website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

3 minutes ago, Swewi said:

What do you think about the swedish chances? Should be good since we have never had a winter olympics and are one of the top winter nations, and we have many successfull organized wintersport championships in the past.

Didn't Sweden already say "nope" and pull out last time? That doesn't sound promising :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Didn't Sweden already say "nope" and pull out last time? That doesn't sound promising :p 

Much more serious plans this time I think and I think people and politicians will be more positive now when IOC has changed the rules so we could have the bobsleigh/luge/skeleton in Latvia or somewhere (of course not the best solution), and that IOC will contrbute with more money. :mumble:

il y a 17 minutes, Swewi a déclaré:

What do you think about the swedish chances? Should be good since we have never had a winter olympics and are one of the top winter nations, and we have many successfull organized wintersport championships in the past.

I'd say that if any (western) european city makes it to the final candidate stage, they will have it in the bag. The thing is, I don't believe anymore that a western european bid will survive so far (Sion was my best hope).

32 minuti fa, Swewi ha scritto:

I haven't idea.. but if Italy will whitdraw i will hope for a norther european bid :fingers:

1 hour ago, Swewi said:

I hope Sweden wins, its my personal fave!

Traditional (and new) Winter Olympic host. Can't beat that!

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I'd say that if any (western) european city makes it to the final candidate stage, they will have it in the bag. The thing is, I don't believe anymore that a western european bid will survive so far (Sion was my best hope).

Sion had the best bid IMO, it’s a real shame to see them withdraw.

At this rate whichever bid from either Calgary or Western Europe remains standing will just win by default.

Edited by NearPup

il y a 3 minutes, Nate River a déclaré:

Sion had the best bid IMO, it’s a real shame to see them withdraw.

Yes, it had (except for the speed skating thing). I don't believe Switzerland could had a better bid tbh. It's more that possible that we will never see a swiss bid ever again...

5 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Yes, it had (except for the speed skating thing). I don't believe Switzerland could had a better bid tbh. It's more that possible that we will never see a swiss bid ever again...

Considering the future is really a very, very long time...I'm not going as far as to say 'never' :p 

Although I think a South American bid might come sooner than another Swiss one.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

All the bids we have have glaring flaws, even Calgary currently plans to hold ski jumping and nordic combined in Whistler along with some ice events in Edmonton. At least Sion had excelent venues for most sports, and while St Moritz was out of the way it has *the* venue for sliding sports.