e22d741c5.html ... this conflict is quite dangerous for the bid.

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That would be rightly, a waste of money. Any "no" campaign will use it as a rallying point.

We'd have to either host those events somewhere else or scrap (long track) speed skating altogether. (Sorry Netherlands)

No worries, deleting sports that have been on the Olympic program for basically as long as possible and aren't known for widespread corruption is always great, fuck history :whistle: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!