website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

14 hours ago, George_D said:

Damn, that is a big blow. However, I am kind of excited to see if Brandon Clarke can now make the team, coming off of his NBA Summer League MVP performance. :clap:

Αnthony Davies, James Harden and today Eric Gordon are out for USA.

@ofan i think andrew wiggins and at least tristan thompson should have a 2nd thought about their participation. Its a big chance for Canada even for the gold medal. When they will have such a chance again even for their personal career?

5 hours ago, George_D said:

Αnthony Davies, James Harden and today Eric Gordon are out for USA.

@ofan i think andrew wiggins and at least tristan thompson should have a 2nd thought about their participation. Its a big chance for Canada even for the gold medal. When they will have such a chance again even for their personal career?

I don't think this is the best the Canadian team can be - Murray and Barrett in their prime should be quite a team. But yes, if Wiggins does not improve, his chances of making the team grow slimmer. Thompson benefits from the fact that we have fewer centers. 

They'll probably want to play next year if Canada makes the Olympics, because the reality is that not a single NBA player from Canada or the US give a shit about the World Cup. An Olympic medal is a different story. 

Edited by ofan

19 hours ago, ofan said:

I don't think this is the best the Canadian team can be - Murray and Barrett in their prime should be quite a team. But yes, if Wiggins does not improve, his chances of making the team grow slimmer. Thompson benefits from the fact that we have fewer centers. 

They'll probably want to play next year if Canada makes the Olympics, because the reality is that not a single NBA player from Canada or the US give a shit about the World Cup. An Olympic medal is a different story. 

Your last sentence it's also a personal conclusion of mine. I have concluded that USA give biggest priority on Olympics rather than on world championships 

From the other hand FIBA changed their calendar and set even continental championships every 4 years in order to give more importance to the world championship. I remind that in their justification FIBA made a comparison with fifa world cup and said that they wanted their world championship (world cup now) to become of the same value for basketball, the most important international basketball competition

1 hour ago, George_D said:

Your last sentence it's also a personal conclusion of mine. I have concluded that USA give biggest priority on Olympics rather than on world championships 

From the other hand FIBA changed their calendar and set even continental championships every 4 years in order to give more importance to the world championship. I remind that in their justification FIBA made a comparison with fifa world cup and said that they wanted their world championship (world cup now) to become of the same value for basketball, the most important international basketball competition

Yeah, that seems to be their intention. However, they'll never be able to replicate the FIFA qualification system effectively, like they tried to do for this World Cup. The qualification games are played during the NBA season, and the NBA will never give a "break" for NBA players to play in these games due to a lack of interest. So we often end up seeing "C" squads qualifying the American team, but not actually getting to play in the tournament itself. It's a flawed system.

Wiggins has never played for Canada if I recall correctly. I highly doubt that he will ever play. 

In the meantime, I couldn't catch up with the US players withdrawing. Lillard has withdrawn, now they really don't have a superstar on the team. Kemba Walker will play, Middleton will play, they are all star caliber players, they had to invite more names like Smart, Brown etc. To go along some of these players that haven't withdrawn yet like Tatum, Kuzma, Lopez, Drummond. Derozan is out too, i forgot about him. And he's been coached by Popovich in the NBA, that's a surprise. 

And there's still 2 weeks till the training camp starts. And of course there's a possibility someone gets injured. Very weak team in comparison with others from 2006 till now. 

Edited by nenad