website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

11 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

karate is played worldwide unlike skateboarding in 5 countries

Skateboarding has a larger audience, but yes there are established nations in the sport

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Too bad for the athletes, but I still find it an excellent decision. 

actually, I find it the most stupid decision ever...:facepalm::hairpull::thumbdown:

Karate is one of the most universal sport in the world, usually at the world champs we have all the 5 Continents (6 sub-Continents, if you want to keep North and South America as 2 separate entities), 4 of them making the podium...

many weight classes have more than 100 starters (with the usual limitation to 1 per NOC! :yikes:)...

but they decided to give them just 10 spots per class and they didn't even allowed all 6 classes per gender to be in Tokyo...and then...bang! they killed the sport and its athletes for what? breakdancing! a non-sport activity played by a bunch of babies with street (often criminal) culture as their main background...

the same for skateboarding, BMX freestyle...and all the other sports where you have always the usual 5/6 participating Countries and only the usual 3 Nations winning (almost) all the medals...

and let's not talk about corrupted or doping inflated sports (do you know Boxing and Weightlifting?), always under threat to be dropped and actually never really in danger...

or what about sports where only the 2nd/3rd tier athletes are participating to the Games (any reference to men's Football and Baseball is purely intentional)...

moreover...they threatened to drop many sports because they're male-only oriented (causing abominable monsters like women's boxing to be included in the Olympic schedule), but they keep Artistic Swimming and Rhythmic Gymnastics well stuck into the program (and they even forbid those few men practicing Artistic Swimming to dream about an Olympic medal keeping the Mixed Duo -now an established event at the world champs- far away from the Olympics)...

dropping that sh*t would be an excellent decision...not dropping one of the most wide spread sport in the world...:evil::pope::wall:

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Sport Climbing is 3,000 times better than both, and I much prefer taekwondo to karate.

well, that's your more than respectable opinion...

but still, it's only an opinion...;)

and decisions about being part of the Olympic program or not should be taken on the basis of facts and numbers, not opinions...:evil:

p.s. and if we consider breakdancing (and any other similar activity), they just have nothing to do with sport and with the Olympic Games for objective reasons...

moreover, putting 12 years young kids together with adult people and letting them competing one against the others is simply DISGUSTING and IMMORAL!!!!!!

those who just thought about such a shame should spend the rest of their lives in jail!

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

Let's not pretending that we don't know why Karate is not an allready established olympics sport. This is beacause of 'dancing around with your feet up and not doing much' which translates in Korean as 'Taekwondo'. 

ok, if you don't know and/or don't like Karate, it's your taste...it's OK and should not be commented...

but denigrating it with false interpretation is not elegant at all and shouldn't be an option...:finger:

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, that's your more than respectable opinion...

but still, it's only an opinion...;)

and decisions about being part of the Olympic program or not should be taken on the basis of facts and numbers, not opinions...:evil:

p.s. and if we consider breakdancing (and any other similar activity), they just have nothing to do with sport and with the Olympic Games for objective reasons...

moreover, putting 12 years young kids together with adult people and letting them competing one against the others is simply DISGUSTING and IMMORAL!!!!!!

those who just thought about such a shame should spend the rest of their lives in jail!

Well, yours are also opinions. ;)

Don't get me wrong, breakdancing was the most stupid decision ever (which is also an opinion) but I like most of the other sports you don't like, or you don't consider sports for that matter. But would you rather have an Olympics with only 12 events like the Ancient Olympics? That would be uninteresting.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

il y a 1 minute, phelps a dit :

ok, if you don't know and/or don't like Karate, it's your taste...it's OK and should not be commented...

but denigrating it with false interpretation is not elegant at all and shouldn't be an option...:finger:

Read again please. 

4 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Let's not pretending that we don't know why Karate is not an allready established olympics sport. This is beacause of 'dancing around with your feet up and not doing much' which translates in Korean as 'Taekwondo'. 

I'm not a "huge" fan of Karate but I defend Karate when I see skateboarding or breakdancing are in the program !

but I don't know why people even compare karate with taekwondo !! taekwondo is about 95% kicking and 5% punching while Kaarate is about 80% punching and 20% kicking beside that in taekwondo you have to hit as hard as possible while in Karate you will get penalized if you hit hard !

you will find more similarities between football and handball