website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Exactly ! My feelings, it was something in the early 2000s because of her and all that boom :lol:, but nowadays I can not remember the last time I saw a kid with skateborad...ah that beautiful era, nostalgia :p

Exactly, that was a thing when I was a teenager... get over it Gold Medal winner Thomas Bach, 1976, fencing.

Though I do see myself as a traditionalist, I do really feel rather sad reading some of the comments here. It feels elitist (can't believe I'm actually using the word that I'm usually fighting against)

I do agree that the IOC are making some bad decisions. Breaking is terrible and I would prefer not having surfing or skating (at least not yetconsidering the governing situation).

But destroying the sport? In the very worst case it could be the start, but really? There are still plenty of sports for us to watch. 
I'm not gonna watch a second of surfing and the only skating will be Rune Glifbjerg's runs (if he qualifies) and it will be the same with breaking in 2024.

And yes, those quotas could have been filled by other sports or events, and I would absolutely have prefered that.

But come on. Show at least a little bit of respect. It's not like these sports come from nowhere. Somebody wants them in the Games, and that's not just people in the IOC. Some have been fighting for it for some time.

And BTW, I see plenty of skaters. It's not even that long since I could see some on the main pedestrian street in Aarhus having some fun, just as I know of a few fine places for skating in Denmark.

And gender equality. That's the way things are going and the IOC shouldn't really be blamed for several federations sleeping. Once again, I would prefer another approach than what taken by the IOC, but I support the idea.

Quota limits and saving money? Seriously, have you seen how bids die one by one? I would love to see the Olympics with way more events, but that would NOT be reasonable!

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

"Gender equaity" for exemple. Bach might have formalised it, but it was in the making for a long time before him. We didn't wait for Bach to introduce both female wrestling and boxing.

(percentage of women events during the summer olympics)

Women_percent_summer_olympics.png

And honestly as much I don't like that policy at all, I understant why IOC could have chosen to cave in under political pressures. Bach or not Bach il would have make little difference.

It's the same for your other points really, it's only IOC trying to survive the current economic and political climate. I'm not taking Bach for responsable here. There is little him or some other guy could do.

Gender equality follows political changes in that area. So, yes, you are completelly right.

When i see your chart, i see that percentage of women doubled in the period between 1980-2000. Samaranch was president in that period. That's a period when women got (well deserved) rights in majority areas of life. And i fully support this. I like to see women in sports, in every sport, to be precise. But these days we have 6 women weight categories in wrestling. Same as in MFS and GR. Thats artificial equality. Excluding men's categories where fights are much more interesting to watch, in order to have 6 women's categories (women wrestling just doesnt have that "x-factor")...Up until 2012 it was fine. Now 6-6-6. Thats why i mentioned Bach. 

Bach is just one figure that has to adapt to political and other pressures. So, i agree with you. Somehow, i hope to see strong sport administrators, who wont "dance as governments say" but i now its utopic. When rigid Saudi Arabia had to send female athletes, then its obvious that there is a huge force above sport officials. 

I feel in which direction Olympics are heading, and i dont like it. I also know that, for IOC, fans are just "sand in the see" and that they wont listen us but at least  we can express our dissatisfaction with those changes.

Edited by ChandlerMne

54 minutes ago, Agger said:

Though I do see myself as a traditionalist, I do really feel rather sad reading some of the comments here. It feels elitist (can't believe I'm actually using the word that I'm usually fighting against)

I do agree that the IOC are making some bad decisions. Breaking is terrible and I would prefer not having surfing or skating (at least not yetconsidering the governing situation).

But destroying the sport? In the very worst case it could be the start, but really? There are still plenty of sports for us to watch. 
I'm not gonna watch a second of surfing and the only skating will be Rune Glifbjerg's runs (if he qualifies) and it will be the same with breaking in 2024.

And yes, those quotas could have been filled by other sports or events, and I would absolutely have prefered that.

But come on. Show at least a little bit of respect. It's not like these sports come from nowhere. Somebody wants them in the Games, and that's not just people in the IOC. Some have been fighting for it for some time.

And BTW, I see plenty of skaters. It's not even that long since I could see some on the main pedestrian street in Aarhus having some fun, just as I know of a few fine places for skating in Denmark.

And gender equality. That's the way things are going and the IOC shouldn't really be blamed for several federations sleeping. Once again, I would prefer another approach than what taken by the IOC, but I support the idea.

Quota limits and saving money? Seriously, have you seen how bids die one by one? I would love to see the Olympics with way more events, but that would NOT be reasonable!

I think everyone supports the idea in it's basic sense. The problem is taking away perfectly competitive events and replacing them by events that either are barely competitive or don't even exist in an established competition format yet (women's monobob as main example, it's been added to the Olympics for 2022 and it's not even a World Cup event yet (and I don't see it on next year's calendar neither). That's just nuts, whoever's fault it is.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think everyone supports the idea in it's basic sense. The problem is taking away perfectly competitive events and replacing them by events that either are barely competitive or don't even exist in an established competition format yet (women's monobob as main example, it's been added to the Olympics for 2022 and it's not even a World Cup event yet (and I don't see it on next year's calendar neither). That's just nuts, whoever's fault it is.

I don’t think even the athletes like the idea if monobob tbh.