website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Still, I'm sure Innsbruck for example has everything in place, having hosted both YOG and Olympics proper recently. Why then push for some "Graz" nonsense over that?

Well yeah, I would have 100% preferred Innsbruck over Graz, don't get me wrong :p 

Innsbruck :wub:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Graz has officially withdrawn from the race, article here

hqdefault.jpg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Am 5.7.2018 um 11:26 schrieb dcro:

Still, I'm sure Innsbruck for example has everything in place, having hosted both YOG and Olympics proper recently. Why then push for some "Graz" nonsense over that?

They wanted to make it in Innsbruck but they had a referendum where as everywhere the people were against the olympics. The Graz option was really only the last hope of the ÖOC knowing the chance to get these olympics was huge.

And also to be honest, I'm not surprised about the outcome of the Graz bid at all. It was doomed before it even went official. Innsbruck is in a winter sport crazy region perfectly located and able to organize olympics without big costs, while Graz would have had to build a lot more and is quite far away from the actual winter sport regions. From the first moment onwards it has always been clear that neither the country Styria nor the state Austria wanted these olympic games, that the city would have to organize the Olympics on it's own only with help from the towns where some of the events would have taken place. It was a complete mess that only could have worked without a referendum (as it was planned) but half the population of Graz would have protested if they had actually decided something that important without a referendum. 

The problem is that because of huge olympic games like Sochi and the bad economic news surrounding those games nobody wants to host olympics anymore. And that's stupid. I mean of course I want olympics in Austria, I'm an Austrian winter sport fan after all, but putting that aside, the costs for Olympic games where no new venues would have to be constructed would be tiny compared to what happened in Sochi. IIrc there was even a study that showed Innsbruck would earn as much money with olympic games than they would have to invest without including the marketing value. I mean just think about that, basically hourlong advertisements shown in the whole world over two weeks and you don't have to pay for it. This development just makes me angry and I already fear the 3rd eastern Asian olympic games in a row where I'll have to stand up at 2 am in the morning. 

16 minutes ago, Gigs said:

I mean just think about that, basically hourlong advertisements shown in the whole world over two weeks and you don't have to pay for it.

Yep, the opposite of for example Pyeongchang. I don't remember seeing anything of the city, and I've watched basically everything. Now imagine Olympic ski jumping at the Bergisel towering over Innsbruck :yikes: fapfap.gif

• 4 weeks later...