website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t think either of them will make it, they’re not favorites

I disagree. Squash is probably one of the favourites to go on to the program. It has 3 positives:

1) Venue costs are low, and in theory can fit.share into a venue already later in the competition.

2) France has a top 10 ranked player in men's and women's

3) The athlete quota is only 64, gender neutral and can fit into the current program.

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Hide contents

Don't worry, it won't happen.

I'm sure if FIPV introduces in 2022 an event which is mixed gender neutral U22 3 people per team, with two sets played at 6.4 points a duration of no more than 143.68 seconds per set and some random repechage, then they pretty much get iin with something around 56 quotas.

Il y a 9 heures , intoronto a déclaré:

I disagree. Squash is probably one of the favourites to go on to the program. It has 3 positives:

1) Venue costs are low, and in theory can fit.share into a venue already later in the competition.

2) France has a top 10 ranked player in men's and women's

3) The athlete quota is only 64, gender neutral and can fit into the current program.

4) Could be set up in any iconic parisian landmak

5) Has a relative good youth appeal (it isn't skateboarding, but it's not pétanque either)

6) The international federation has a french president (can't hurt)

It's basically thicking every boxes . BUT, it's squash, they should allready be in, yet they failed multiple times. They proved how shit they are at lobying the olympic mouvement. So who knows.

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

4) Could be set up in any iconic parisian landmak

5) Has a relative good youth appeal (it isn't skateboarding, but it's not pétanque either)

6) The international federation has a french president (can't hurt)

It's basically thicking every boxes . BUT, it's squash, they should allready be in, yet they failed multiple times. They proved how shit they are at lobying the olympic mouvement. So who knows.

I'm not a big fan of squash but, at least here in Britain, it's the sport that people who don't follow the Olympics are most surprised that it's not included in the Games.

Il y a 1 heure , Monzanator a déclaré:

Squash? That's like a niche sport. Who actually plays that on pro level? IOC needed decades to have tennis back and squash is probably even less important than badminton?

If squash is niche, then a good amount of olympic sports is niche also. Squash actually has a pro tier whithout even being an olympic sport, contrary to some olympic sports who would be dead in a week if it was not for their olympic statut.

8 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

If squash is niche, then a good amount of olympic sports is niche also. Squash actually has a pro tier whithout even being an olympic sport, contrary to some olympic sports who would be dead in a week if it was not for their olympic statut.

I can only imagine squash has a ton of failed tennis prospects to boost their status? :lol:

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I can only imagine squash has a ton of failed tennis prospects to boost their status? :lol:

Nope they have a real legit Pro Tour. It’s definitely one of the better ones too. I’d say it’s on par with tennis, badminton, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Nope they have a real legit Pro Tour. It’s definitely one of the better ones too. I’d say it’s on par with tennis, badminton, etc.

Good for them. But I don't see it. Squash being an Olympic sport is a joke. We have tennis & badminton and that's more than enough IMO.