website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Ok, summing up the fight for african and asian quotas....

Africa

Tunisia can qualify if a) they beat Angola and Nigeria loses to China OR b) in the case they both win or both lose, if they can have a better result than Nigeria to cut the big point difference between them  (NGR +41, TUN -11). 

If neither thing happens, Nigeria will qualify.

Asia 

Iran can qualify only if they beat Philippines and China loses to Nigeria AND they cut the PD with China (CHN +3, IRI -13 currently). For example, if China loses by 1, Iran has to win by 15.

If one of the two doesn't happen, China will qualify.

This is obviously a much better way to decide continental quotas than just getting China and Iran or Nigeria and Tunisia to play against each other.

Justo ahora, NearPup dijo:

This is obviously a much better way to decide continental quotas than just getting China and Iran or Nigeria and Tunisia to play against each other.

It's funny how they avoided each other even in this round.

And it could be the same with Argentina and Brazil in QF if one finishes 1st and the other 2nd in their pools.

29 minutes ago, LDOG said:

It's funny how they avoided each other even in this round.

And it could be the same with Argentina and Brazil in QF if one finishes 1st and the other 2nd in their pools.

I hated this qualification system when I saw it on paper and I continue to hate it as I see it in action. Oh and let me say, preemptively, that I hate how the OQTs are set up, too.

The whole thing is just unfair and too luck dependent.

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Ok, summing up the fight for african and asian quotas....

Africa

Tunisia can qualify if a) they beat Angola and Nigeria loses to China OR b) in the case they both win or both lose, if they can have a better result than Nigeria to cut the big point difference between them  (NGR +41, TUN -11). 

If neither thing happens, Nigeria will qualify.

Asia 

Iran can qualify only if they beat Philippines and China loses to Nigeria AND they cut the PD with China (CHN +3, IRI -13 currently). For example, if China loses by 1, Iran has to win by 15.

If one of the two doesn't happen, China will qualify.

There are some other minor possibilities to consider because the first tie breaker is rank in the group

if Tunisia loses to Angola with 7-14 margin, Iran will be (at best) 3rd in the group. that will leave no chance for Iran.

Tunisia can lose and still qualify, if they lose by 10 or less they still will win the group (if Iran also beats PHI)

Angola is still alive too, if they win by 11 or more. they will win the group (or if they just win and Iran loses) in both cases for Tunisia and Angola they need China to beat Nigeria .

the other group with CHN-NGR is less complicated, the winner will win the group. if Nigeria lose they will be eliminated for sure because after all an African team (Angola or Tunisia) will win Group N.

So, it should be Serbia vs Poland and Argentina vs Spain in quarters. But who knows, maybe we see some surprise. Greece vs USA tomorrows match not only important for Greece, but for this side of bracket too, because of semifinals matchups. 

Italy was very close today but after they got the lead by 4 and Scariolo timeout, they dissapeared. Spain upgraded their defense in those moments but really Italy didn't have any solution offensively. Probably when nothing would come out from sets, they should've just give ball to Gallo not Bellineli. 

Just now, nenad said:

So, it should be Serbia vs Poland and Argentina vs Spain in quarters. But who knows, maybe we see some surprise. Greece vs USA tomorrows match not only important for Greece, but for this side of bracket too, because of semifinals matchups. 

Italy was very close today but after they got the lead by 4 and Scariolo timeout, they dissapeared. Spain upgraded their defense in those moments but really Italy didn't have any solution offensively. Probably when nothing would come out from sets, they should've just give ball to Gallo not Bellineli. 

when you don't have enough offensive talent, you can't win close matches (especially when the opponent is stronger on paper -and not only on paper)...

Italy did a lot better than expected, though...with this team, I did really expect them to lose by 50 against SRB and by 30+ against ESP...

6 hours ago, Benolympique said:

I hope it will be France who qualifies at this World Cup

I think Serbia and Spain are safe in the semifinal, so you will probably have to make the semifinal too. If you beat Australia, then you will probably have to beat Greece in the quarterfinal (which seems doable), but if you lose against Australia, you will probably have to beat the US, so i would say the easiest way to make the semifinal for you would be to beat Australia and Greece and then Spain in the 3rd place match, which seems like a really difficult path. I would favor Spain to get the 2nd ticket behind Serbia thanks to the ridiculous draw.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Dont forget Slovenia. They are good team, when Doncic,Dragic and Randolf play, they are even great. 

Dragic is done and they don't have much depth + they would first have to get a wildcard and Latvia, Croatia and maybe Germany (if they don't qualify here) will also want one. Greece, France and Lithuania are the 3rd, 4th and 5th best teams in europe in my opinion and then we have a lot of nations that could get the 4th ticket (if europe even will be able to win 4 tickets at the world qualifier).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, bestmen said:

I thought that Spain will destroy Italy 

The difference is very small ,This is match of football not basket 

Spain isn't as good as they used to be. The spanish team in 2008 and 2012 might have been the best european team ever, but they got old. I hope that one day France will reach the same level. They easily have the 2nd best talent pool in the world behind the US, but they often don't play as a team.