website statistics

Women's Football FIFA World Cup 2019

Mkbw50

41 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

How exactly is this the fairest solution? Why should continents with far less countries and overall far less strength be guaranteed the same number of quotas as Europe?

I think the fairest solution would clearly be to have a world-cup in the round-robin format where the top 12 teams qualify, but of course that will never happen. FIFA could create something like a continental coefficient where the results of the last 3 world cups for example count and which determines the number of quota places each continent gets.

It perfectly balances the need for continental representation (something the IOC requires) and the best teams. If you are the seventh best team (or 8th if your continent gets a host quota) in your continent then you probably have the same chance at winning a medal as the best team from a weak continent.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

How exactly is this the fairest solution? Why should continents with far less countries and overall far less strength be guaranteed the same number of quotas as Europe?

I think the fairest solution would clearly be to have a world-cup in the round-robin format where the top 12 teams qualify, but of course that will never happen. FIFA could create something like a continental coefficient where the results of the last 3 world cups for example count and which determines the number of quota places each continent gets.

Mikaela Shiffrin said something like this: "Olympics are for fans, World Championships are for athletes". You can't fight the IOC policy, some of the best athletes/teams in the world will always miss the Olynpics due to the nations quota or limited team events pool. That's how it works. Look at the Olympics wild card thread, none of the traditional multi-medal countries have been awarded a single one while powerhouses like Bolivia, Nepal or Marshal Islands have been awarded multiple ones.

3 hours ago, ofan said:

So if :USA win on Friday, the two semifinals on Saturday will essentially be "Olympic qualification championship matches" with the winners qualifying for the Olympics, alongside the winner of the :NOR - :ENG match. 

If USA wins every other semi-finalist will be European hence the UEFA Olympic quota will be set. It's been previously announced Great Britain will field a women's team in Tokyo if England becomes of the three best UEFA teams at this World Cup. If USA loses, the bronze medal match will be also an Olympic decider.

7 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

No, if the United States win then the European quarterfinal winners will qualify to the Olympics

That's what I said, but I accidentally said semifinal instead of quarterfinal. 

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

If USA wins every other semi-finalist will be European hence the UEFA Olympic quota will be set. It's been previously announced Great Britain will field a women's team in Tokyo if England becomes of the three best UEFA teams at this World Cup. If USA loses, the bronze medal match will be also an Olympic decider.

I meant to say Quarterfinal, not Semifinal