website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

If both Australia and Canada compete with their best possible teams, then they should be favorites ahead of Lithuania. Canada (Barrett, Murry, Wiggins) and Australia (Simmons, Baynes, Ingles) have both more individual quality. I think Brazil also has more individual quality than New Zealand, but their team has gotten old, lets see if all of their best players will compete. I think group F is the most interesting overall. Montenegro, Brazil and New Zealand all could finish second in that group. In group G Germany and France are favorites, but you cant underestimate Puerto Rico, they have 2 great NBA players in Towns and Horford.

I think semifinals will be:

Spain or Italy vs. USA

Serbia vs. Greece/Lithuania/France/Canada/Australia/Germany/Turkey

Should be a crazy fight between Greece/Lithuania/France/Canada/Australia/Germany/Turkey to avoid USA in the quarterfinal.

I don't know if Towns ever played for PR and I doubt Horford will play at this age but who knows. Also for example it's highly unlikely that Barrett will play for Canada, he would be rookie in the next season in the NBA and there aren't a lot of examples of players playing for natl team in that situation. Wiggins also haven't been active for them in the past but given that his under a lot of criticism in Minnesota, and they have a bad season he could play potentialy. Simmons will be a big addition for AUS if he plays, with and without him I think is a difference for a medal. 

hace 3 minutos, phelps dijo:

actually KAT and Horford are eligible to play for the :DOM Dominican Republic, not Puerto Rico...:evil::p

KAT did play for them (only) when he was 16/17...Horford, I have no idea if he ever did it...

I clearly remember Horford playing the final OQT for London 2012. 

I googled about both today and found some article saying that federation is in talks with both. I think it's 50/50 for them to play or not.

6 godzin temu, MHSN napisał:

:d I know but they are "happier" for Poland and Venezuela it's just about having more chance for going to the 2nd round but for China it's also about the Olympic qualification.

by looking at other Asian teams groups. I can say there is no chance for Jordan and Korea. in Group D Philippines  sometimes get hot and shoot the ball like crazy but I think Serbia and Italy are too much for them. I think Iran is the only Asian team with the realistic chance of advancing and even that is a very slim chance. so China only have to go to the 2nd round to qualify for the Olympics.

1) To the 2nd round but also to the OQT ;) 

2) You're right. But you never know with Italy, Turkey and Czech Republic. You can expect anything from these teams. Of course they'll be favorites in matches with Philippines and Japan, but I won't be suprised if one of them lose points. But maybe I underestimate European teams or overvalue Asian ;) 

5 hours ago, phelps said:

actually KAT and Horford are eligible to play for the :DOM Dominican Republic, not Puerto Rico...:evil::p

KAT did play for them (only) when he was 16/17...Horford, I have no idea if he ever did it...

I see, we have a Slovenia/Slovakia situation here. I looked it up here https://basketball.realgm.com/national/teams/19/Dominican-Republic/nba_players and still got it wrong ... :wacko:

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, nenad said:

I don't know if Towns ever played for PR and I doubt Horford will play at this age but who knows. Also for example it's highly unlikely that Barrett will play for Canada, he would be rookie in the next season in the NBA and there aren't a lot of examples of players playing for natl team in that situation. Wiggins also haven't been active for them in the past but given that his under a lot of criticism in Minnesota, and they have a bad season he could play potentialy. Simmons will be a big addition for AUS if he plays, with and without him I think is a difference for a medal. 

I think Davis played for the US in 2012? Barrett would definitely be a good addition to their team. Even without him and Wiggins they still have Murray, SGA, Lyles, Olynyk, Thompson. They are probably the second most athletic team only behind the US. Not sure if Australia is good enough to win a medal. Baynes, Exum, Maker or Ingles are nice players, but none of them really makes a difference at this level. On the other hand guys like Ingles or Broekhoff give them spacing, which is exactly what Simmons needs. With Broekhoff and Simmons they also will be great at defending their opponents bigmen. I think Giannis wont have a much weaker supporting cast and he is quite clearly a better player than Simmons, so if you would consider Australia a medal contender, you have to say the same about Greece. Serbia probably has a better supporting cast than those 2 + Jokic is better than any spanish/french player, so Serbia should be favorite for silver. Bronze should be between Greece (if Giannis plays), France, Spain and Australia (if Simmons plays).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, Col_Frost said:

1) To the 2nd round but also to the OQT ;) 

2) You're right. But you never know with Italy, Turkey and Czech Republic. You can expect anything from these teams. Of course they'll be favorites in matches with Philippines and Japan, but I won't be suprised if one of them lose points. But maybe I underestimate European teams or overvalue Asian ;) 

oh yeah I totally forgot that. mostly because simply we don't care about OQT as we know our only chance is to qualify at the World Cup. :d

I wish the best of luck for Japan to beat Turkey. they are the Olympic host and won't be counted in this case. the Asian Olympic spot will be between China, Iran, Korea. Philippines and Jordan.

On 17/03/2019 at 01:45, OlympicsFan said:

I think Davis played for the US in 2012? Barrett would definitely be a good addition to their team. Even without him and Wiggins they still have Murray, SGA, Lyles, Olynyk, Thompson. They are probably the second most athletic team only behind the US. Not sure if Australia is good enough to win a medal. Baynes, Exum, Maker or Ingles are nice players, but none of them really makes a difference at this level. On the other hand guys like Ingles or Broekhoff give them spacing, which is exactly what Simmons needs. With Broekhoff and Simmons they also will be great at defending their opponents bigmen. I think Giannis wont have a much weaker supporting cast and he is quite clearly a better player than Simmons, so if you would consider Australia a medal contender, you have to say the same about Greece. Serbia probably has a better supporting cast than those 2 + Jokic is better than any spanish/french player, so Serbia should be favorite for silver. Bronze should be between Greece (if Giannis plays), France, Spain and Australia (if Simmons plays).

I totaly confused DR and PR as well and I remember Horford playing. Davis is a different situation. He went as a 12th man to learn, he didn't play much, it was just great experience for him to be with all those other guys. And Olympics is something else, level up on WC, at least how NBA people regard it. I think and it was the case in the last Olympics that much stronger team went to the Olympics in USA than in WC, but this year WC is one year away from the Olympics, so it might change a little. For Barrett he would be one of more important players in Canada, so I don't know. My bet is he doesn't play but we'll see. 

Well, yeah Greeks are contenders for sure. I hate to give up on Spain but I think they are behind Serbia, France and Greece atm. For Giannis and Simmons lack of shooting will be a problem cause in intl game it's a bigger issue than in NBA because of defense rules being different. Teams will clog the paint and let other beat them. But still, MVP of the season probably and the leap he's made, I mean, I wouldn't want to play against them. 

And we'll see about Jokić. I really hope he plays, but it's far from certain. He's a strange guy to be honest but someone who should carry the team in the next decade. However when guy behaves like insulted child I don't know.

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/news/harden-eager-for-return-to-usa-squad-at-world-cup-in-china?fbclid=IwAR2PhO65wj-QxQprqtIaitVfH479mJHhmiw2i5jiiE0Qk2uwr0FDreb7ZnQ

It looks like we'll have 2018 and soon 2019 maybe NBA MVP James Harden in the next WC :cheer:

Edited by thepharoah