website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

I feel really bad for the Karate and Softball athletes, but IMO Climbing, Skateboarding and Surfing were the clear top three choice to retain from 2020. They are all extremely unique compared to the current offering of summer sports, cheap to host and have a lot of potential to grow the audience. The winter Olympics have benefited greatly from the addition of non-traditional events like half-pipe, snowboardcross/skicross, slopestyle and big air precisely because it appeals beyond the “core audience” while still clearly being sports that bellong in an event like the Olympics, and I can see climbing, skateboarding and surfing fulfiling a similar role.

No idea what to make of breakdancing, seems like an odd sport. But I actually think it makes more sense than some of the events the IOC has added recently (*cough* 3x3 Basketball *cough*).

Squash not being added *again* is a joke.

Edited by NearPup

I'm very disappointed for karate which totally deserves to be a core sport as it's really universal and combines artistic and fighting. 

Like many of you guys i'm totally against breakdancing and i think IOC youth policy is wrong because ioc point of view about young people is biased.

When we were younger we all enjoyed watching all day and all night the olympics, and this is not going to disappear imho. I m not sure that because of breakdancing young people will be more interested in watching fencing, equestrian or rowing, or just waking up at 4 pm to watch bboys whith silly nicknames competing for a place in the final

I don't think that any event in which, even for some top athletes, being "cool" is more important that trying to get the best possible results can be described as "clearly a sport that belongs in the Olympics".

Sad for karate, it will be a disaster for many athletes.

I get Karate is a semi decent popular sport but it really briged nothing new to the games, just another marcial art. Kata's were the only *new* thing about them and most people despite them... I'd rather had non-combat Wushu, is awesome.

IMO isn't a big lost, they only made the games cause Japan wanted some golds....

2 godziny temu, Nate River napisał:

But I actually think it makes more sense than some of the events the IOC has added recently (*cough* 3x3 Basketball *cough*).

3x3 basketball is great! I love it! And not only because Polish team is good. 

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

1 hour ago, O_faiax said:

Btw I m sure they will add e sports in 2028, when the olympic movement will be ready enough as they say. I m already planning to go to Lausanne with my yellow jacket, if someone wants to join me...

The IOC already said e-sports is a while from being added.