website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

41 minutes ago, dcro said:

Men's football (even U23) is certainly the most global Olympic team sport. Just for that it deserves to stay.

Being global is important, but is or should not be that much more important than having a competitive field with as many of the best competitors in the world as possible.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The simple answer is to increase athlete quotas and have the Olympics be hosted across 2-3 metro areas in a nation.

1 hour ago, wumo26 said:

I have a solution that will release many athletes/quotas. Get rid of football!  That are 504 athlete quotas. 

Olympics should be a stage where we see the best athletes in every sport. Do any expect to see Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, etc..  at the Olympics in Tokyo? 

If football doesn't begin to take it's role as an olympic sport seriously, I would mean that many other sports deserve a chance at the Olympics instead of football. 

p.s I'm a massive football fan. The sport I watch the most is, with no doubt, football. Both club and international matches. I love the sport and I find it to be a disgrace to watch Olympic football compared to the World Cup, especially for the best teams. The Olympics should at least have the same level or status as the World Cup. 

I agree with both of these statements. Definitely would be fine with kicking out boxing and adding Squash and Climbing with the quotas that creates.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Right, appearing once thanks to a questionable decision makes you an "Olympic sport". Inside the Games seems to be very slanted towards karate. They have (repetitive) articles about it almost every day. :wacko:

image.png

They are sponsored by quite a few NF's and I'd suspect WKF is one of them...

57 minutes ago, intoronto said:

They are sponsored by quite a few NF's and I'd suspect WKF is one of them...

Yes, they run ads often. However, I chat with most of them and I think they just prefer Karate to the other new sports. Plus, as a student journalist, I know that writing on controversial topics is fun and easy.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, they run ads often. However, I chat with most of them and I think they just prefer Karate to the other new sports. Plus, as a student journalist, I know that writing on controversial topics is fun and easy.

More often they write about not very controversial topics though, unless you want a big fight about who is the new vice-president of Togo's boules federation or something. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

More often they write about not very controversial topics though, unless you want a big fight about who is the new vice-president of Togo's boules federation or something. 

Those are my favorite types of articles.

• 2 months later...