website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

8 minuti fa, Quasit ha scritto:

"Sport" can be defined in many ways, it's not absolute.

Allow me to ask in a provocative way. You wouldn't mind eSports if Italy was good at them, right? ;)

Italy is pretty good in some esports, but they aren't sport... no way, they don't deserve an Olympic place

This discussion is becoming quite nice :d to answer @Quasit's provocation, there are many other sports that should be included in which Italy could win many medals, like roller sports, other track cycling events, natural luge, speed skiing. Plus, I think that IOC should first of all consolidate and increase the agonistic level of the Olympics, (and this passes through increasing the number of athletes, according to me). OBVIOUSLY, (sorry, I get bored finding font modification :d ), if e-sport is included, I will cheer for Italy and won't get disappointed if it wins. And, as @Gianlu33 said, it isn't that impossible. 

Regarding if motorsport is/isn't a sport, I think that is very physical: you have to be well trained to stand the g-force in the curves, so it also has a very physical aspect, and that's why it wouldn't total disappoint me. Plus, it would be curious to see karts and minibikes fighting for gold medals, maybe it could work.

A very interesting discussion regards the equipment. Let's assume for a second that motorsport enters the olympics. In that case I would agree with those saying that equipment should be standardized, because very small parts of the karts/bikes (At least in my knowledge) can be customizable for riders' confort. Quite different is the situation for other sports, in which the physical effort is still the key point, like in track cycling: there, almost all parts are customizable for every rider in order to optimize the efforts of the athletes. Probably, the truth stands in the middle: some rules for the equipment should be given in order to minimize differences given by the equipment. On the other hand, it would be very unfair for some nations to totally avoid technical development, so the solution would be that IOC should start giving out more sport fellowship to less developed nations and, most of all, create its own "training facilities" for these athletes so they can train with best equipment, maybe become expert in engineering (because, after all, fellowship is given also for studying)  or stuff like that and then increase their own nation level.

I imagine motorsports would be like sailing where everyone uses the same car/bike. As for esports another issue it faces is the ever changing landscape of games played, especially among sport games which sees releases every year. What's popular also changes quite rapidly which makes it challenging to pick which games will be featured at least two years in advance.

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I imagine motorsports would be like sailing where everyone uses the same car/bike. As for esports another issue it faces is the ever changing landscape of games played, especially among sport games which sees releases every year. What's popular also changes quite rapidly which makes it challenging to pick which games will be featured at least two years in advance.

This should be no problem, most major tournaments have been played with the same games for more than two years if I'm not mistaken. 

My main problem with that is that 6 years might be a lot harder, and the program for the Olympics should be all set and done 6 years before the Olympics. I know that's not the case in reality, but that's stupid :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This should be no problem, most major tournaments have been played with the same games for more than two years if I'm not mistaken. 

My main problem with that is that 6 years might be a lot harder, and the program for the Olympics should be all set and done 6 years before the Olympics. I know that's not the case in reality, but that's stupid :p 

Fortnite came out last year and is ranked 11th in worldwide prize pools, if things continue it'd be one of the top games by next year. There's also the issue of companies releasing sequels before the Olympics, how would they handle a Dota 3 or League of Legends 2? If they are successful there may not be too many high level people playing the prequels.

Yeah, six years is practically a generation in gaming, at least with two years you have a general idea of what's coming out.

33 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

This discussion is becoming quite nice :d to answer @Quasit's provocation, there are many other sports that should be included in which Italy could win many medals, like roller sports, other track cycling events, natural luge, speed skiing. Plus, I think that IOC should first of all consolidate and increase the agonistic level of the Olympics, (and this passes through increasing the number of athletes, according to me). OBVIOUSLY, (sorry, I get bored finding font modification :d ), if e-sport is included, I will cheer for Italy and won't get disappointed if it wins. And, as @Gianlu33 said, it isn't that impossible.

Big yes for Roller Sports, just like Squash I don't know for how much longer they will have to wait for inclusion.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

3 ore fa, Quasit ha scritto:

"Sport" can be defined in many ways, it's not absolute.

GAISF even separates them into primarily physical, primarily mind-based, primarily motorised, primarily coordination and primarily animal-supported. Interestingly, eSports doesn't fall under any of that as of now.

Allow me to ask in a provocative way. You wouldn't mind eSports if Italy was good at them, right? ;)

actually, there's only 1 definition of the word "sport" in any vocabulary (encyclopedia)...

and it's the one I posted earlier (even if I also wrote that I don't care too much of definitions...and not only in this specific case)...

by the way, to answer your question: no, I don't mind eSports at all (as I don't mind Italy being a powerhouse -or close to that- in sports I don't follow at all, like artistic swimming and/or rhythmic gymnastics)...I'm just not interested in such activity...;)

hace 2 horas, Quasit said:

Big yes for Roller Sports, just like Squash I don't know for how much longer they will have to wait for inclusion.

The problem is, what you take out to put those two in?

I love Roller racing and Squash is kind of entertaining, but I rather had climbing continue in the games...

I'm not interested in esports at all, but they have a lot of followers. In Asian Games youtube streamings only athletics (and not all the time) have more watchers than them. Is a market place.

And if IOC wants new audiences that's a way to explore them, not adding judo mixed event.

I don't see any other sport that would add such new watchers to the game as Esports would do. Not even karting.