website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

Just now, Dunadan said:

Lol at the Northern Americans...we don't care so the tournament is not worthy, it should be cancelled and replaced by the NBA Summer League Special Edition.

And Canada has never shown to be a major player in international basketball...they could have done it this time but if they don't care the World Cup will be fine without their supposed top team.

Agree, it is ultra embarrassing, they are acting as if Canada would have been a lock for a medal despite never having done anything important at senior level ...

Serbia will be with their best teams, Germany, Turkey and Greece too and as far as i know the same will be true for Lithuania, France and maybe Spain. I think of the top 10 teams in the world only USA and Canada will miss multiple top players while Australia will only miss one players as far as i know. USA will still win gold probably and Serbia, Greece and France will be the favorites for the other 2 medals. The only nation that will really suffer due to the absence of one of their best players will be Australia in my opinion, with Simmons they would have been one of the favorites for a medal too. Canada never would have been a favorite for a medal and the same is true for all other nations.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, dareza said:

Germany probably will be youngest team. Only one player is 30+ (captain Benzing).

If he won't be cut ... which sadly won't happen ...

My roster of 12 would have been:

Schröder (25, Oklahoma City Thunder)

Lo (26, Bayern Munich)

Bonga (19, Washington Wizards)

Zipser (25, Bayern Munich)

Giffey (28, Alba Berlin)

Theis (26, Boston Celtics)

Barthel (27, Bayern Munich)

Kleber (27, Dallas Mavericks)

Wagner (22, Washington Wizards)

Thiemann (25, Alba Berlin)

Voigtmann (26, CSKA Moscow)

Hartenstein (21, Houston Rockets)

Then the oldest player would have been Giffey with 28 and the average age would have been 24.75

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Why? USA is missing tons of players but apart from that most of the best players are here except for Simmons. It's not as if Canada has any stars, even with everyone participating Canada would have been an outsider for a medal considering that no canadian player even remotely has the quality of Giannis or Jokic.

This is a stupid post. If Canada had their entire roster, they would have been the deepest team in the tournament outside of the US, and a top contender for a medal. Greece and Serbia are nothing compared to the full top Canadian roster (and the roster of most teams for that matter) if you go beyond Jokic and Giannis. 

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Agree, it is ultra embarrassing, they are acting as if Canada would have been a lock for a medal despite never having done anything important at senior level ...

Serbia will be with their best teams, Germany, Turkey and Greece too and as far as i know the same will be true for Lithuania, France and maybe Spain. I think of the top 10 teams in the world only USA and Canada will miss multiple top players while Australia will only miss one players as far as i know. USA will still win gold probably and Serbia, Greece and France will be the favorites for the other 2 medals. The only nation that will really suffer due to the absence of one of their best players will be Australia in my opinion, with Simmons they would have been one of the favorites for a medal too. Canada never would have been a favorite for a medal and the same is true for all other nations.

:lol: Canada has never done anything at a senior level because none of our players will commit to playing. 

Please let me know how how a team made entirely of NBA players, including Jamal Murray and the 3rd pick in this year's draft would not have been a favourite for a medal against mostly EuroLeague teams with one NBA star on their roster :d 

hace 2 horas, ofan dijo:

:lol: Canada has never done anything at a senior level because none of our players will commit to playing. 

Please let me know how how a team made entirely of NBA players, including Jamal Murray and the 3rd pick in this year's draft would not have been a favourite for a medal against mostly EuroLeague teams with one NBA star on their roster :d 

Being an NBA player doesn't automatically make you better than any euroleague player, especially not in 2019. This is not the 90s.

Also, it's way easier for a canadian to become an NBA player than it is for any european, asian, latinamerican or african player because generally it's easier for a canadian to attend an american college.

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This gave me the hardest laugh of the day :d 

Even my arms were less salty after two hours of hard cycling in the sun today.

Yes, this was a dumb thing to post. I was enraged and frustrated, and should not have said it. 

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Being an NBA player doesn't automatically make you better than any euroleague player, especially not in 2019. This is not the 90s.

Also, it's way easier for a canadian to become an NBA player than it is for any european, asian, latinamerican or african player because generally it's easier for a canadian to attend an american college.

I didn't mean that. But a "best of the best" Canadian starting 5, and a few bench players, would certainly be stronger than the majority of EuroLeague players. 

I also see the point you're making about American colleges - but NBA teams have massive scouting operations. If a foreign-born player playing in Europe is worthy of making it to the NBA, he will get drafted, or at least invited to come and workout with a team. In that sense, top foreign players have just as strong a chance of making the NBA as top Canadians do.