website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

20 minuti fa, Dragon ha scritto:

well, Cortina should be named "Dolomite region"...however, they have the least chances to be chosen because of the very, very low budget (around 380 million € only) and of the very wide spreading of venues (among others, Hockey in Bozen/Bolzano, Figure Skating and Short Track in Meran, which is a small village and has a very small arena and old style that I don't think has room to be temporarily enlarged for the games :mumble:Biathlon in Antholz/Anterselva and Nordic disciplines in the existing facilities of Predazzo -Jumping Hills- and Tesero Lake -Cross Country skiing...the only good thing would be the renaissance of the legendary sliding sports track)...

Turin would be more or less a remake of 2006...basically all the projected venues in fact are the same of 12 years ago (revamping of the Cesana track included), the only new structure would be the Olympic Village...

Milan (which is the preferred choice of our NOC and the only candidature with at least a small chance to succed, but we have to see what our government thinks about it, since they're in charge also in the Turin local administration, meanwhile Milan has another political lead at the moment...and for what it counts, it will never go to the 5 Star Movement :whistle:) would see the sliding sports and Ski Jumping/Nordic Combined events in Switzerland (Sankt Moritz, it's official...they already signed a letter of intent for that), the ice sports in town (as the ceremonies, in San Siro Stadium) and the Alpine Sports and Cross Country Skiing in Valtellina: Bormio, Santa Caterina, Livigno and maybe 1 or 2 more villages (which could be a problem for transports, even if from now to 2026 many things could change)...

personally...despite being Italian and a proud citizen of Milan, I hope Stockholm would save us from this tragedy (both a sports and an economical tragedy)...:yikes::rofl::facepalm::cry:

Edited by phelps

I'm hoping for Cortina, only because of parts of the Olympics being in Süd-Tirol then which would be so cool :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

I don't see what we're gaining with events organized all over Austria...

The Olympics being held in a pure wintersports nation. 

They're not my favourites for 2026 by the way, but I'm getting tired of this "it's all too expensive" crying. 

Just now, heywoodu said:

The Olympics being held in a pure wintersports nation. 

They're not my favourites for 2026 by the way, but I'm getting tired of this "it's all too expensive" crying. 

Even so, I would rather have it in Bolivia if it would mean having everything at the same or almost same place. Imagine going to the Olympics as a spectator only to have different sports separated by hundreds of kilometers. What's the point of that? That's not Olympics anymore, that's World Championships.

Such an irony that not so long ago having everything as close as possible was the thing that every bid strived for. And now all of a sudden it's the complete opposite.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Even so, I would rather have it in Bolivia if it would mean having everything at the same or almost same place. Imagine going to the Olympics as a spectator only to have different sports separated by hundreds of kilometers. What's the point of that? That's not Olympics anymore, that's World Championships.

Such an irony that not so long ago having everything as close as possible was the thing that every bid strived for. And now all of a sudden it's the complete opposite.

The need to have everything as close together as possible is a large part of what makes it so expensive. When you accept bigger distances, you can much more easily use facilities that already exist and 'only' need some freshening up instead of being built from scratch. Besides, these big distances being a problem depends on the infrastructure. If it's relatively uncomplicated to get from place A to place B by public transport in a couple of hours, I don't see a big problem.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The need to have everything as close together as possible is a large part of what makes it so expensive. When you accept bigger distances, you can much more easily use facilities that already exist and 'only' need some freshening up instead of being built from scratch. Besides, these big distances being a problem depends on the infrastructure. If it's relatively uncomplicated to get from place A to place B by public transport in a couple of hours, I don't see a big problem.

Still, I'm sure Innsbruck for example has everything in place, having hosted both YOG and Olympics proper recently. Why then push for some "Graz" nonsense over that?

#banbestmen