website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

Sorry but I don't think there is huge participation from Africa and majority of Asia.

Africa actually has some decent participation. All of North Africa, South Africa, Botswana, Senegal, Nigeria, Madagascar, etc. The 2018 Asian Games also proved that Asia has good skaters too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

No, Skateboarding is a sport, and there are positives for inclusion in the Olympics. It’s not an expensive sport (unless you make it so), it’s participation is near universal, and it is loved by many in my generation so it probably will help some people get more interested in the Olympics 

I don't care about money, football is an under23 event and it's completly unless and it's one for the most expensive sport at OG.
I don't care about young peoples, they follow all sport, not just skatboard.
I dont' care about the universal participation, just becouse skateboard is played seriusly in 5-6 NOC.

I don't care about skateboard and some stupid things like it (see breakdance), they aren't sport.

I don't care about the fuc**ing Bach's presidency, he destroy the OG step by step.

23 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, I can skateboard anywhere. Kids in Afghanistan are skateboarding, not practicing karate.

kids everywhere play foosball , maybe IOC can add that too. or E-sports . I'm sure all of us at least played that once. that's very universal ! much more than skateboarding.

what people do for "fun" is different than real sports.

PS: and no kids in Afghanistan are not skateboarding,

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

kids everywhere play foosball , maybe IOC can add that too. or E-sports . I'm sure all of us at least played that once. that's very universal ! much more than skateboarding.

what people do for "fun" is different than real sports.

PS: and no kids in Afghanistan are not skateboarding,

I mean there’s video evidence of it. It get what you guys are all saying don’t get me wrong. Am I happy that Skateboarding is in the Olympics? No. Did I want Skateboarding Olympics? Not right now. Was Skateboarding going to be an Olympic sport one day? Yes. Is Skateboarding a sport? Yes. (And it least it involves physical activity, way more than e-sports or shooting). I pride myself on progressive views. There is absolutely no reason to not look forward. Skateboarding is something that the younger generations are passionate about, along with all the traditional sports. I think it is perfectly ok for Skateboarding to feature in the Olympics (though I think it’s inclusion was a little premature. There were a few issues that needed to be figured out that the IOC dismissed, and now we have a bit of a mess).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

After what snowboarding and freestyle skiing did to widen the appeal of the Winter Olympics it was always a matter of time before skateboarding was added to the summer Olympics. The governance is a mess, the rules aren't good and I don't think anybody has really come up with a good competition format but, ultimately, I think Tony Hawk's quote about the Olympics needing skateboarding more than skateboarding needs the Olympics is correct.

Given the potential upsides, the cheap and flexible venue, the small number of athlete quotas required and the self sustaining professional scene that has existed for decades, including skateboarding in the Olympics was such an obvious decision the only question we should be asking is why the IOC didn't bend the rules to accommodate it earlier.

This isn't a weird move like including breakdancing, which was the answer to a question nobody asked.

Edited by NearPup

5 hours ago, NearPup said:

I think Tony Hawk's quote about the Olympics needing skateboarding more than skateboarding needs the Olympics is correct.

Oh, please, you make it sound like an Olympic movement has hit a great depression. From where I come from, pretty much everyone understands what the Olympics are, unlike skateboarding that nobody cares about (not even children).

#banbestmen

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I mean there’s video evidence of it. It get what you guys are all saying don’t get me wrong. (...)

It's called propaganda...they let you see what they want you to see...

In Afghanistan there are still only a very few girls able to come out of their homes and go to school (and risking their lives and those of their families because of that)...and only in Kaboul, because if you go to Kandahar (Taliban's cradle) or in all the small villages outside the Capital, that's just a dream, rather than the daily reality...

please, don't get fooled by a few sons of the richest people in that Country that can do whatever they want in their backyards...skateboarding is not something you can normally do over there...

3 hours ago, phelps said:

It's called propaganda...they let you see what they want you to see...

In Afghanistan there are still only a very few girls able to come out of their homes and go to school (and risking their lives and those of their families because of that)...and only in Kaboul, because if you go to Kandahar (Taliban's cradle) or in all the small villages outside the Capital, that's just a dream, rather than the daily reality...

please, don't get fooled by a few sons of the richest people in that Country that can do whatever they want in their backyards...skateboarding is not something you can normally do over there...

I’m well aware of the situation in Afghanistan, and I still stand by my point. @NearPup makes a great argument too for skateboardings inclusion. Skateboarding in the Olympics isn’t the end of the world (but Breaking in the Olympics definitely is). 

15 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I mean there’s video evidence of it. It get what you guys are all saying don’t get me wrong. Am I happy that Skateboarding is in the Olympics? No. Did I want Skateboarding Olympics? Not right now. Was Skateboarding going to be an Olympic sport one day? Yes. Is Skateboarding a sport? Yes. (And it least it involves physical activity, way more than e-sports or shooting). I pride myself on progressive views. There is absolutely no reason to not look forward. Skateboarding is something that the younger generations are passionate about, along with all the traditional sports. I think it is perfectly ok for Skateboarding to feature in the Olympics (though I think it’s inclusion was a little premature. There were a few issues that needed to be figured out that the IOC dismissed, and now we have a bit of a mess).

I just answered to your comparison of Skateboarding and Karate and which one is more universal. and about the video evidence, give me a name of any sport and I can make a video of some random kids doing that here !

I'm not a huge fan of Karate being into the Olympics (mostly because of bad management but they are improving) but still even long before Karate making into the Olympics we always had something like 100 countries particularizing in World Championships. tell me which non-Olympic sport has such a big number ?

you say the younger generations are passionate about Skateboarding, but where ? 4-5 countries are not equal to the whole world. for most people it's still just a fun activity.

I have no problem with Skateboarding but let the sport being organized first and has its own World Championship for 10-20 years before even thinking about adding it into the Games.

IMO, last "good" games were London 2012. After that, Bach is steadily killing Olympics. He is doing that in few simple but effective steps.

1. Reducing number of athletes by any cost

2. Artificially equaling gender representation

3. Adding some sports which are "urban" and youth appealing (are they sport at all is a question to discuss)

4. Destroying traditional sports by reducing categories or even disciplines and by adding some mix competitions which are pointless

5. Saving as much money as possible

Maybe i am old, but i started to like olympics when they were "normal". This V2010+ version is...blah... not my cup of tea.