website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 08:48, dcro said:

Oh, please, you make it sound like an Olympic movement has hit a great depression. From where I come from, pretty much everyone understands what the Olympics are, unlike skateboarding that nobody cares about (not even children).

Did people there care about skateboarding at some point? Because I seem to vaguely remember it was a bit of a big deal (or better, a 'not super small deal') 15 years ago or something when kids were actually trying it and going to school on their skateboard, but nowadays maybe I see someone with a skateboard once every two weeks or something :d 

Adding skateboarding to the Olympics is the absolute perfect example of old people thinking what kids did many years ago is now cool.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

40 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Did people there care about skateboarding at some point? Because I seem to vaguely remember it was a bit of a big deal (or better, a 'not super small deal') 15 years ago or something when kids were actually trying it and going to school on their skateboard

Exactly ! My feelings, it was something in the early 2000s because of her and all that boom :lol:, but nowadays I can not remember the last time I saw a kid with skateborad...ah that beautiful era, nostalgia :p

Just now, hckosice said:

Exactly ! My feelings, it was something in the early 2000s because of her and all that boom :lol:, but nowadays I can not remember the last time I saw a kid with skateborad...ah that beautiful era, nostalgia :p

Yeah it's not kids I see with a skateboard, only (very rarely) some hipster taking it into the train :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 25 minutes, heywoodu a dit :

Did people there care about skateboarding at some point? Because I seem to vaguely remember it was a bit of a big deal (or better, a 'not super small deal') 15 years ago or something when kids were actually trying it and going to school on their skateboard, but nowadays maybe I see someone with a skateboard once every two weeks or something :d 

Adding skateboarding to the Olympics is the absolute perfect example of old people thinking what kids did many years ago is now cool.

I had a Bart Simpson skateboard when I was nine. So yes, very much.

Le 03/07/2019 à 16:50, ChandlerMne a dit :

IMO, last "good" games were London 2012. After that, Bach is steadily killing Olympics. He is doing that in few simple but effective steps.

1. Reducing number of athletes by any cost

2. Artificially equaling gender representation

3. Adding some sports which are "urban" and youth appealing (are they sport at all is a question to discuss)

4. Destroying traditional sports by reducing categories or even disciplines and by adding some mix competitions which are pointless

5. Saving as much money as possible

Maybe i am old, but i started to like olympics when they were "normal". This V2010+ version is...blah... not my cup of tea.

All of this were allready put in place (to various degrees) before Bach.

2 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

All of this were allready put in place (to various degrees) before Bach.

Roggue is responsible mainly for 1) and 5). Maybe he also initialised other changes but all of them were formalised under Bach. 

I would like to hear your opinion, with some details. 

il y a 3 minutes, ChandlerMne a dit :

Roggue is responsible mainly for 1) and 5). Maybe he also initialised other changes but all of them were formalised under Bach. 

I would like to hear your opinion, with some details. 

"Gender equaity" for exemple. Bach might have formalised it, but it was in the making for a long time before him. We didn't wait for Bach to introduce both female wrestling and boxing.

(percentage of women events during the summer olympics)

Women_percent_summer_olympics.png

And honestly as much I don't like that policy at all, I understant why IOC could have chosen to cave in under political pressures. Bach or not Bach il would have make little difference.

It's the same for your other points really, it's only IOC trying to survive the current economic and political climate. I'm not taking Bach for responsable here. There is little him or some other guy could do.