website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

2 ore fa, Monzanator ha scritto:

Squash? That's like a niche sport. Who actually plays that on pro level? IOC needed decades to have tennis back and squash is probably even less important than badminton?

well, I wouldn't call Squash a niche sport if compared to most of the Current Olympic Sports...

not in terms of high level players, not in terms of development around the world and for sure not in financial terms...

in the men's division, this is a quick summary of Countries' representation in the World Ranking (and I'm only talking of the Pro Tour, the highest level of competition in this discipline...but there are many good players also outside that)...

top 10
EGY
GER
COL
NZL
FRA

Places 10-20
PER
IND
HKG
AUS
ENG
SUI

Places 20-40
WAL
QAT
MEX
SCO
ESP
MAS

and this an Olympic Qualification simulation based on the current world ranking with the top 32 players / max 2 per NOC

EGY 2
GER 2
COL
NZL 2
FRA 2
PER
IND 2
HKG 2
AUS 2
GBR 2
SUI 2
QAT
MEX 2
ESP 2
MAS 2
PAK 2
FIN
USA
CAN
-Cut @ position #73-
First OUT = ARG @ #76

meanwhile this is the current situation in the Women's division...

top 10
EGY
NZL
FRA
ENG
WAL

Places 10-20
USA
HKG
MAS
IND

Places 20-40
AUS
BEL
CAN
NED

Olympic Qualification simulation based on the current world ranking with the top 32 players / max 2 per NOC

EGY 2
NZL 2
FRA 2
GBR 2
USA 2
HKG 2
MAS 2
IND 2
AUS 2
BEL 2
CAN 2
NED
RSA 2
LAT
MEX 2
PAK
PHI
COL
CZE

-Cut @ position #85-

First OUT = FIN @ #86

Financially, there are more tiers of tournaments, with the top class having 160,000/180,000 US $ Prize Money...

If you want more details, the PSA official website and the wiki page should help...

http://www.worldsquash.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_PSA_World_Tour

Edited by phelps

42 minuti fa, Monzanator ha scritto:

Good for them. But I don't see it. Squash being an Olympic sport is a joke. We have tennis & badminton and that's more than enough IMO.

tbh, there's more than one reason that would legitimate Squash as an Olympic Sport more than both Table Tennis and Badminton together...

and for sure, once you have Artistic Swimming, Rhytmic Gymnastics, Trampoline, 3x3 Basketball, Surf, Skateboarding and BMX Freestyle already in the Oympic Schedule, it's no joke at all thinking about Squash getting a chance, too (that said by a non-fan of any raquet sport, tennis more than the others)...

2 godziny temu, Monzanator napisał:

Squash? That's like a niche sport. Who actually plays that on pro level? IOC needed decades to have tennis back and squash is probably even less important than badminton?

Maybe you think so because it is a niche sport in Poland and it's more like sunday recreational activity here, But it is popular worldwide and I think it should be included at olympics. I can't understand why they are still out of olympics.

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

il y a 42 minutes, Monzanator a déclaré:

I'd rather have boxing & wrestling than squash tbh. Won't fight the fanboys of the sport here :rolleyes:

Yeah, sure...

I, for one, have zero interest in this sport, but I can distinguish (or at least trying) between one sport and another whithout relying on personnal/national biases...

IOC needs to make profit though. Who really cares about squash in first place? Badminton has a huge following in Asia but squash? I haven't seen like 5 secs. of this sport on any TV channel I've watched in my life. Hell, even cricket has more TV access even though it's only played by 10 countries in the world.

IOC is also making a profit staging sports that doesn't cost much to have (infrastuctures and quotas wise). Which is defintly the case of squash. That's a - very - important part of the equation.

Squash is not an huge money maker, but it does make money (which means there are people who cares about it somewhere), more so than quite a few olympic sports.

Unfortunatly for you, that Monzanator has or has not watched any given sport in his lifetime is not (yet) an official critera for olympic inclusion.

Edited by De_Gambassi

On 29/01/2019 at 18:21, Monzanator said:

IOC needs to make profit though. Who really cares about squash in first place? Badminton has a huge following in Asia but squash? I haven't seen like 5 secs. of this sport on any TV channel I've watched in my life. Hell, even cricket has more TV access even though it's only played by 10 countries in the world.

Who really cares about modern pentathlon apart from some rare die hard fans? Or artistic swimming? Or rhythmic gymnastics? Even during the Olympics they're not shown on TV here, not even when they show an overview of the day's events. Air rifle shooting makes it on TV just because it's usually the very first event, I wonder if it actually has some real popularity somewhere outside of major sports fans.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Il 29/1/2019 Alle 18:21, Monzanator ha scritto:

I expect in the editions following Paris 2024 an increase in number of sport and athletes, (and possibly in the duration), taking part to the Olympics. That is because with broadcasters like Eurosport which are able to cover EVERY moment of the games, it will be possible to satisfy all. Obviously, public TVs will keep their daily programme schedule covering 16 hours of sports, but they will also have a chance of creating alliances with other broadcasters to grant 100% coverage with online streaming. I cannot stand RAI (the Italian public television), especially in this period in which it has been occupied by the disastrous government we have, but I have always admitted that with Rio Olympics they made a great work. The real economic trouble in organizing the Olympics, in my view, mainly stands in two things: infrastructures and venues. If IOC reduces its requirements for venues, it may happen that the interest for organizing the Olympics increases, because, after all, IOC gives nearly 1 Billion $ as organizing contribute, definitely not low.

Edited by AlFHg

Il y a 1 heure , AlFHg a déclaré:

The real economic trouble in organizing the Olympics, in my view, mainly stands in two things: infrastructures and venues. If IOC reduces its requirements for venues, it may happen that the interest for organizing the Olympics increases, because, after all, IOC gives nearly 1 Billion $ as organizing contribute, definitely not low.

If by requirements, you mean venues capacity. I don't believe it would make much of a difference. Many of the stands used are temporary nowadays (and are dirt cheap), and no one is going to build a 10,000 seats permanent ballpark anymore when there are hardly 10 baseball players in the whole country (Athens, hi)

Besides, we have seen with Sion, that even a bid with no building requirements could fail. The problem goes deeper than that.