website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

4 hours ago, nenad said:

@MHSN

Great post. But have to disagree about qual format. We already are without Slovenia, which is European champions. To not have European champions at the very first next World Cup, it's a travesty, in any sport, team, individual, I don't care. Also, Croatia is basicaly out as well. Croatia would be better team in China than for example Poland which will qualify. Not to offend Polish posters here but it's true. And even, we, Serbia would have a hard time qualifying if there weren't good results for us in other matches that benefited us. So, it's really a shame. Some say it's a good idea just badly executed, but who cares for idea when it doesn't give you a good results. 

Also I think not to offend you as well, is maybe you aren't used to watching high quality basketball 24/7 like many basketball fans, so this is good for you. Beleive me, it's like watching premier league and then watching serbian superleague in football. 

Oh sure ! "not to offend you" but unlike what you think . basketball is one of my favorite sports. you should know these days internet and other things exist and you don't have to live in Europe or North America to watch basketball from around the world.

but you also should know people have different "taste". I prefer to watch a game between Indonesia and Guam over a regular NBA game. (I only watch playoffs seriously) because that's something "new" for me. I prefer national matches in any sport in general. I don't care much about club competitions when you just can buy a whole new team next year. yeah I watch NBA sometimes or European basketball leagues when there isn't any other thing but I prefer national matches. and I like this format because at least we also can have some international matches during the year (and not just in summer) I know this is probably a unpopular opinion and I said that in start of my previous post but that's not because I can't watch so-called "quality" games. this is just what I prefer to watch. I enjoy to see when players try their everything for the countries. instead of watching NBA when nobody even cares to defend sometimes.

and Slovenia no way deserved to be in the WC. their top players didn't give a shit about their NT when they had the chance in summer. and when the World Cup starts nobody will talk about Slovenia. yeah I feel sorry for Croatia, they tried with their best team. just had bad days. but this is sport. new teams also deserve to try their chances in the World Cup. and who can say Poland didn't deserve to qualify ? they beat a full squad Croatia which is huge for them. even though outside Europe. I can't see even one single surprise (which is unfortunate IMO) in other continents all bigger teams qualified (or will qualify) for the WC. (I hope Uruguay changes that at least)

PS: Denmark Euro Champion in 1992 failed to qualify for World Cup 1994 and the sky didn't fall. and won't fall this time too.

Edited by MHSN

17 hours ago, MHSN said:

Oh sure ! "not to offend you" but unlike what you think . basketball is one of my favorite sports. you should know these days internet and other things exist and you don't have to live in Europe or North America to watch basketball from around the world.

but you also should know people have different "taste". I prefer to watch a game between Indonesia and Guam over a regular NBA game. (I only watch playoffs seriously) because that's something "new" for me. I prefer national matches in any sport in general. I don't care much about club competitions when you just can buy a whole new team next year. yeah I watch NBA sometimes or European basketball leagues when there isn't any other thing but I prefer national matches. and I like this format because at least we also can have some international matches during the year (and not just in summer) I know this is probably a unpopular opinion and I said that in start of my previous post but that's not because I can't watch so-called "quality" games. this is just what I prefer to watch. I enjoy to see when players try their everything for the countries. instead of watching NBA when nobody even cares to defend sometimes.

and Slovenia no way deserved to be in the WC. their top players didn't give a shit about their NT when they had the chance in summer. and when the World Cup starts nobody will talk about Slovenia. yeah I feel sorry for Croatia, they tried with their best team. just had bad days. but this is sport. new teams also deserve to try their chances in the World Cup. and who can say Poland didn't deserve to qualify ? they beat a full squad Croatia which is huge for them. even though outside Europe. I can't see even one single surprise (which is unfortunate IMO) in other continents all bigger teams qualified (or will qualify) for the WC. (I hope Uruguay changes that at least)

PS: Denmark Euro Champion in 1992 failed to qualify for World Cup 1994 and the sky didn't fall. and won't fall this time too.

The point of any qualifying system should be that the best teams qualify and that there is the best possible quality at the event which are they qualifying for. And the point of world governing bodies in sport like FIBA should be that the top teams and the top players participate in their biggest tournaments. Slovenia damn well deserved to be at a world championships because they won european championships, this is how it supposed to work. But FIBA creates all these windows, they are punishing best teams, if you have more good players than you are punished, it's a joke. They punish you for being good. I really can't see how anyone could defend this.

The taste is one thing and quality is another thing. If someone like you have a different taste, that's ok but it doesn't change the facts about competition.

Also, i see I did offend you when I said that you don't watch much of quality basketball, but you just proved my point by saying you don't prefer nba regular season and you watch euroleague matches when there isn't anything else. So, you aren't used to quality basketball all the time. Is it really in interest of average fan in Israel for example to watch live at home Serbian team without its 20 best players. Players for which in Serbia many casual fans haven't heard and to watch that same Serbian team making 25 turnovers in a game. They could see higher quality basketball every week in Tel Aviv in the Euroleague. And let FIBA continue with this path, soon enough the match between Indonesia and Guam will be highest qualty match under their wing. 

