website statistics

Synchronized Swimming 2016 Discussion Thread

dcro

Does anyone know how Russia came to dominate this sport? From its debut in 1984, it was basically the USA and Canada, with Japan usually in third. The last time all three countries made the podium at the Olympics was 1996, when it was just the team event. Then all of a sudden, Russia just came out of nowhere and have refused to let go - and it's like FINA doesn't want to let go of them either. The USA, Canada, and Japan don't even matter anymore in the sport. What the hell happened? 

25 minutes ago, AlexDSSF said:

Does anyone know how Russia came to dominate this sport? From its debut in 1984, it was basically the USA and Canada, with Japan usually in third. The last time all three countries made the podium at the Olympics was 1996, when it was just the team event. Then all of a sudden, Russia just came out of nowhere and have refused to let go - and it's like FINA doesn't want to let go of them either. The USA, Canada, and Japan don't even matter anymore in the sport. What the hell happened? 

Maybe they saw that it's not a very big and popular sport worldwide, so they saw it as a likely sport where financial investments would lead to domination? :p 

I don't know, it's merely a suggestion, but not one that sounds totally unreasonable I guess? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Maybe they saw that it's not a very big and popular sport worldwide, so they saw it as a likely sport where financial investments would lead to domination? :p 

I don't know, it's merely a suggestion, but not one that sounds totally unreasonable I guess? 

Do you think it deserves to be an Olympic sport?

33 минуты назад, AlexDSSF сказал:

Because

1. there were coaches like Tatyana Pokrovskaya and Irina Viner (rhythmiс gymnastics), who created the system of training. from young children to adult teams

2. These sports (and figure skating) are very popular with russian's mothers who give little girls in school sports

3. And the most important! Russian synchronized swimmers and gymnasts train for 8-10 (!!!) hours. Everyday!

3 minutes ago, FC Mezhgorye said:

Because

1. there were coaches like Tatyana Pokrovskaya and Irina Viner (rhythmiс gymnastics), who created the system of training. from young children to adult teams

2. These sports (and figure skating) are very popular with russian's mothers who give little girls in school sports

3. And the most important! Russian synchronized swimmers and gymnasts train for 8-10 (!!!) hours. Everyday!

Especially the 1st one seems like something that could actually change something so much.

The third one...I think that's not very different for most other nations :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 минуту назад, heywoodu сказал:

Especially the 1st one seems like something that could actually change something so much.

The third one...I think that's not very different for most other nations :p 

No :d only maybe in China. 10 hours under water is really very-very hard. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QX-u5XsCA USA training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzAizCk0jM Russia training

It's very big difference