website statistics

Women's Football FIFA World Cup 2019

Mkbw50

31 minutes ago, bestmen said:

I dont know how could you be worried about these quotas while the WC of football is much more important than OG 

The Olympics are close to as important as the World Cup in the women’s game, if not as important.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Im so tired of everything being Euro-centric.

Funny to hear something like that from an american ... considering that for the last couple of games the schedule was designed 100 % in favor of american spectators and athletes.

I also don't understand how euro-centric is supposed to be bad in this context. The event should be euro-centric because Europe just is miles ahead of every other continent.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Australia isn't part of Oceania in football. 

Ok, then Asia should get 2 spots so that always 2 out of Japan/China/Australia can qualify.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Poor Africa.

By the way:

This is by far the fairest solution.

How exactly is this the fairest solution? Why should continents with far less countries and overall far less strength be guaranteed the same number of quotas as Europe?

I think the fairest solution would clearly be to have a world-cup in the round-robin format where the top 12 teams qualify, but of course that will never happen. FIFA could create something like a continental coefficient where the results of the last 3 world cups for example count and which determines the number of quota places each continent gets.

34 minutes ago, bestmen said:

no one will watch the matches of women's football in Tokyo instead athletics swimming or cycling 

did you in rio ? 

You realize that ...

a) Swimming finals will be in the morning

b) It is possible to watch multiple events at the same time/delayed

c) Some european nations like Norway or Sweden are almost non-existant in swimming/athletics so they can focus on football?

3 minutes ago, bestmen said:

20 players of football will win 1 poor medal in their best result in 2 weeks ,while 1 swimmer could win 10 medals in few days 

that's why the sports of teams are less interresting during the OG 

1) Which swimmer could win 10 medals?

2) Maybe by this logic team sports are less interesting concerning the medal table, but there are people that prefer to watch sports based on personal interest and not based on how important a sport is for the medal table. Personally i prefer watching handball or basektaball instead of sprint canoeing, although Germany always wins tons of medals there. I also dont think that anyone would say that canoeing is more interesting than basektball, handball or volleyball.

hace 2 minutos, OlympicsFan dijo:

How exactly is this the fairest solution? Why should continents with far less countries and overall far less strength be guaranteed the same number of quotas as Europe?

I think the fairest solution would clearly be to have a world-cup in the round-robin format where the top 12 teams qualify, but of course that will never happen. FIFA could create something like a continental coefficient where the results of the last 3 world cups for example count and which determines the number of quota places each continent gets.

It's a matter of choice of values at the end. You want a 100% meritocratic approach while IOC and IFs have a criteria of balance between merit and continental representation. "Fair" means a different thing according to different values. Only the new sports (which have so few quotas) can't observe full continental representation and are the exception to this IOC criteria.