PS Denmark failed to qualify to WC but FIFA didn't made competition changes which resulted in Denmark not being able to compete with its best players. 

5 hours ago, LDOG said:

It's just two good teams that won't qualify though... You make it seem like USA, Spain, Lithuania, etc failed too.

Slovenia was better team in Eurobasket than Spain, Lithuania, Serbia etc.

It's not the problem if someone doesn't qualify. It happens all the time. Teams that are better on the paper lose all the time from underdogs, that's what we love about the sports, that's the point. But problem is when teams don't qualify because they weren't able to bring their best team, they didn't have the shot. That doesn't make sense. Instead of FIBA accomodating players, making it easier for them to play for national teams they are making it harder, they are punishing everyone, fans, players, federations, they don't respect the game, they respect only money in their pockets. And the players are those who are suffering the most. Nobody talks about players playing qualification for a competition in which they will not participate. Forget about NBA. European players are having a tough schedule already and they don't have a luxury like in NBA where teams have their own jets and no customs except Canada, and they are going to national teams to play 2 games in 4 days without proper preperation making them look silly on basketball court because teams don't have practice and time to play certain sets, actions etc. They give their best and after all what do they get? Nothing, because some other players are actualy going to China. 

I wonder which qualified nations have the lowest amount of NBA players and so the highest amount of players who helped their team qualify and will actually play in China? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder which qualified nations have the lowest amount of NBA players and so the highest amount of players who helped their team qualify and will actually play in China? 

It's not just the NBA players, Euroleague players are also excluded from this qualification in most of the windows.

For example, Greece has 1 NBA player (but in this case and many others one can make big difference especially given Giannis quality, he's top MVP candidate for now this season) but has many EL players. Greek team that played in Belgrade this week is not going to China, maybe 1 or 2 players from that roster. Serbian team maybe 3,4 guys. German team that played in this last window also missing half of it's roster at least. Spain, France teams that played this window, maybe 1,2 or maybe none players will go to China. Turkey 3 or 4. I'm guessing but it's not too far out. If Montenegro qualifies this team is the nearest to actual team in China but still they are weakened too. 

Letting China play in Asian qualifiers made everybody confused about how they are going to deal with this. I think everybody was assuming wrong . FIBA wrote a confusing line in its website couple weeks ago made it more complicated but finally they made it clear here

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/news/14-world-cup-spots-up-for-grabs-what-teams-have-to-do-in-final-window-to-qualify

we were thinking that if China qualifies as a top 3 team then both 4th placed teams from both group will qualify. but we were wrong. they just don't China's rank in that group. they will consider China's results but not their rank !! FIBA just made a mess with this.

so there is a high possibility that 5 teams from Group E qualify !!! and that 6th team is a weak Syria !! Jordan and Lebanon have very good PD because they had India and Syria in their group. I would curse FIBA right now if we didn't beat Philippines last week :d:dwe really didn't know how crucial was that game. cuz we were almost sure that we will qualify at least as 4th place team in the group. we didn't send half of our main squad to Manila (including almost all of our starters) and our reserve players somehow made a huge surprise and won that game.

Well, fortunately in the other group Philippines has still to play weak KAZ & QAT. JPN has QAT as well but tough away match with IRN. I would say both can reach 7 victories and "beat" the other pool 4th (5th?) placer.

I really hope we don't see both of those garbage teams qualifying. At the very least I don't see Jordan winning both matches and ending with 7-5 record.

24 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Well, fortunately in the other group Philippines has still to play weak KAZ & QAT. JPN has QAT as well but tough away match with IRN. I would say both can reach 7 victories and "beat" the other pool 4th (5th?) placer.

I really hope we don't see both of those garbage teams qualifying. At the very least I don't see Jordan winning both matches and ending with 7-5 record.

well. the thing is there are rumors that New Zealand will send a junior team to the middle east for last 2 games. and if China somehow do the same. then Jordan can qualify with 7-5. their PD will be better than Philippines for sure but probably not better than Japan (and maybe Iran) and we still don't know if we can gather all of our best players for the last window in Tehran. they refused to play this window. so Japan (which is improved a lot lately) beating Iran in Tehran won't be a big surprise.

personally I think China will send a good team to Jordan and will beat them but  that's not a sure thing. and yeah I agree with you in this. Philippines and Japan will be more "fun to watch" in the World Cup comparing to those two teams.

PS: Jordan lost to Lebanon in Beirut by 1pt and they missed 2 FTs in last second by their captain. I believe they are going to regret that at the end.